City Of God

→ in
Tools    

I will be retiring from this site in a short while (a delight to many), but before I do I want to make sure you all see a movie.

CITY OF GOD ***** 5 stars (I've given less than 15 movies 5 stars).

A brilliant movie. Fast paced and violent. Nicely written, acted and directed. Possibly the best film of the 21st century thus far. In a crowd among few greats like: "Requiem For A Dream", "Amorres Perros", "Moulon Rouge" and "Amelie".

I refused to read any write ups about this film (the reviews kill the suprise).
This made me enjoy it that much more.

I highly recommend you see the film before you hear all about the plot. See it.
Be warned though... it's violent and subtitled. YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!

Where you going TB? Losing your computer, joining the military, or becoming a monk???
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I'm the agnostic journeyman Slayt. I must travel on, in the search of valuable life information.
I'm like the little hobo (some dog on Canadian Television).

His theme song goes something like:

"Maybe tomorrow I might just settle down, but until tomorrow the whole world is my home".

I would love to trek the Himalayan mountains, scale the Great Wall of China or swin the Reef in Australia. So much to do, so little time.

Hopefully I get a chance to check up on you mofo's in the near future.

By the way see "City of God"... you will thank me afterwords.

WOW, definetly one of the best films this year.

The less said the better, just know its as real and engaging as moving pictures can be.

EVERYONE GO SEE THIS MOVIE.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Kong finally got the chance to this the other day, and found it very hard to watch. For Kong, it certainly was not an entertaining film. That's not to say that it was bad, it wasn't, but it isn't the kind of film you have fun watching.

For those of you who don't know about the film, The City of God is a Brazilian movie about one of the worst slums of the world (called "The City of God") and it spans three decades (60's-80's) and tells the stories of myriad hoods. The film is very violent, and Kong's local critic wrote a harsh review that claimed the film "reveled" in murders, rapes, beatings, and the other instances of shocking immorality, but as usual he (Mal Vincent) was completely off the mark.

The City of God does not, at all, revel in it's violence, but the violence is presented in a very detached, and indifferent way that makes it horrifying to witness. The violence is not meant to entertain. There is one problem with this though: the movie's style. The film is done with tons of style and it's the type of style that has been used in many "violence for kicks" movies, and so it's easy to see how someone might think this film carries that same sentiment, and Kong thinks the director should have been more restrained in his use of stylization.

The City of God does have important themes, and it's interesting to witness how warlords can come to power by offering the poor something that the rest of society and government refuses: safety. Rio's homeless and hopeless were placed in the slum to be out of sight and forgotten about, but this was doomed to backfire, and the movie tell's the tragic story of just how it all went wrong.

Not for the faint of heart.

***1/2 of ****

i got this movie for christmas not knowing what it was or the plot but i watched it all i can say is WOW. this has definitly bumped up to my top 10 favorite movie list. it is great and shows you the way the people from the City of God live their life. i reccomend this to anyone and go see it now. even if your arrogant and dont want to read subtitles you will get sucked into this movie just like i did.
***** out of *****

I am having a nervous breakdance
For sure one of recent years' best films....

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

"I can't help it..."
This is my favorite film of all time... for now...
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

One in particular-ly was fun
This movie is so fantastic! It is so well paced and its so exhilarating to watch, and not only that it also gives some great insight into a huge problem in Brazil which I barely new about.

It also works on a universal level by showing how a person's attitude towards violence can change so quickly when provoked and how that can lead to a cycle of more violence. If you want to know why humans still war against eachother year after year after so much suffering this movie is a starting point.

Its so great, everyone must see it!

If you don't see this film then shame on you. Everyone already said it but I'll do it again, its a brilliant film.

Just bought it but I haven't watched it yet, still recovering from the first time I saw it.