Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

The Beguiled (2017)
Director: Sofia Coppola
Writers: Thomas Cullinan (novel), Albert Maltz (screenplay)
Cast: Nicole Kidman, Kirsten Dunst, Elle Fanning, Colin Farrell
Genre: Period Piece Drama, Thriller

I really wanted to like this film. I love slow cinema, with it's subtle reflectiveness. I thought maybe Sofia Coppola's re-envisioning of 1971's The Beguiled, would strike gold. It didn't.

Sofia, in a mini documentary about the film, said she decided to tell the story from the women's viewpoint. Good idea...only it wasn't clear in the movie that it was from the ladies viewpoint. There's little viewpoint at all.

Most of the juicy characterizations and poignant narrative that were hallmarks of the 1971 version, have been stripped out of this film, leaving a version that is so subtle that I found myself not caring about anything or anyone in the movie. Nor was I ever immersed in the world of the film. It was all so distant.

The sets, the dresses, the gardens, and the compositions used to frame the shots are all exquisite, with an eye for authentic detail...But the lighting of the film while also authentic for a candle lit, large manor house, is so dark and so flat, that I thought I needed glasses. As it was, the film looked as lifeless as the school girls world was.

Spot on. I watched this movie a while ago on a flight, perhaps because I remembered the movie name from your review thread. Overall it felts as flat as Flanders. Colin Farrel does not have enough charisma to carry it. A waste of the 3 talented girls (although I'd only really call Kidman talented among them).

Star Spangled Rhythm (1942)
Director: George Marshall
Cast: Betty Hutton, Victor Moore, Eddie Bracken, Bob Hope
Genre: Comedy, Musical, Variety Show

Pop ( Victor Moore), is a security guard at the front gate of Paramount movie studios. He has bragged to his son who's in the Navy, that he's the head of Paramount. His son (Eddie Bracken) then tells his Navy buddies that his dad can get them into the studio to see some starlets. So when their ship arrives in LA, they head off to Paramount for a good time...forcing Pop and Polly (Betty Hutton) who's a Paramount switch board operator, to pull a fast one and pass off Pop as the head studio man.

Are you with me so far? Star Spangled Rhythm is a comedy made during WWII. The first part is the comedy story as I described above. I must say I loved the first part and laughed out loud at Betty Hutton and Victor Moore. They're darn funny and Betty does some of the craziest stunts I've seen done by an actresses. Her physical comedy has to be seen to believe. I like her!

The second part of the movie is the benefit show for the Navy boys where we see skit after skit featuring the big name Paramount studio stars of the day. The MC is Bob Hope, it figures! This part is OK, one of the better numbers is the comedy song done by Paulette Goddard, Dorothy Lamour and Veronica Lake.

If you're interested in a who's who of 1940s movie stars then this movie is for you. If not, you could turn it off when the variety show starts and still have a great time watching Betty Hutton and Victor Moore.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Star Spangled Rhythm 1942 a.gif
Views:	353
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	39166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Star Spangled Rhythm 1942.JPG
Views:	480
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	39168  

Heidi (2015)
Director: Alain Gsponer
Writers: Petra Biondina Volpe (screenplay), Johanna Spyri (novel)
Cast: Anuk Steffen, Anna Schinz, Lilian Naef
Genre: Adventure, Family

The classic story of a young orphan girl who is sent to live with her cantankerous old grandfather high in the Swiss Alps.

The story of Heidi has been brought to the screen many times before, most notably in 1937 with Shirley Temple playing the lead. What makes this 2015 Swiss produced film so special is the stunning on location filming in the Alps! With shooting being done in both Switzerland and Germany. The Alps look amazing! That alone is reason to watch this movie which goes to great lengths to get authentic buildings and sets that look like little Heidi belongs there.

What also amazed me is when the film was over and I was watching the credits, I realized all the actors had Swiss or Germany names. Then later I read that this film had been dubbed in English for English speaking countries. I was shocked as most dubbed films sound horrible. But this was so good I never even knew it! Maybe the actual actors dubbed themselves in English, that might explain why it worked so good.

Heidi (2015) might not be the most emotional telling of the classic story, and it's not overly dramatic, which is OK and it worked. The actors were all fine, especially the kids. So what more could you ask for?

Attachments

Name:	Heidi 2015.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	39217  

The Asphalt Jungle (1950)

Director: John Huston
Writers: Ben Maddow & John Huston (screenplay), W.R. Burnett (novel)
Cast: Sterling Hayden, Louis Calhern, Jean Hagen, Sam Jaffee, James Whitmore, Marilyn Monroe
Genre: Film Noir

An elderly master mind criminal is released from prison and immediately goes about enlisting a crack team of street wise criminals to pull off a million dollar heist. The heist goes exactly as planned too...only bad luck wasn't figured into the robbers plans. CR

John Huston's movie version of the crime novel The Asphalt Jungle by noted writer W.R. Burnett, turns noir on it's head, by giving the viewer a very noir like story, without any of the noir-ish type characters and with little noir-ish cinematography.

