A Song For July

Tools    

Uuugh a little longer as I'm out later than I thought!
You're not related to my wife by any chance are you - her 2 hours tend to be nearer 6 more often than not

Let the night air cool you off
1. Kanye West - Black Skinhead
- I'm a big fan of Kanye the person and Kanye the artist. I think he's an important figure in pop culture. In a pile-on, follow-the-leader culture, Kanye stands out as someone who is willing to do his own thing and not apologize for it. Oh yeah, this song go hard.

2. Brotha Lynch Hung - Return of Da Baby Killa
- Considering I'd never heard of this dude, I'd say he completely exceeded expectations. He's very skilled. I'm into the goofy horrorcore stuff, so even lyrically I'm impressed. I don't know how hard it is to come up with ideas for this subgenre, but the word play and internal rhyming and stuff like that is not an easy thing to do.

3. Prince - U Got the Look
- Prince was a musical auteur.

4. Dr Dre ft.. Snoop Dogg - Nuthin but a "G" thang
- That beat is undeniable. It's the smoothest, flow-iest beat that I can think of off the top of my head. Lyrically... well... I mean, the beat is fantastic.

5. Cathedral - Soul Sacrifice
- Yeah, I just really dug this. This is metal music that is palatable for me.

6. Isengard - I kamp med Kvitekrist
- I couldn't ignore what Spaulding said about the music being buried so I focused on that a little too much, but I really, really dug the music. I ended up being kinda intrigued by the vocals/music separation.

7. black midi - bmbmbm
- I get that their idea was to use the singer's voice as an instrument to add to the madness that is this song, but at some point, maybe just let the awesome music speak for itself. When he starts really playing the guitar, he moves around like he really, really thinks he's a frontman, so good for him.

8. Jim Reeves - A Letter To My Heart (Dear Heart)
- Smooth as hell. It's very much classic country, and it's pretty dark that the music is so smooth and the dude is asking his heart to stop beating.

9. The Knux - Bang! Bang!
- I can't decide if I like the beat or completely hate it. The rapping is pretty solid stuff.

10. Porcupine Tree - Trains
- Not a big fan of the vocals. The music is pretty interesting.

11. Ylvis - The Cabin
- I didn't think much of this was all that funny. The Taj Mahal joke worked for me.

12. A Day To Remember - If It Means A Lot To You
- Not for me, I don't think.

1. Dr Dre
2. The Knux
3. Prince
4. Porcupine Tree
5. A Day to Remember
6. Kanye West
7. Brotha Lynch Hung
8. Jim Reeves
9. Isengard
10. Cathedral
11. Black Midi
12. Ylvis

1. Prince - U Got the Look
  2. Porcupine Tree - Trains
  3. Brotha Lynch Hung - Return of Da Baby Killa
  4. Kanye West - Black Skinhead
  5. The Knux - Bang! Bang!
  6. Jim Reeves - A Letter To My Heart
  7. A Day To Remember - If It Means A Lot To You
  8. Dr Dre ft.Snoop Dogg - Nuthin but a "G" thang
  9. black midi - bmbmbm
  10. Ylvis - The Cabin
  11. Cathedral - Soul Sacrifice
  12. Isengard - I kamp med Kvitekrist

1. Porcupine Tree - Trains
LOVE love LOVE Procupine Tree from In Absentia onwards.

Brotha Lynch Hung - Return of Da Baby Killa
Interesting. With me and rap it's always backing music first, then rhythm, flow and timbre of rapping style, then if I'm lucky the lyrics will be good and not cringey.

Cathedral - Soul Sacrifice
Love a bit of Cathedral.

black midi - bmbmbm
Not bad...

Dr Dre ft.. Snoop Dogg - Nuthin but a "G" thang
Not really the kind of rap I get interested in. It's ok, but doesn't blow my skirt up.

Ylvis - The Cabin
I put this in as some comic relief, alhtough it's VERY Scandinavian humour wise. These guys put out a song that swept Europe like a disease a few years ago with "The Fox". They're like a Norwegian Flight of the Conchords, except without having a tv series behind them. Each song they do is a slightly different genre, I guess you have to be Scandinavian to really get it. This is cheesy as hell on purpose, but my god, they really go for it with the backing vocals, Earth Wind and Fire Style.

Kanye West - Black Skinhead
I reeeallly want to like his music more than I actually do.

Prince - U Got the Look
I guess he's just not my thing.

