The top 25 highest rated films on IMDB I haven't seen as of today

1. The Dark Night
2. Schindler's List
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Fight Club
5. Forrest Gump
6. Goodfellas
7. The Matrix
8. Seven Samurai (I have this checked out from the library though. Can't wait till I see this!)
9. City of God
10. Se7vn
11. The Usual Suspects
12. Life is Beautiful
13. Leon: The Professional
14. Once Upon a Time in the West (I actually started watching this on Netflix Instant shortly after the voting for the 60's list ended; but I stopped midway through because it was late. I haven't finished it yet because I keep forgetting about it.)
15. Interstellar
16. Saving Private Ryan
17. American History X
18. The Intouchables (2011)
19. The Green Mile
20. The Pianist
21. Gladiator
22. Apocalypse Now
23. Alien
24. The Lion King
25. The Lives of Others
I have watched all. These are all very good movies with the exception of Lion King (I found it boring and simplistic), the rest are all MUST watch, specially films like Alien, Apocalypse Now, Leon: The Professional, City of God, Schindler's List, Once Upon a Time in the West and Pulp Fiction.

I think the reason for the Batman love is that fanboys wanted a realistic treatment for so long (but kept getting increasingly silly films about their icon).

Batman is one of the few "realistic" superheroes. His story could happen given you have a guy with enough money and a trauma that drives him to obsession. Other than that, he's just a human being - no alien with super powers or kid who gains them from being bitten by a mutated radioactive spider (events far outside our current sense of reality).

Such a dark & feasible story was ripped apart with the 60's TV series which turned this character (beloved for his realistic story of sheer tragedy & obsession) into a complete joke. Burton brought back some of the darkness in 1989, but still placed it in a realm of fantasy. Nolan gave us the "real world" Batman and based much of "Begins" & parts of "Dark Knight" on the wildly successful comic "Batman: Year One" which rebooted the character's origin with greater grit & realism - that's why (I think) people who know the character love the trilogy.

Hum. As an animation buff I haven't watched these very popular anime series:

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Gundam Seed:

Gundam Seed: Destiny

Turn A Gundam

Blood+

As well as these popular animated movies:

- Coraline
- Despicable Me
- Kung Fu Panda
Me too. (Except I saw Kung Fu Panda - kids might like it, I didn't. I kept thinking it was like if the remade Karate Kid... AGAIN! ... with Jack Black in the role of Daniel.)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I think the reason for the Batman love is that fanboys wanted a realistic treatment for so long (but kept getting increasingly silly films about their icon).

Batman is one of the few "realistic" superheroes. His story could happen given you have a guy with enough money and a trauma that drives him to obsession. Other than that, he's just a human being - no alien with super powers or kid who gains them from being bitten by a mutated radioactive spider (events far outside our current sense of reality).

Such a dark & feasible story was ripped apart with the 60's TV series which turned this character (beloved for his realistic story of sheer tragedy & obsession) into a complete joke. Burton brought back some of the darkness in 1989, but still placed it in a realm of fantasy. Nolan gave us the "real world" Batman and based much of "Begins" & parts of "Dark Knight" on the wildly successful comic "Batman: Year One" which rebooted the character's origin with greater grit & realism - that's why (I think) people who know the character love the trilogy.

My problem with Batman is that I never read the comic books, and I grew up watching the 60's TV show with Adam West, so I had no expectation of a dark character. I liked the campiness of the TV show. In fact, the 1960's Batman movie with the four main villains, (The Joker, The Riddler, The Penguin, and Catwoman), is my favorite Batman movie. Not because it's a great movie, (because the movie itself is pretty bad), but because it's just a lot of fun to watch.

In the 1989 movie with Micheal Keaton, I loved the Bruce Wayne character, and I thought it would have been a great movie if they got rid of all the scenes with Batman and focused more on Bruce Wayne. I wasn't a fan of Jack Nicholson as The Joker either.

There were a lot problems with The Dark Knight Rises, and Catwoman and Bane were only the most noticeable ones. There were storyline problems and timeline problems that made no sense too.

