Comix tab

Tools    

I was reading Blue Monday and DeadEnders for a while until Blue Monday got hard to find and DeadEnders continued to suck.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I'm just now getting around to reading Astro Boy volumes 6 and 7, which are both really great, funny stuff. I also got the final Authority collection, and while the stuff about the New Authority, a group of superheroes hired to keep the status quo firmly in place, was hilariously spot on, I felt let down that at the end when the real Authority ships the President of the U.S.A. to Iraq, the artist copped out and didn't draw Bush as the prez despite various times he'd previously appeared in the book. I guess they copped out "post 9-11," which makes me not respect the artist very much, since The Authority was all about anarchistic political views and offensive humor. I hope the re-launch next year will be back to business as usual.....

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

alright naisy! -->tintin is great, i just love herge's artwork. i recently read 'the cigars of the pharaoh'. classic stuff!

i just couldnt get fully into astroboy, monkeypunch. i got the first volume, and though i loved what i read of tezuka's 'pheonix' and 'metropolis', and did enjoy 'astroboy' some, i was hoping for a bit more continuity. good, but not as cool as my personal favorite vintage manga: sampei shirato's 'story of kamui'.

anyway, recently, i've read:
oneshot's by akira toriyama:
escape
pink
dragon boy
mr. ho

kajika, by akira toriyama

hikaru no go, volumes 1-15, by obatta.

all very fun stuff.

I can pretend that things last.
wondering if anyone read 'Akira'. The manga which the anime is based on. Its huge and epic. Great read.

Another one worth reading is 'Fax from Sarajevo'. This is serious stuff. Its very emotional.

yeah, i read akira, and very thouroughly enjoyed it. so i'm asuming you've read it, aditya? what did you think? how'd it compare to the movie? read anything else by otomo?

havent read fax from sarajevo...but it sounds interesting. can you tell us a little more? would i be wrong in guessing it's along the same lines as joe sacco's 'palestine' and 'safe area grozne'? by the way, if you havent already, you might want to check those two out.

got the october issue of dragonball about three weeks ago. fun stuff...anyone else like toriyama's humor comics better than his action comics?

I'm currently rereading Evan Dorkin's Hectic Planet, even though there will probably never be another issue of it. I loved the alien hockey game issues, and the ultra-violent issue about the series' villain. Also, I've just read every issue so far of Grant Morrison's New X-Men. It's so good, it puts every other superhero book out there to shame.

-tin tin, volume two.

more tin tin. damn, now i'm gonna have to go out and find volumes 3-7, or however many...

-hikaru no go

ah, it's like a soap opera about chess, except about go instead,
and with ghosts.

-bremen, volumes 1-4

for a comic about crossdressing guys who want to become "the gods of rock and roll", this sure is square.

-yaiba, volumes 1-5

kind of like dragon ball meets ranma 1/2, but not as good as dragon ball.

-gyo, tankoban volume 1

alright! more great horror weirdness from junji ito (uzumaki). anyway, this time around, the theme is vacationers in a resort town overrun by fish with legs. how cool.

hmm, i think i heard a while ago lupin was getting an english release. who's publishing it? is it in the standard monthly issue format, or that trendy new tankoban style?

It's published by Tokyopop comics, and I'm not quite sure what a Tankoban is, but it's printed like a small paperback book of about 200 or so pages, and reding backwards, like the Dragonball comics that came out a few years ago....

yeah, that's a tankoban. and thanks, i ordered a copy of lupin volume 1 today at my comic store.

while i was there i also bought:

orochi: volume six -kazuo umezu, classic 60's suspense/horror manga. equal to anything in the genre today, the genre which umezu himself had a large hand in fostering. good stuff. also see: tomie and uzumaki, by junji ito, or hell baby, by hideshi hino.

dragon ball part 5, issue 7, now on to the introduction of king piccolo!

blade of the immortal, #74, damn, i cant believe i have to wait another month for more of this great, frustrating series.

alita (new) #4, hmm i was really satisfied with the ending of the original gunnm/battle angel series, so it seems kind of odd that he'd choose to retell the final two volumes (and perhaps extend beyond) as a divergent story line, but it's pretty good so far. i'm curious to see where it's headed. and of course, it's a welcome alternative to his dissapointing "aqua knight" series, so no complaints.

hate anual #3 -p. bagge: more hate, more great editorials and comics by bagge. what more could you ask for?

yeah #5 and 6 -p. bagge does a child friendly archy-style comic for dc's "homage" line (same as archy comics). illustrated by gilbert hernandez (love and rockets). this is unbelievable, and kind of disturbing. if i didnt know better i'd say this was a spice girls fanboy zine...

a friend of mine also just gave me some sam henderson comics (magic whistle), and a volume of love and rockets and penny century, by the hernandez brothers. damn, these should keep me busy for a couple days.

