Steamboy, musings, etc.

→ in
Tools    

Watched Steamboy two weekends ago, for those of you who don't know about it it's the new movie by Katsuhiro Otomo, same guy who illustrated the comic book Akira, and later adapted it to film.

This is only Otomo's third feature length directorial project since he first brought his distinct graphic style to film with Akira in 1988. Prior to that he had been a professional mangaka since around the early-mid seventies. In the manga industry Otomo established himself with his groundbreaking sense of print storytelling in a number of short works - most notably Domu (available in English from Dark Horse comics in trade paperback form), for which he won the Science Fiction Grand Prix, a prize traditionally awarded to narrative literature - that eventually lead into his most famous work in 1982, when he started serializing the Akira manga in Young Magazine.

I'd say besides Akira (movie and comic) and Domu, the best Otomo stuff that's been released in english are his contributions to the anthology films Neo Tokyo and Memories, and a rare british collection of manga short stories (also titled Memories).

I have to say Steamboy has a heavy burden in dwelling in the shadow of a movie like Akira. My first impression was that it was kind of disappointing, but the more I think about it I think it's kind of growing on me and I'd definitely like to see it again. The style and setting are "steam-punk" (sounds really dumb) - which I think is partly derived from the reimagined 19th century technology of the 80s series, Nadia: Secret of Blue Water (which itself was derivative of Miyazaki's Laputa).

Actually the main premises behind this bear a striking resemblance to that early Gainax series. In stead of Paris, the young hero (named Ray Steam - wonder what he would have been named if his family worked on internal combustion engines instead) is a Londoner, but the era and anachronistic technology are similar. More importantly they share the same basic plot device: a powerful new technology, sought after by greedy thugs. In Nadia it was a flying rock, this time it's a strange Ball that emits a powerful blast of super-compressed steam by turning a valve.

Consistent with most anime, Steamboy has a fairly convoluted roster of characters and can get very talky and heavy-handed with it's attempts at philosophizing (questions about humanistic "progress", technophiles vs. technophobes etc.), which one feels are half-hearted. A lot of the settings and themes in Steamboy show real promise, but unfortunately it never really develops as science fiction (for lack of any real explanation or understanding of the basic underlying technology - we know it runs on steam, but where does all that steam come from in the first place?).

One complaint I've heard a lot (and this for Akira too) is that the characters all lack depth, but I think that misses the point. As with Otomo's other films, and with his comics, Steamboy is primarilly a visceral experience. To some extent I think the lack of psychology indicates laziness - particularly in one crane-operating villian, who seem to act inexplicably against self-preservation instinct, with no apparent motivation save for his role as a bad guy.

But more often than not, the inertia of these characters works with the formless narrative rather than against it. I would describe them as likeably amoral.

I get the sense that Steamboy, like Akira, exists only to satisfy the excesses of Otomo's imagination, not because he has a worldview or personal story that he wants to get across. As with that earlier film the real power of this lies in the aesthetic, the arrangement and layering of images, frantic pacing - deliberately intensified by the discontinuous shots and jerky character animation - and the unexpected flourishes, as when a massive floating castle suddenly transforms itself in a throwback to the opening sequence from Robot Carnival.

I'm also happy to say that in terms of motion, Steamboy has embraced new technology while at the same time evoking a pleasantly anachronistic, rough-edged style. To fully appreciate the level of detail in this film I think you'll have to see it on a big screen - there are sweeping shots of the teeming London landscape and birds eye views with possibly hundreds of points of animation, as well as some fantastic "camera" movement, but the characters always fit in seamlessly with the background (unlike in the clumsy cg effects of Metropolis).

My one minor complaint about Steamboy's esthetic is the unmemorable, washed out color pallet. It does give the setting a certain sense of openness, but I can't help feeling a little disappointed after the strong use of vibrant, but limited complementary palletes in self-contained shots from Akira and The Order to Stop Construction. A bigger problem is the score, which is the epitomy of orchestral blandness and cheesy fanfare.

