Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (Brad Bird, 2011)

A big step up from the last film, Bird handles the direction with assured confidence that gives the film its own unique style which feels very cohesive and makes for an enjoyable and thrilling experience. There's a synthesis between the performances (mainly Cruise and his sunts), the cinematography from Elswit and the editing. It all works together, with a slightly more humourous script too.

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (Christopher McQuarrie, 2015)

McQuarrie carries on the good work from the last film and gives us plenty more of the good stuff. The action sequences in this film are for me the best of the series. Watching all six films in a row makes you realise just how laughable some of the plots are, especially when the same story is almost recycled six times, but when it's all filmed so well you don't really mind. The introduction of Rebecca Ferguson really helps in taking the film up a notch too, the balance feels spot on here with a mixture of characters old and new.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Christopher McQuarrie, 2018)

Another very strong film with many of the same strong qualities as the last film. My minor complaints would be that it does seem slightly overlong, and the attempts to bring some sort of emotional core with the reintroduction of his wife into the story is really, really weak.
I loved the series from the 1960s, although they were about a group team who took assignments. Lately I've been winding my way back through the films since they were mentioned a week or two ago. I agree with your ratings. MI-2 was pretty bad, then they started to pick back up.

So far we've watched the first four. Will tackle the most recent two soon. Then of course #7 will supposedly be out next month.

The plots are practically immaterial. The action, the stunts, and the clever gizmos are the real draw-- plus Cruise's irrepressible personality and smile. All this within a PG-13 rating. What's not to like??

John Wick

8/10

Happy Gilmore (1996)

Probably my favorite Adam Sandler movie, as the charm and humor still ages well with me. Even though I know some of the scenes so well (fight with Bob Barker for example), I still laugh so hard.

The Blackcoat's Daughter (2017) -

This is a hard film to write about without spoiling, because a lot of the film's joy comes from the way its plot unfolds and reveals more insight about its backstory as it goes on, adding several dimensions of interesting themes to itself and changing the way you initially viewed certain characters in the process. With that being said though, I liked this film much more when I rewatched it. While I liked it well enough with my first viewing, I found it to be somewhat dull at times. With my second viewing, however, in addition to realizing the significance of several shots I didn't think much of during my first viewing, I found it to be a thematically rich and moody film whose ideas really resonated with me. Joan's scenes with Bill and Linda stuck out the most, though I also found found Rose and Kat interesting. The sound design is also excellent, not solely due to how creepy certain sounds are (Kat's phone call or the heater), but how these sounds would often culminate with disturbing visuals that turned these moments into sensually pleasing sequences. While you may have to be patient with this film to get the full benefit of it, the rewards you get for doing so are definitely worth the effort.

This is a hard film to write about without spoiling, because a lot of the film's joy comes from the way its plot unfolds and reveals more insight about its backstory as it goes on, adding several dimensions of interesting themes to itself and changing the way you initially viewed certain characters in the process. With that being said though, I liked this film much more when I rewatched it. While I liked it well enough with my first viewing, I found it to be somewhat dull at times. With my second viewing, however, in addition to realizing the significance of several shots I didn't think much of during my first viewing, I found it to be a thematically rich and moody film whose ideas really resonated with me. Joan's scenes with Bill and Linda stuck out the most, though I also found found Rose and Kat interesting. The sound design is also excellent, not solely due to how creepy certain sounds are (Kat's phone call or the heater), but how these sounds would often culminate with disturbing visuals that turned these moments into sensually pleasing sequences. While you may have to be patient with this film to get the full benefit of it, the rewards you get for doing so are definitely worth the effort.
One of the best horror films of the last decade. Could even have made my best horror films ballot last year if I only had seen it before that.

One of the best horror films of the last decade. Could even have made my best horror films ballot last year if I only had seen it before that.
I can definitely see it growing on me some more with a third viewing. Glad you also liked it!

Enola Holmes 9/10

It's a surprisingly good movie

https://shinji-ikari-movie-reviews.b...la-holmes.html

After The Storm (2016)

Kore-eda just makes great films.

That's one of the few Kore-eda's I haven't seen. It's supposed to be a companion piece to 'Still Walking' which is excellent. I must get round to it.

'The Asphalt Jungle' 1950

What a film. A near perfect example of film noir. Dark, sultry, even philosophical in the last 20 minutes or so. Sterling Hayden with some awesome screen presence and Monroe as a mistress. A true classic

Unregistered User
That's one of the few Kore-eda's I haven't seen. It's supposed to be a companion piece to 'Still Walking' which is excellent. I must get round to it.

Ah I didn't know that, thanks for heads up, might try get to that one soon then. I think you'll really like this one SL.

Hmm, I had probably passed this while browsing a couple of times, but had never given it much thought. Will add to my watchlist. Thanks!

EDIT: Yep, already had it on my Letterboxd watchlist which probably means that someone had already mentioned it at some point. Will prioritize, though

Hmm, I had probably passed this while browsing a couple of times, but had never given it much thought. Will add to my watchlist. Thanks!

EDIT: Yep, already had it on my Letterboxd watchlist which probably means that someone had already mentioned it at some point. Will prioritize, though
There was indeed much discussion about it some time ago. I hereby recommend all 3 of Oz Perkins' films, to varying degrees.

Welcome to the human race...
The Descent -

idk for a film that takes place in a really deep cave it ultimately feels kinda shallow to me

There was indeed much discussion about it some time ago. I hereby recommend all 3 of Oz Perkins' films, to varying degrees.
I have seen none