Citizen's Top 62, 1930s Actors & Actresses

Tools    

My #27 Favorite 30's Actress is

Ruth Chatterton
Filmography Biography

As far removed from little Shirley Temple as one could get in 1930s Hollywood is 'bad girl' Ruth Chatterton. Ruth often played unscrupulous women with loose values, in early pre-code 1930s films.

Her film career goes back to 1929 and lasted only nine years. Her last film was in 1938. At one time she was one of the biggest stars, but she was also older than the then current crop of leading ladies by about 15 years, which limited her time in Hollywood.

Some of my favorite 1930s films of hers are:

The Rich Are Always with Us (1932)

Frisco Jenny (1932)

Female (1933)

Dodsworth (1936)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruth Chatterton.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	39151  

Also not conversant with her - already have a viewing lined up for this evening so she'll have to wait until tomorrow at the earliest

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I first seen her when I watched a bunch of Pre-Code films on the Forbidden Hollywood series of DVDs.

I actually remember renting that a couple of years back from my library so I did see Female but don't remember it. Night Nurse was the one that I remember best from that video

*sigh* Now I gotta find a copy of Night Nurse too somewhere .... you guys are killing me

night nurses was definitely a favorite from it
Dammit Ed - please tell me this was a typo and it's not a sequel that I've also now gotta try n source

*sigh* Now I gotta find a copy of Night Nurse too somewhere .... you guys are killing me

Dammit Ed - please tell me this was a typo and it's not a sequel that I've also now gotta try n source
yeah, its a long running series
night nurse
night nurses
night nurse brigade (sorta high budget low story moving forward)
and, a quite wonderful closer to it all: night nurse gets some f@ckin shut eye

yeah, its a typo

and, a quite wonderful closer to it all: night nurse gets some f@ckin shut eye
This one actually sounds quite interesting .... I'm just a wee bit sad now that it's not a real fillum

This one actually sounds quite interesting .... I'm just a wee bit sad now that it's not a real fillum
i know, right?
definitely one to go into blind, don't watch any trailers, it'll ruin the twist lol

definitely one to go into blind, don't watch any trailers, it'll ruin the twist lol
Purely from the title I'm guessing it involves bukkake?

I think we should probably end this here

Purely from the title I'm guessing it involves bukkake?

I think we should probably end this here
actually that's what happens in the 1971 remake

yeah, you're right, we're done here

Watched Ms. Chatterton's Sarah And Son and Anybody's Woman this morning (both directed by Dorothy Arzner btw for those considering films for the 'directed by women' countdown) and she was decent in both - the former is a touch melodramatic and stilted in places for my particular taste but the latter played much more to my preferences and have to say I absolutely loved the titular usage.

Watched Ms. Chatterton's Sarah And Son and Anybody's Woman this morning (both directed by Dorothy Arzner btw for those considering films for the 'directed by women' countdown) and she was decent in both - the former is a touch melodramatic and stilted in places for my particular taste but the latter played much more to my preferences and have to say I absolutely loved the titular usage.
Those are two I've never seen. The last one sounds rather juicy.

Those are two I've never seen. The last one sounds rather juicy.
I'm actually a little surprised - she was Academy nominated for the first one so I automatically assumed you would have seen it. The second was clearly the better watch though imo.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I see how you are doing it. I thought I would see them listed as 62, 61, 60, et.c. I like the way you are doing it better, actually. I never would've thought to do that.

I really don't understand why, but I always got a kick out of the title of this book. I don't know why. I just did.

My #30 Favorite 1930's Actor is

Edward Everett Horton

Holiday (1938) a comedy with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn

[/left]
I've always really enjoyed him. And how I am hoping Holiday makes the countdown! I really can't stress enough how much I love that film.

My #29 Favorite 30's Actress is
[center]
[left]
Alice Faye
[center]Filmography Biography
Don't really listen to what I say - I could be wrong , but in my mind Alice Faye was the one that Tony Martin called when he was drunk from backstage when he was in town (I think it was at one of the theaters my mom's uncle managed). Everyone out front could hear him. I guess he was really mad about whatever it was, but I am pretty sure that is who it was.

Have no idea who this is - Edward Everett Horton. Have heard Holiday is excellent though so i'll get to him at some point.
You saw Arsenic and Old Lace, right? He is in that one.

..I've always really enjoyed him. And how I am hoping Holiday makes the countdown! I really can't stress enough how much I love that film.
You know I'm not sure if I've ever seen Holiday (1938)...It sounds familiar and I've heard of it as it's a classic, but I just read about it and it doesn't ring a bell. While you know sometime in the future before the 1930s countdown is over, I'll have to do a Cary Grant HoF, maybe that film will get nominated.

Don't really listen to what I say - I could be wrong , but in my mind Alice Faye was the one that Tony Martin called when he was drunk from backstage when he was in town (I think it was at one of the theaters my mom's uncle managed). Everyone out front could hear him. I guess he was really mad about whatever it was, but I am pretty sure that is who it was.
That's interesting, it would have been neat to overhear that conversation!

You saw Arsenic and Old Lace, right? He is in that one.[/quote]