I'm not sure how to rank Steamboy. As a story I think it's at best irrelevant, at worst disingenuous, but it's also striking and uniquely cinematic, and I think it's already penetrated my imagination to some extent. It's definitely worth seeing for yourself.

Put me in your pocket...
Thanks for the great review linespalsy.I enjoyed reading it. We had liked the trailer and have been wondering about this movie. Unfortunately, it's not playing close to us yet. If it does come out by us, I'll take my daughter to see this.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Awesome review, man. I met the guy who picks out the import section I so eagerly haunt and he said he's working on getting a couple copies, so hopefully I'll get a chance to see it soon. I know it won't be coming to theaters around here anytime soon.

Thanks so much for the review. Been waiting on it.

A system of cells interlinked
Agreed. Excellent review, well written and concise. I also agree that Otomo's work is mostly a visceral experience, which I dig quite a bit.

Spot-on review. Its a shame this hasn't gotten a wider release because this is a movie that was meant to be seen on a big screen. I was fortunate to see it a few weeks back and thought the dialogue and story were weak, but my god the visuals were incredible. I found it funny that the voice of Steamboy himself was Anna Paquin from the X-Men movies.

Originally Posted by projectMayhem
Spot-on review. Its a shame this hasn't gotten a wider release because this is a movie that was meant to be seen on a big screen. I was fortunate to see it a few weeks back and thought the dialogue and story were weak, but my god the visuals were incredible. I found it funny that the voice of Steamboy himself was Anna Paquin from the X-Men movies.
Yeah I read about the casting for the dub, was it any good? I saw it with subtitles, but was kind of curious how the english version was. It sounded like they could have done a pretty professional job with the actors they got. It also had Alfred Molina and Patrick Stewart, if I'm not mistaken.

The dub, I felt was merely OK, but that was due more in part to the weak dialgoue rather than bad acting. The known actors they got to play the characters of the Steam family were all pretty good, but the rest was pretty bad. Especially the girl playing Scarlet, she was very annoying. The grandfather's long speeches too were pretty grating, but Stewart was trying so I give him credit.

Movie Forums Member
i heard alot of bad things with this movie therefore i don't think it would of done well if it was in a wider release.
Though that IS a very good review.

I also have to say that i heard Steamboy had an cliched storyline and brought nothing really new therefore i didn't really want to watch it anymore and these were coming from hardcore anime freaks. i would have to say Ghost in the Shell2 deserved a much wider release though i don't think it will do good because it is just too complicated and brainteasting for american moviegoers.

Ghost in the Shell 2 looked much much more beatiful in my opinion.

Originally Posted by projectMayhem
I found it funny that the voice of Steamboy himself was Anna Paquin from the X-Men movies.
About Anna; I had high hopes for Anna Paquin ever since The Piano. She starred in The Dark a few years ago and I saw it just for Anna. A worthless movie BTW. It looks like Anna doesn't have the star power, charisma or whatever you want to call it; for leading roles. She's fine in supporting roles like Xmen and Almost Famous.

Maybe she'll prove me wrong with a knockout performance in a leading role. I hope so.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

District B13
Originally Posted by Twain
The Piano. .
Good nudity in that movie. But she was what, like 5? Kid to Adult is difficult to determine in acting quality.

Originally Posted by Twain
It looks like Anna doesn't have the star power, charisma or whatever you want to call it; for leading roles. She's fine in supporting roles like Xmen and Almost Famous.
Anna's melodramatic/shy look should be gushy enough to get her some fool's gold at one point in her career.

I thought she was the main role in x-men 1, she did okay, she was shy and worthless as a mutant which is what people apparently want (wolverine wasn't shy, be he is a worthless mutant).

Anyways, I believe she should attach herself to projects that spread her acting talent around. A drama, a fantasy, a comedy, a romance, to show off her acting ability. I believe she has what it takes, and it's more than her shy hotness that's making me say that.... or is it