But you can't go by my opinions on superhero movies. I haven't seen the new Fantastic Four movie, but I loved the last two FF movies, and I can't understand why everyone else hates them. I also loved X-Men Origins: Wolverine, (the one with Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth), and I thought Andrew Garfield was much better as Spiderman than Tobey Maguire's whiny Spidey.
The two FF movies weren't terrible. They had an element of fun. But I think the casting hurt them (namely the Storms: Chris Evans looked a little too old and acted a little too arrogant as Johnny and Jessica Alba was just plain too hotsy-totsy as Sue.)
The other problem - Dr. Doom. He wasn't part of the FF's origin. He doesn't have super-powers (yet they gave him the powers of other characters: Colossus & Electro).
George Lucas has admitted that Doom was his direct inspiration of Darth Vader! Darth FREAKING Vader! Yet the movies reduced comics' greatest villain (a foreign Monarch, a genius with vast knowledge of sciences both natural & supernatural, and a tyrannical dictator of an entire country) to a whiny, smarmy, businessman with the hots for Sue.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The two FF movies weren't terrible. They had an element of fun. But I think the casting hurt them (namely the Storms: Chris Evans looked a little too old and acted a little to arrogant as Johnny and Jessica Alba was just plain too hotsy-totsy as Sue.)
The other problem - Dr. Doom. He wasn't part of the FF's origin. He doesn't have super-powers (yet the gave him the powers of other characters: Colossus & Electro).
George Lucas has admitted that Doom was his direct inspiration of Darth Vader! Darth FREAKING Vader! Yet the movies reduced comics' greatest villain (a foreign Monarch, a genius with vast knowledge of sciences both natural & supernatural, and a tyrannical dictator of an entire country) to a whiny, smarmy, businessman with the hots for Sue.

I think this explains the problem. Most people watch the superheroes movies hoping to see a movie version of the comic books that they love, but I never read most of the superhero comic books, so my background with these characters is limited to whatever TV shows, cartoons, and movies I've seen, and most of those were campy and fun.

I grew up reading comic books like "The Archies", "Richie Rich", "Casper the Friendly Ghost", etc. As far as I'm concerned, the superheroes are all new characters, and they can pretty much do anything they want to them, and it won't bother me, as long as the movie itself is entertaining.

I think this explains the problem. Most people watch the superheroes movies hoping to see a movie version of the comic books that they love, but I never read most of the superhero comic books, so my background with these characters is limited to whatever TV shows, cartoons, and movies I've seen, and most of those were campy and fun.

I grew up reading comic books like "The Archies", "Richie Rich", "Casper the Friendly Ghost", etc. As far as I'm concerned, the superheroes are all new characters, and they can pretty much do anything they want to them, and it won't bother me, as long as the movie itself is entertaining.
But of course. It's just like people who "read the book."
I've seen a lot of movies I thought were fantastic, then I'd meet someone who read the book and they hated the movie because it deviated so much from the source material. (And, yeah, I'm like that when they change the comic characters I grew up with).

Although with Batman, I was basically the same as you, GB. My introduction was through the TV show (and Superfriends). When I got into comics I got mad at the TV series (for a while) thinking, "How could they do that to such an intense and tragic character whose whole story is based on trauma & obsession." BTW, on the show, they never mention what drove Bruce Wayne to become Batman - then again, a child watching their parents murdered isn't exactly general audience fare.

There are several I havent seen.. one of them is "Superbad"... why? its a comedy about sex, farts and boobs.. why in the hell would I want to see that??? its not funny!!

There are several I havent seen.. one of them is "Superbad"... why? its a comedy about sex, farts and boobs.. why in the hell would I want to see that??? its not funny!!
MG Superbad is actually pretty nice in my opinion I appreciate it a lot

MG Superbad is actually pretty nice in my opinion I appreciate it a lot
Derek you are young.. you find things funny like that.... I dont.. remember Im old... I dont find fart jokes funny at all... they stink actually!! Both ways!

Derek you are young.. you find things funny like that.... I dont.. remember Im old... I dont find fart jokes funny at all... they stink actually!! Both ways!
doesn't have fart jokes at all it's just three teenage who want to get laid at a party and the whole thing turn bad it's pretty da*n funny even for older people

doesn't have fart jokes at all it's just three teenage who want to get laid at a party and the whole thing turn bad it's pretty da*n funny even for older people
ok.. so its all about sex.. not a funny thing.. not to me...

My opinion of Superbad. I saw it a long time ago, so please forgive if I don't remember precisely.
But it is dirty, it's sophomoric, it's vulgar, and yet, by the end it does have some heart and delivers a sincere message about friendship.

It reminded me of certain episodes of South Park, where, despite the lewd jokes and bathroom humor, there was a real message.

Would I show Superbad to my parents? No. If they hear the F-word, they're pretty much done with a movie. They still think Clark Gable saying "I don't give a damn." is shocking.

Superbad was OK, but I think it's definitely overrated.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Homicide:A Life On The Streets
This is a great show. I watched it religiously when it was on TV. And then I became addicted to "Third Watch" after that one. That would be another one that I would recommend.

This is a great show. I watched it religiously when it was on TV. And then I became addicted to "Third Watch" after that one. That would be another one that I would recommend.
The Wire is one of my favourite shows so I mostly want to see it for David Simons involvement. Want to see the miniseries The Corner for the same reason.