Falling Asleep During Film-Watching

Tools    

Has this ever happened to you? You doze off trying to watch a movie or when you're having a marathon? It's happened to me quite a number of times and is pretty annoying when it does. Sometimes after a long work day I want to kick back with a movie or two but the length of the day creeps up on me and I can't resist closing my eyes despite my hardest efforts to stay awake. Sometimes when I marathon a long series and as my body relaxes I can start feeling sleepy and doze off even if I wasn't particularly tired before. I've got a strong resistance to caffeine so it rarely works to keep me wired, anymore. It can be annoying to conk out trying to watch a movie. Not yet happened to me in the theater, but there's been instances I'm very tired and am not really paying attention to the film.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Yes it does happen. Never in the theater, thank God. But if I didn't get enough sleep, it will definitely happen. Especially when I pop in a Blu-Ray, sometimes I pause the film and close my eyes 20-30 minutes and then I resume to watch the film lol. My father is notorious for always sleeping during films, It's kind of a family joke. The problem with me is that even though I love film so much, I have always been HORRIBLE at binge-watching. I can never marathon a film franchise because by film 2 I'm already tired, I have to wait at least half a day to pop in the next film. That's also why my friends refuse to watch TV shows with me, as I can't binge-watch an entire season like they can, I can only make it to 4-5 episodes. Does anyone have any tips on how to get better at this? (For days that I am free to watch as much as I can of course)

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I would catnap in and out watching movies with the ex sometimes. Not intentionally of course. It's just that usually movies only came up around 11pm for whatever reason. Like, "Hey! I been wanting to watch so-n-so and it's on Amazon. Watch with me!" Mostly though, it was while binge watching CW series.

Yes it does happen. Never in the theater, thank God. But if I didn't get enough sleep, it will definitely happen. Especially when I pop in a Blu-Ray, sometimes I pause the film and close my eyes 20-30 minutes and then I resume to watch the film lol. My father is notorious for always sleeping during films, It's kind of a family joke. The problem with me is that even though I love film so much, I have always been HORRIBLE at binge-watching. I can never marathon a film franchise because by film 2 I'm already tired, I have to wait at least half a day to pop in the next film. That's also why my friends refuse to watch TV shows with me, as I can't binge-watch an entire season like they can, I can only make it to 4-5 episodes. Does anyone have any tips on how to get better at this? (For days that I am free to watch as much as I can of course)

Best I can suggest is to attempt a binge watch on a day off after you've gotten up rather early and have a lot of energy for the day.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Yes. I take after my dad but I'm on pain meds that send me into micro sleeps. Not much I can do about it except to rewind to where I think I fell asleep and start again. I havent done it in the cinema yet.

I sometimes nod off during movies, as I only watch them late at night after dinner. And it has nothing to do with the quality of the movie. If I'm really tired, I will close one eye thinking, 'I'll rest the other eye for just a moment.'

Which usually ends up with me closing both eyes. And when I do I'll just say to myself, 'I'll listen to the movie and rest both eyes'....

Then I fall asleep, but only for about 10 minutes and I'll be dreaming I'm still watching the movie, as I can hear it. Then when I wake up I realize the scene I was imaging/dreaming wasn't anything like the actual movie. And that folks is how I know I would have made a great director

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
In the cinema, No.

At home i fall asleep every night haha. Sometimes it can take me a week to watch a bloody film.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

The last time i remember this happening was on a plane when i was like 11. The film was My Big Fat Greek Wedding iirc.

I have had sleeping problems since i was a teenager and i really can't sleep at all with noise in my room. Plenty of times i've turned movies off due to being too tired though.

Actually i fell asleep to Solaris last year. That was due to having severe toothache and nausea, i passed out more than fell asleep i posted about it.

First of all i was watching this and digging it then really painful toothache came out of nowhere. I ended up taking a couple of Ibuprofen as i was starting to get a headache, then things escalated . Long story short i ended up super sick; falling in and out of sleep for around four hours then i woke up feeling fine. The good thing about having to stop Solaris and come back to it later was that it was at the perfect time; pretty much 2 minutes into Kelvin first arriving at the station. Thanks to that madness and going right back to sleep after i watched it last night then being out all day i've forgot half of the stuff i was going to say about it.
Solaris has got to me the trippiest movie for that to happen to you during I remember it started during the long car ride that probably made it worse, then i completely passed out when Kris got to the station.

In my early 20s I could easily go through a marathon of movies and still be awake and fresh at 1-2 am.

Now, in my 30s and the father of a toddler... I'm absolutely spent by 9 pm most nights and fall asleep watching movies on a weekly basis. lol

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Never. When I want to sleep, I sleep. When I want to watch a film, I watch a film.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

That days Im not even need to sleep catching 500s episodes of one piece or 24 hours FM routine has long gone. Thanks das bot

The only time I fell asleep during a movie was when I went see The Magnificent Seven (2016) at the Alamo Drafthouse (what a place to fall asleep!) when I went to Denver (of course my sobriety at the time had alot to do with this).

But in my old age, I can't stay up late anymore. So when I try to start a movie at 10:30pm/11:00pm, I'm usually asleep an hour after. My problem is that I watch movie in bed laying down, so that's basically an invitation for me to doze off. Current example, I've shamefully been falling asleep on Il Boss (1973) for the past three nights. Great movie thus far, I just have to start it earlier next time to finish the whole thing.

I have a sub question for everyone here: when you fall asleep while watching a movie at home, do you restart it when you go to rewatch it, or pick up where you left off? I try to watch the whole thing in one sitting if I can.

...I have a sub question for everyone here: when you fall asleep while watching a movie at home, do you restart it when you go to rewatch it, or pick up where you left off? I try to watch the whole thing in one sitting if I can.
I pick up where I nodded off, which is usually only like 10 minutes.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
^
IF I fall asleep, I rewind to where I remember leaving off. Generally if I start a movie so late, I've seen it 100 times already so it becomes just background noise anyway. If it's a new movie, I'll watch it at a more reasonable time. If I STILL fall asleep, them I may never bother rewatching as it didn't hold my attention to begin with.