What age were you allowed to watch rated r movies

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
I saw them when I was 8 at home, but I officially say 12 because that’s when dad took me to see Hannibal.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

1 or 2. No seriously, I was taken to see Pretty Woman, Predator 2, and RoboCop as a small child. But the one movie that I actually remember the most was Sleepaway Camp at the age of 5. That ending scarred me for life. Even in my adulthood I refuse to watch that movie alone, lol!

I’m not sure. 9-10 maybe.

But I’ve been watching them for very long. I remember movies like Jaws, Alien/Aliens, Robocop and Godfather are examples of movies that I watched very early with my parents being aware. There’s definitely a connection between watching such movies early on and my love for them now. Most people here started watching whatever-MPAA-rated movie at whatever age. Movies were movies to me and while there was something “excting” sometimes about watching a hard R, it was just my growing love for movies that made me curious and made me seek out whatever interested me.

It was different back when I was a kid - no videos back then, and scary films were only shown late at night on British tv so unless you were allowed to stay up you didn't get to see them. My dad used to work away a lot so I did get to see a lot of them being the oldest kid and staying up to keep me mum company. The scariest ones I remember aged around 5-10 were The Haunting (me mum clinging to me when Claire Bloom was in bed and the ghosts thumping at the door), The Beast with Five Fingers, The Birds and most of the Hammer Horror films.

The first X rated films (18 years and above) I went to see at the cinema was Don't Look Now and The Wicker Man. They were pretty strict about ages in our local cinema, and annoyingly the staff knew lots of kids cos of Saturday morning pictures, so must've been around 15 or 16 with make up. Those are still two of my most scariest films.

I wasn't strict with my kids. If I thought they could watch a film I wouldn't let age ratings stop me smuggling them in to the cinema.

10 maybe, lol.

I was allowed to rent stuff like "Friday The 13th" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street" when I was fairly young, like 10 or 11, as well as other action based films that may have carried an "R" rating. If there was an over abundance of nudity or sexual content than I wasn't allowed to see it, but overall I was able to rent or buy anything I wanted when I was around 11. By the time I was 12 I had a TV in my room as well as HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax, so I was finally introduced to the wonders of late night premium cable, and I think you all know what that means...

Official Member: National Association of Film Critics 🎞️

IMDb Sponsored & Affiliated Film Critic.
🎥