By the early 1950s the melodrama crime movie started changing... gone is the stylish noirs of the 1940s and in it's place is a more serious semi-documentary style of story telling. And that is the type of film John Huston delivers.

The cast is as spartan as they are talented. The studio wanted a big name lead, but Huston insisted on a little known actor Sterling Hayden. Clinched jawed and never flinching are just two descriptive phrases that come to mind regarding Sterling Hayden's acting. Hayden owns the picture by playing it real. He's backed up by Jean Hagen who plays a broad who's got the hots for Hayden. I like the un-sureness that Jean Hagen brought to the movie.

Sam Jaffee is likable as the gentleman criminal master mind. And
Louis Calhern is the very likeable but sleazy lawyer who's not only fencing the stolen goods but is cheating on his wife with a much younger woman. That woman is Marilyn Monroe in one of her first movies. At times she was hard to recognize as the later Marilyn that we all know.

The Asphalt Jungle offers something for everyone.
+++
Attachments

Name:	The Asphalt Jungle 1950 (5).jpg
Views:	325
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	39276   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Asphalt Jungle 1950 (3).jpg
Views:	285
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	39278   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Asphalt Jungle 1950 (2).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	39280  

Here's an interesting list:
http://www.bewilderingstories.com/is...tv_firsts.html

I went looking for the first divorced character on a "primetime" TV show and came up with:
Vivian Bagley (played by Vivian Vance, most famous for playing "Ethel" on I Love Lucy) was an already divorced female on The Lucy Show (1962 - 1968).

And, allegedly, Lou Grant (Ed Asner) was the first primetime TV character to GET a divorce during a show on The Mary Tyler Moore show (in 1973).

Oh God, I remember the breakup of Lou's marriage to Edie...heartbreaking with some brilliant work from Edward Asner.

Lifeboat (1944)

Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Writers: John Steinbeck (story), Jo Swerling (screenplay)
Cast: Tallulah Bankhead, John Hodiak, Walter Slezak, William Bendix
Genre: Drama Suspense

About: In a lifeboat adrift at sea, the sole occupant is a woman dressed in fur and jewels. She seems aloof and oddly calm. As time goes by other passengers from the ship a U-boat sunk, begin to swim towards the lifeboat. Eventually the life boat becomes full with people of different social levels and personality. Then one more man is pulled out of the water, a German from the U-boat that sank the ship...CR

Thoughts: This reminded me of Stagecoach (1939), in that it's a character study about a group of people with vastly different life styles and view points who come into conflict due to confinement in a small area and threatening circumstances.

I've seen Lifeboat now three times, and each viewing I felt the same...for such a dramatic event, the characters and the way they interact is uninteresting. The story felt lifeless to me, even though the visuals of the lifeboat lost at sea, look amazing. The premise is a good one, but the actual script and the characters dialogue was a let down for me. Several times the characters go on and on about their past lives which I found boring and not at all reflective or telling.

This didn't stir my imagination, I never cared or even believed these people were real. Though it's still fun to watch people helplessly adrift at sea, ha. So I didn't hate it or anything, but it felt like a wasted opportunity.

and that rating is as high as it is for Hitch's amazing visuals and special effects.
Attachments

Name:	Lifeboat 1944.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	40402  

Shame - I think Ms. Bankhead was good and aside from the propaganda element find it quite engaging .... as a result I obviously enjoy Lifeboat more than you .... a whole half bucket of dark chocolate popcorn more nom nom nom

I see lots of happening here Citizen and a new, gentle Orson picture .. so how did you find the original Beguiled comparing against the new one? I actually liked the Eastwood one. It wasn't a fine cinema but I still had quite of chuckles with that. It was enjoyable

Shame - I think Ms. Bankhead was good and aside from the propaganda element find it quite engaging .... as a result I obviously enjoy Lifeboat more than you .... a whole half bucket of dark chocolate popcorn more nom nom nom
Ms Bankhead was my favorite. She put on a good show...both on and off camera. Off camera she flashed the crew on a daily basis as she climbed the long ladder into the huge water tank where this was filmed. Seems Ms Bankhead had an aversion to under garments

I see lots of happening here Citizen and a new, gentle Orson picture .. so how did you find the original Beguiled comparing against the new one? I actually liked the Eastwood one. It wasn't a fine cinema but I still had quite of chuckles with that. It was enjoyable
Hi Nestorio I'm a fan of the original Beguiled. I watched it recently and really enjoyed it. Glad you like my Christmas-Orson avatar. I suppose I will have to changed it come the new year.

