A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Eh, I doubt I'll ever end up liking it that much, since the relentless sadism of its second half got to be a bit tiresome for me (then again, I'm not the world's biggest Horror fan in the first place), whereas something like Alien (my current favorite Horror movie) was able to pace itself more evenly throughout. Still, like I said, it's a very stylish film, and one that, through its clear criticism of the meat industry and the disgusting but compelling dynamics within the Sawyer "family", made it a Slasher that had more on its mind than just finding excuses to carve up another group of dumb teens, y'know?
You say that now but I tell ya, when I first saw TCM I was like, "Well, that was a helluva thing. Don't know if I liked it but it was... something." Twenty-something years later I consider nothing short of a low-budget masterpiece.

I don't usually do podcasts, since I don't usually care to just listen to people talk, but I'll see if I can give your TCM ep a shot. Although, have you ever considered filming yourself speaking on camera while you record them? Because some people (like, well, me) find film discussion easier to pay attention when there's some sort of visual accompaniment, y'know?
Well, that's something that my wife has been leading me to. She seems to think there might be an opportunity for bigger audiences in YouTube, although I've tried to explain to her how big podcasts are, and how more comfortable it is for people to listen to while driving, doing chores, whatever, as opposed to *looking* at a video... but I understand there's an appeal. It might be a sorta next step for me; I mean, I've just been doing this for less than a year, so who knows. Maybe something that I can do to complement as opposed to replace.

Anyway, if you do listen, feel free to share any thoughts.

I think you've hit on something here that I could never articulate. In a film stuffed with unsettling things, that moment never fails to give me a chill.
This is one of the best movie reviews I've ever read. Roger Ebert's Ghost is experiencing professional jealousy.
Well, double aw schucks.

Thanks.

Victim of The Night
Here are the last of my October viewings...
Splice -

What begins as an intriguing piece about two scientists secretly creating a mutant goes off the rails as its unpredictable evolution and said scientists' personal demons both come to light in ways that do not make for an appreciable watch.
Yeah, we were all pretty shocked (my horror-watching RL friends and I) at how much this movie sucked. Absolutely Amateur-Hour. We started making fun of it pretty early on and by the end we were full-on Riff-traxing.

I've been meaning to weigh in on the Franklin discussion but keep forgetting.
I've said this before back at the old place but Franklin, with his sweat stains and his half-chewed sausage dangling from his mouth and his super-spitty raspberries, is just another dash of unpleasantness in a thoroughly unpleasant film. He is an essential ingredient.

I've said this before back at the old place but Franklin, with his sweat stains and his half-chewed sausage dangling from his mouth and his super-spitty raspberries, is just another dash of unpleasantness in a thoroughly unpleasant film. He is an essential ingredient.
Yes!

Well, that's something that my wife has been leading me to. She seems to think there might be an opportunity for bigger audiences in YouTube, although I've tried to explain to her how big podcasts are, and how more comfortable it is for people to listen to while driving, doing chores, whatever, as opposed to *looking* at a video... but I understand there's an appeal. It might be a sorta next step for me; I mean, I've just been doing this for less than a year, so who knows. Maybe something that I can do to complement as opposed to replace.

Anyway, if you do listen, feel free to share any thoughts.
The nice thing about podcasts is you can kinda get away with both. You can record both and put the video on YouTube and the audio on Stitcher or SoundCloud or whatever.

I don't even remember why I hated Splice, but I know I haaaaated it. And sometimes that is all you need to know.
Yep. Count me in as someone who thought that was trash.

Victim of The Night
I don't even remember why I hated Splice, but I know I haaaaated it. And sometimes that is all you need to know.
It was because it sucks.

Victim of The Night
Yes. Exactly that.

If any of you have a bit of free time to cram something else in your Horrorcram, then check out a special episode of my podcast, Thief's Monthly Movie Loot, dedicated to The Texas Chain Saw Massacre; specifically one scene from it.

Thief's Monthly Movie Loot - Special Episode II (The Texas Chain Saw Massacre)

Enjoy

EDIT: You can also listen to it on Spotify
Finally got around to this on my lunch break today. Well done!
Thoughts:
*You mentioned that you were too young to watch it that first time, how old were you exactly? I was in my 20s the first time and I think that was maybe too young.

