the big red one

→ in
Tools    

recently i found a cheapo copy of sam fuller's [white dog, shock corridor] 'the big red one' at my local video store. a b-grade war movie from 1980 that covers the the entire european theatre, begining at the end of WWI and ending with the close of WWII, and follows the exploits of a grizzled seargent [a veteran of the first war, played by lee marvin] and four subbordinate infantrymen [one of whom is played by mark hamill] as they survive various episodes of the war and watch nameless soldiers around them come and go.

as far as b-movies go i think this one actually works pretty well within its limitations, has a pretty strong story coupled with a very efficient episodic narrative, and avoids a lot of the genre's cliches [a big one for me was a general lack of sentimentality], while succumbing to others, but usually pretty gracefully. it has a lot of cheesy dialogue and acting, and looks very dated [other than marvin's and hamill's visible age, i actually was convinced that it was from the sixties].

notable scenes are a mission to take out german officers camped in a still populated insane asylum [possibly owing the idea to 'king of hearts', an excellent anti-war movie from 1966 taking place in an abandoned warfront town that's been repopulated by escaped patients from a local insane asylum]; an odd moody scene of martins wandering blindly through a dark foggy forest surrounded by gunfire; and an ambush scene in which martins returns to the apocalyptic crucifix that he murdered a german under at the end of the first war. supposedly this movie was inspired by writer-director sam fuller's own experiences during the second world war.

i liked this movie, it's silly a lot of the time, but that only adds to much of it's charm. had a few effective moments of moral ambiguity, punctuated with some odd, funny, and disturbing imagery.

anyone else seen/liked this weird movie?

i give 'the big red one' a c

Me, some 10 years ago. I don't remember much apart from Lee Marvin and a dialogue in which one soldiers is describing how all he needs is a female thigh...or was that from another film.

From my recollections, it's not half bad.

Originally Posted by Mairosu
Me, some 10 years ago. I don't remember much apart from Lee Marvin and a dialogue in which one soldiers is describing how all he needs is a female thigh...or was that from another film.

From my recollections, it's not half bad.
that's could well be the movie, but the most memorable bit of asslike dialogue is the bit where they talk about the pleasures of thawing a lady's frozen buttocks [heh, get it?].

Originally Posted by linespalsy
that's could well be the movie, but the most memorable bit of asslike dialogue is the bit where they talk about the pleasures of thawing a lady's frozen buttocks [heh, get it?].
Yeah, that's it alright. I think the politically correct television translated "buttocks" to thighs...I definitely remember that scene.

(and I get it)

I saw The Big Red One in the theaters when I was ten, and the most memorable part for me is when Lee Marvin's character tosses a soldier's testicle over his should, after it had been blown off by a landmine, and he tells him "That's why God gave you two." That stuck.

Sam Fuller's The Big Red One is a flawed movie, and severely hampered by a too-small budget (something that didn't really effect his less ambitious independent projects over his storied career), but overall an interesting look at WWII from his personal Veteran perspective. Would have been interesting to see what he could have done with it on a major budget. As it stabns, definbitely worth seeing (love Marvin's performance), and its one of the most personal films in Fuller's canon.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Big Red One does lack a lot of the sentiment of other war movies but still manages to make you care about the characters… I thought it gave an interesting insight into the day to day life of war weary soldiers who are just trying to survive and did not glorify war at all…

I read there was over an hour’s worth of scenes cut from this movie and that a new DVD with the deleted scenes may be in the works… anyone else heard anything about this?

Oh, and I don’t remember too much about the frozen butt thing but I do remember the testicle…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

BANNED
yeah i saw duringh a history class and loved the action,comedy,life,guilt and evrything.