I watched the end of Lifeboat just the other night. I probably like it a little more also. But I like survival films and Lifeboat is slightly daring for its time.

There's another film I always compare it to and which I really need to see in its entirety - also b&w and takes place on a lifeboat. I'm just too rushed to look up the title right now (so if anyone knows it, shout it out)... but it's about an "officer" (I think) on a lifeboat that can't contain the number of survivors, so he has to decide who goes over. A far more disturbing plot than just surviving or having a head-game playing Nazi in your midst.

I watched the end of Lifeboat just the other night. I probably like it a little more also. But I like survival films and Lifeboat is slightly daring for its time.

There's another film I always compare it to and which I really need to see in its entirety - also b&w and takes place on a lifeboat. I'm just too rushed to look up the title right now (so if anyone knows it, shout it out)... but it's about an "officer" (I think) on a lifeboat that can't contain the number of survivors, so he has to decide who goes over. A far more disturbing plot than just surviving or having a head-game playing Nazi in your midst.
Please! remember the name of that movie....I'm very interested in seeing it.

That lifeboat movie is called Abandon Ship with Tyrone Power..
Yep. Thanks!

I kept thinking Tyrone Power, but had no memory of the movie's title. Had to run out earlier so didn't have time to look it up. Sadly, I only caught part of the movie the first and only time I came upon it and had always wanted to see it again. I remember the scenario of choosing who has to die so that the majority of survivors might live making me sick inside.

I like lifeboat movies - I love every part of The Bounty (1984), but I really like the whole lifeboat story after Bligh and his officers are set adrift - it was a real-life miracle of survival. I think that version's is the best as far as depicting the part of the story involving Bligh's lifeboat survival at sea.

My Favorite Blonde (1942)

Director: Sidney Lanfield
Writers: Melvin Frank & Norman Panama (story)
Cast: Bob Hope, Madeleine Carroll, Gale Sondergaard
Genre: Comedy
Length: 78 minutes

About
: A blonde English secret agent lady (Madeleine Carroll) is carrying secret info and is being stalked by deadly German spies. To throw them off her trail, she hops on a train with vaudeville performer Larry (Bob Hope) and his penguin Percy.

Thoughts: Ugh, just because this is a old Bob Hope film doesn't make it an instant classic. Outside of a few laughs, this wasn't funny, wasn't charming, wasn't fun to watch. Well except for Percy the penguin, who should have gotten star billing!

Bob Hope can be funny when paired with Bing Crosby in one of their 'Road to...' movies, but here Hope is hopelessly all about himself, it's like the guy doesn't know there's other people in the movie. I could see he would be funny on the radio, but it was like he was never in the film and never had any chemistry with his leading lady. The entire cast was pretty lack luster.

This was made during WWII, hence the German spies knocking off people and trying to steal secret allied intelligence. Not much more to say here, except there's a brief appearance by Our Gang's 'Alfalfa' Carl Switzer.

Attachments

Name:	my favorite blonde 1942.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	39418  

The Killing (Stanley Kubrick, 1956)

Director: Stanley Kubrick
Writers: Stanley Kubrick (screenplay), Jim Thompson (dialogue)
Cast: Sterling Hayden, Coleen Gray, Vince Edwards, Marie Windsor, Elisha Cook Jr.
Genre: Film Noir

The Killing is Stanley Kubrick's first big budget film with established stars. It's considered a must see from his film canon.

I'd seen this film before when I first got into film noir, I revisited it last night after watching several other noirs. I have to say I found The Killing to be mediocre at best. The dialogue spoken between the actors in the first act when the crime is being set up, has to be some of the dullest, most repetitive lines of drivel I've heard actors say...add to that some very uninspired acting, by actors who I damn well know can act up a storm, and I have to say this film is not all that it's cracked up to be.

Just a week ago I watched John Huston's 1950 film noir The Asphalt Jungle, a film that The Killing (1956) strongly resembles.

Both films are about an audacious, brilliantly planned robbery that will net millions to the criminals. Both films go into detail about how the robbery will be done, and both have unexpected circumstances foiling the plans of the would be thieves. Hell both films even have Sterling Hayden as the lead bad guy.

The difference is The Asphalt Jungle felt alive with dynamic characters and dialogue that crackled and popped like a Saturday Night Special. Kubrick's film on the other hand is as flat as a man gunned down by the cops. It does have some of Kubrick's trade mark cinematography, and there are some good compositions, but not enough to make it one of the greats.

Attachments

Name:	The Killing 1956.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	39465