Tank Girl: The Oddessy. Imagine a retelling of The Oddessy, and James Joyce's Ulysses, but with a huge body count, cannibalistic movie producers, a kid with a TV for a head, talking kangaroos, and more perverse humor than you can shake a stick at, and you're STILL not ready to read this. I give this my HIGHEST reccomendation.

Thought I'd resurrect this one, bein's how I've read an a*sload of comics over the past few months.

So...

Live, damn you! LIVE!! :insert insane Smilie here:

Preacher - my first Garth Ennis, and I am in awe. I'm up to about #20, but am bulldozing through the rest.

The Invisibles - likewise my first Grant Morrison, and not quite so in awe. Some good stuff, but not quite what I'd hoped.

Weapon X - an interestingly told Wolverine-gets-his-admantium story. Very good.

The Sandman - a 2nd read, moving up through the collections. Makes me want to weep, it's so f*cking good.

300 - Frank Miller. Blew. Me. Away. Beautiful.

The Mask - interesting and crazy. This ain't Jim Carrey, folks.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2, Issues 1-5 - God, I love it. I don't think two sex scenes could ever disturb me more. I'd weigh in on the movie here, but that's another post for another thread. :insert menacing Smilie here:

There are others, but I can't think of them right now.

Originally Posted by Mary Loquacious
Thought I'd resurrect this one, bein's how I've read an a*sload of comics over the past few months.

So...

Live, damn you! LIVE!! :insert insane Smilie here:

You're BACK?!? (Doing a stupid little happy dance) Welcome back!

Comix:

Reading X-Statix. It's a hilariously perverse marvel comic taking the piss out of the concept of the X-Men. A group of camera friendly mutants pretending to be superheroes, all pre-packaged for media consumption. They fight, argue, get stinking drunk, shag the hell out of each other, and very frequently get killed off in gruesome ways. All this, plus some eye popping art from Mike Allred. A must read.

did you ever read evan dorkin's official piss take on dc continuity convolution, monkeypunch? i dont remember the title, but it was a while ago, and it was totally hilarious; all the various batman and superman retcons taken out and battered black and blue, but all in good loving fun.

also, havent read that x-statix, but it sounds like you'd do well to check out the one shot spiderman issue pete bagge [neat stuff, hate] did for marvel last year, 'the megalomaniacal spiderman'. it's tough to find, but well worth the search. spidey reads ayn rand and goes nuts, just like steve ditco apparently. really a high point of superhero satire, in my opinion.

been a while since i posted here, but i havent read all that many comics lately. today though, i finally read the copy of 'electra' that my friend gave me a couple months ago. loved every panel of it, might be my new favorite by miller. sienkevitzch's messy art and miller's messy writing go together perfectly.

Originally Posted by linespalsy

also, havent read that x-statix, but it sounds like you'd do well to check out the one shot spiderman issue pete bagge [neat stuff, hate] did for marvel last year, 'the megalomaniacal spiderman'. it's tough to find, but well worth the search. spidey reads ayn rand and goes nuts, just like steve ditco apparently. really a high point of superhero satire, in my opinion.
I did read that. Very funny, even if I really do wish Peter Bagge would get away from mainstream comix work and get back to the underground where we need him desperately!

Hey! Today's R. Crumb's birthday! (He's sixty) So I read some old Bijou Funnies books (My favorite strip was the sicko "Neato Keeno Time!", with Forky O'Donnell, a truly disturbing and hilarious character)and stared at women with large @sses in his honor! Viva los Underground Comix! (Speaking of which, I need to get cracking on my own underground book, Zero Comix! I still only have three finished pages! R. Crumb has nothing to worry about from me...yet. I wish. )