Ready Player One

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Honestly... looks kinda lame. I know only it's of the book but none of it really peaks my interest.

Maybe it's a sign of something that I'm more excited for a political drama (The Papers) than a movie where The Iron Giant and Freddy Kruger meet in a virtual battlefield.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
The trailer doesn't really provide a whole much in-terms of engaging narrative and/or substantial merit, but I don't think that's really what the actual goal of the trailer was. The trailer pulls at nostalgic strings and hopes that the novelty will entice viewers to pay the price of admission. Personally speaking, I flipped the **** out when I saw Freddy Krueger and Iron Giant, and I think a lot of others did as well. I prefer that they don't reveal too much, and I have hopes that Spielberg will deliver a real hit.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I saw the trailer at BR or IT and I got excited. Is it nostalgia bait? Probably. Having the DeLorean flit around is gonna hit a bunch in the fees. It didn't hurt that the world's greatest drummer and his band were providing the sound. Sorry Danny Carey.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I liked the book and I'm looking forward to the movie but that trailer doesn't really give any sense of the plot or characters at all, it really is just 'look at all the money we've spent on special effects and licensing fees'....

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I liked the book and I'm looking forward to the movie but that trailer doesn't really give any sense of the plot or characters at all, it really is just 'look at all the money we've spent on special effects and licensing fees'....
LOL. I actually got that very thought from the trailer, along with millennials save the world. Looks like fun.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, the excerpts of it that I've seen do make it sound like the worst of geek culture wrapped around a blandly cyberpunk hero-with-a-thousand-faces kind of story. I'm hoping that Spielberg can pull something worthwhile out of it, but given what his blockbusters have been like in recent years I'm not holding out too much hope.

This might just do nobody any good.
It really does read like 50 Shades of Grey for Nerds™. A whole page dedicated to describing a guy’s customized DeLorean (ugggghhhhh).

The fact that it’s so awful is what’s got me interested in seeing what Spielberg does with it. It’s so beneath him, even in terms of his recent “kids movies”, so maybe there’s an angle there to observe or critic the whole nostalgia culture, intertextuality and the internet as a whole.

Or it’s an easy cash grab to move forward with whatever, more interesting, project he’s got brewing (Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara, probably).