*Regarding the "based on true events" bit: I once heard an interview with Hooper in which he mentions that while they were filming, The Legend of Boggy Creek was selling out theaters/drive-ins, lines around the block, etc, and that was another reason he decided to push the "true story" angle. (As the world's biggest BC fan, I thought that was cool and therefore relay the story whenever I can. Parties, funerals, whoever will listen.)

*I once convinced a friend to watch this with me a good 20 years ago by reassuring him that "it wasn't really gory". Well he was traumatized, starting with the twitching-on-the-floor scene, and has never forgiven me in the ensuing 2 decades. In fact he sent a text within the past week referencing the "it's not gory" comment. oops.

Thoughts:
*You mentioned that you were too young to watch it that first time, how old were you exactly? I was in my 20s the first time and I think that was maybe too young.

*Regarding the "based on true events" bit: I once heard an interview with Hooper in which he mentions that while they were filming, The Legend of Boggy Creek was selling out theaters/drive-ins, lines around the block, etc, and that was another reason he decided to push the "true story" angle. (As the world's biggest BC fan, I thought that was cool and therefore relay the story whenever I can. Parties, funerals, whoever will listen.)

*I once convinced a friend to watch this with me a good 20 years ago by reassuring him that "it wasn't really gory". Well he was traumatized, starting with the twitching-on-the-floor scene, and has never forgiven me in the ensuing 2 decades. In fact he sent a text within the past week referencing the "it's not gory" comment. oops.
TCM works not because it's bloody/gory, but because it's able to come up with a horror film that's relatable (a road trip that goes off the rails quickly as their efforts to help someone in need go wrong) and still manages to elicit fear even for those who's been watching horror for a while (that dining room table scene).

As for Franklin, I guess I didn't dive into the hate that some may have for him. But I do find him necessary in the film itself.

Thoughts:
Well, to be honest, I don't remember, but I had to be younger than 10, or close. I think I've mentioned this before in RT or Corrie, and I mentioned it in the podcast, but one of my older brothers was a horror film fan. He was always renting the Nightmares, Halloweens, Fridays, Hellraisers, and whatnot... which is how I saw all of those films and franchises pretty early in my life. At some point, he stumbled upon this and, well, there I was. I honestly think I either blocked most of it, or wasn't paying attention enough. I do remember the whole Leatherface chase scene with him running through the woods and Sally's non-stop screaming, which is the part that mostly stuck in my mind; but I don't think I got the full brunt of it. My older brother, on the other hand, had nightmares!

I've never seen Boggy Creek, but I just added it to my watchlist.

EDIT: It was already on my watchlist.

Well, to be honest, I don't remember, but I had to be younger than 10, or close.
WOW. Given how much Salem's Lot screwed me up at age 8 I can't imagine what TCM would've done to me. Yikes.

I've never seen Boggy Creek, but I just added it to my watchlist.
EDIT: It was already on my watchlist.
That's probably my fault. Apologies in advance.

Yeah when I first saw TCM I remember being thrown off at how weird the structure of the movie was. It’s got a kind of short runtime and for the first 45 nothing horror-related happens. Then within ten minutes everyone gets killed off in quick succession and we’re left with our final girl for the last 20 minutes or so. But in the days after having watched it I couldn’t stop thinking about it and eventually grew to really enjoy it after mulling it over for some time.

Well thanks to the Criterion collection sale now I have Blu Ray copies of The Uninvited, Rebecca, The Virgin Spring, Eyes Without a Face, Devil's Backbone (finally upgraded from plain ole DVD) and the Seventh Seal.

The truth is in here
The Legend Of Boggy Creek is slowpaced, but in a way that works to its favor. The quiet first half where we get to see everyone going about their life, occasionally talking about the legend that's going around town helps make the horror of the second half feel much more sudden and real. Definitely a special little creepy movie.

Anyone seen Luz (2018)?

I have it on my watchlist but don't remember adding it. I was going to check it out, but then the plot description starts like "In this dark and sick film . . . " and I was like "Ugh."

Is that just badly written copy? Is the movie worth checking out? I need answerrrrrrrrrrrs.

Anyone seen Luz (2018)?

I have it on my watchlist but don't remember adding it. I was going to check it out, but then the plot description starts like "In this dark and sick film . . . " and I was like "Ugh."

Is that just badly written copy? Is the movie worth checking out? I need answerrrrrrrrrrrs.
I haven't seen it yet but I haven't read anything that led me to believe it was gory or overly unpleasant. "Artsy" and "trippy" are among the descriptors I keep finding.