The Knux - Bang! Bang!

A Day To Remember - If It Means A Lot To You

Isengard - I kamp med Kvitekrist

Jim Reeves - A Letter To My Heart (Dear Heart)

@Captain Spaulding what do you dislike about Kanye the person?
It's kinda personal, but since you ask . . . Caitlyn had said she'd let me have her scrotum, which I'd planned on stitching into a purse to give to my mom for mother's day, when Kanye found out and flipped his lid. Apparently he wanted it for some pretentious art exhibit. I'm not mad or anything. They're family. Kanye has more of a right to Caitlyn's detached scrotum than I do, but he didn't to have to freak out on me.

It's okay, though. Mr. Kim Kardashian's inflated ego can withstand the negative opinion of one random clown.

2. Brotha Lynch Hung - Return of Da Baby Killa
- Considering I'd never heard of this dude, I'd say he completely exceeded expectations. He's very skilled. I'm into the goofy horrorcore stuff, so even lyrically I'm impressed. I don't know how hard it is to come up with ideas for this subgenre, but the word play and internal rhyming and stuff like that is not an easy thing to do.
Considering how knowledgeable you are of the genre and that I'm still just a noob, I'm pleased with myself for introducing you to someone with whom you weren't familiar. After loving Gravediggaz and Flatlinerz, I started searching for other early notable horrorcore artists, which led me to Brotha Lynch Hung. I highly recommend the entire Season of Da Siccness album. Like I mentioned before, I've only listened to his earlier stuff. Judging by the names of his recent output, it appears he ended up pigeonholing himself with the horror stuff, but from what I've heard of him, he's extremely talented.

Are you with familiar with Esham?

Let the night air cool you off
Considering how knowledgeable you are of the genre and that I'm still just a noob, I'm pleased with myself for introducing you to someone with whom you weren't familiar. After loving Gravediggaz and Flatlinerz, I started searching for other early notable horrorcore artists, which led me to Brotha Lynch Hung. I highly recommend the entire Season of Da Siccness album. Like I mentioned before, I've only listened to his earlier stuff. Judging by the names of his recent output, it appears he ended up pigeonholing himself with the horror stuff, but from what I've heard of him, he's extremely talented.

Are you with familiar with Esham?
My hip hop knowledge pales in comparison to my country knowledge. I know a lot less about 90s hip hop than I do early to mid 00s era. I know even less about the horrorcore scene only really listening to Flatlinerz and some Gravediggaz.

I know of Esham but I wouldn't consider myself familiar.

r10 nom :
Black Sabbath - War Pigs

NEWSFLASH: Sedai votes at a weekend but sadly both Derek Vinyard and Swan are yet to recover from the shock and fail to put in theirs.

As ever though, the show must go on....

1st - Porcupine Tree - Trains (89 pts)

2nd - Brotha Lynch Hung - Return of Da Baby Killa (84 pts)
3rd - Dr Dre ft.. Snoop Dogg - Nuthin but a "G" thang (82 pts)
4th - Prince - U Got the Look (76 pts)
5th - Kanye West - Black Skinhead (74 pts)
6th - The Knux - Bang! Bang! (69 pts)
7th - Cathedral - Soul Sacrifice (65 pts)
8th - Jim Reeves - A Letter To My Heart (Dear Heart) (62 pts)
9th - black midi - bmbmbm (60 pts)
10th - A Day To Remember - If It Means A Lot To You (43 pts)
11th - Isengard - I kamp med Kvitekrist (39 pts)
12th - Ylvis - The Cabin (37 pts)

Congratulations to Sedai on getting another through to the final

Round ten up in a few minutes....

The reverberations of Sedai's unexpected decision to vote at a weekend causes carnage this round with Derek Vinyard, Swan and John-Connor all unable to function properly before the deadline

I do hope the video for mine this round doesn't cause any offence to anyone - apologies in advance if it does (it's ok Gbg - no spiders!).

1. Black Sabbath - War Pigs
  2. Godless Procession - Hace Falta
  3. Rope Sect - King of the Night
  4. Randy Rogers & Wade Bowen - Rodeo Clown
  5. Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
  6. Loretta Lynn - Another Man Loved Me Last Night
  7. Nothing More - Fade In / Fade Out
  8. Whitney Houston - How Will I Know
  9. John Barrowman - The Doctor And I

R11 nom:
Factice Factory - Ignite