Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The King of Comedy

Loved the seamless blending of reality and fiction. The film also had a great ending.

The King of Comedy

Loved the seamless blending of reality and fiction. The film also had a great ending.

I remember liking this film, even though I haven't seen it in a few years. I also remember hearing that the character of Jerry was based on Johnny Carson. Who certainly was the king of comedy.

Btw I don't know that you could ever make a film quite like this today, in light of how many stalkers have terrorized celebrities since then.

Weird is relative.
The Axiom (2018)

Clearly above average modern B-horror. Thanks to @MijaFrost for mentioning this to me.

Nice, it's cool you liked it! I'm looking forward to watching it soon.

Weird is relative.
L'Atalante (1934)

So, as a film that is 85 years old, it definitely shows its age... but there are scenes where it feels as though it COULD very well be happening in more modern times, simply due to the human dynamics and emotions.

I liked the blonde heroine, and I could understand why she felt stifled, thrown into a life she knew nothing about, now spending her days at sea around the same three men, which included her new husband - and I also understood his possessive jealousy, but hope he learned his lesson that being controlling only pushes people away.

It was fun to see the numerous cats, and the "old drunken sailor's" room with his knick knacks and odds and ends and hear about how he had traveled all over the world.

I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again - it wasn't particularly memorable in my book, but it was fine for what it was.

Eighth Grade 2018

This kid is the next Dustin Hoffman
Fun watch, original for portraying this specific school period instead of another mid high school period movie.

This is my favorite De Niro/Scorsese collaboration.
WARNING: "spoilers for taxi driver and king of comedy" spoilers below

Did you notice that in both taxi driver and king of comedy deniro's character gets his behavior reinforced at the end?

1st re-watch...Not sure what motivated this re-watch last night, but I'm glad I did. I don't think it really has a chance of winning, but for my money, this was THE Best Picture of 2018. And though I initially was sure that Sam Elliott would be getting a "lifetime achievement/body of work" Oscar for A Star is Born, I am now totally on board with Mahershala Ali winning a second Supporting Actor Oscar...the performance is nothing short of brilliant. And though he's a dark horse in the category with two previous nominations behind him, a Viggo win would be OK with me too, though I don't really see it happening.

WARNING: "spoilers for taxi driver and king of comedy" spoilers below

Did you notice that in both taxi driver and king of comedy deniro's character gets his behavior reinforced at the end?
Yes, one of my few minor issues with The King of Comedy is that the character of Rupert Pupkin comes out smelling like a rose and I'm not really sure if the character was worthy of that.

Welcome to the human race...
^As with Taxi Driver...

WARNING: "King of Comedy/Taxi Driver" spoilers below
the protagonist effectively being rewarded for his reprehensible actions can be interpreted as either an indictment of a society accustomed to sensationalism - Travis kills off degenerate scum, Rupert hatches a crazy-enough-to-work scheme - or as a complete and utter break from reality for characters who had been growing increasingly mentally unstable (especially in Rupert's case as he was more explicitly shown to be imagining certain sequences)

Last movie...

Before Sunrise -

contemplating whether or not it's worth the full five

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Best of the Best (Robert Radler, 1989)

This martial arts drama is highlighted by a great performance by James Earl Jones as the coach of the U.S. Karate Team, whose proclamation of "a team is not a team if you don't give a damn about one another" holds true as we see the members go from separate to a bonded unit when they head to Korea to face their national Taekwondo team. The highlight are the tournament scenes in the end, especially the fight between Phillip Rhee's Tommy and Simon Rhee's Dae Han. The real-life brothers have the best fight of the film and the final scene itself to this day, makes me shed a tear.

Best of the Best II (Robert Radler, 1992)

From emotional drama to standard illegal fight/revenge film, this sequel brings back Eric Roberts' Alex and Phillip Rhee's Tommy as they must train to stop an underground champion named Brakus (German bodybuilder Ralf Moeller in his film debut), who kills their friend Travis (Chris Penn, who was in the original film). When Tommy is kidnapped and forced to fight three gladiators before Brakus, Alex must infiltrate the place with some unexpected help. Despite the standard revenge plot, once again, excellent fight scenes that make Phil Rhee look great.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
He can be sexy, especially with the beard. I do like him in John Wang, uh, excuse me, John Wick

But his sex appeal isn't quite big enough for me to get over his stiff acting. He's bad ass in John Wick and that works, but he has never been the greatest actor. At least in my opinion.

I can't agree with you at all. John Wick is one of the weakest movies he performed in. His beard doesn't make an impression on me, I like him smooth I watched again Constatine recently. There he is bad ass
Yeah, he might not be the greatest actor, but for me he is more than good.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

2/5
Compared with Chronic, which was one year earlier released(in Poland both movies with the same title), it is very average movie. Without this comparison also

I can't agree with you at all. John Wick is one of the weakest movies he performed in. His beard doesn't make an impression on me, I like him smooth I watched again Constatine recently. There he is bad ass
Yeah, he might not be the greatest actor, but for me he is more than good.
You are weird man. The John Wick movies are his biggest succes since The Matrix and his best work in years... I actually didn't like the first one too much but the second is great.

Without the beard he looks like a weirdo. A creep man. hahahaah

I love Stir Crazy – I wonder what people think about the blackface bit these days?