Lovecraft Country

Tools    

http://modernhorrors.com/hbo-lurks-l...le-j-j-abrams/

"Somewhere beyond the grave, beyond the Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft is smiling. Like us, he’s just learned that HBO has green-lit Lovecraft Country as a straight-to-series show to be executive produced by Jordan Peele. Fresh off the 200+ million-dollar success of Get Out, Peele’s low-budget Horror film made on a $4.5 million budget, fans have been eager to hear about the projects Peele will tackle next.

Published in 2016 and written in pulp-novel detective style, the critically acclaimed novel, Lovecraft Country was penned by Matt Ruff and centers on the real-life terrors of Jim Crow America while stirring in mind-bending Lovecraftian horror and fantasy.

The series pilot will be written by Misha Green who wrote for Heroes, Sons of Anarchy and co-created the period drama series Underground for WGN America. Peele’s Monkeypaw Productions will produce, partnering with J.J. Abrams and Ben Stephenson’s Bad Robot.

Synopsis:
Chicago, 1954. When his father Montrose goes missing, 22-year-old Army veteran Atticus Turner embarks on a road trip to New England to find him, accompanied by his Uncle George and his childhood friend Letitia. On their journey to the manor of Mr. Braithwhite—heir to the estate that owned one of Atticus’s ancestors—they encounter both mundane terrors of white America and malevolent spirits that seem straight out of the weird tales George devours."

This might just do nobody any good.
Courtney B. Vance and Elizabeth Debicki will star.

https://www.thewrap.com/courtney-b-v...craft-country/

Jonathan Majors (Hostiles) will play the lead, Atticus, while Vance will play his uncle, George, publisher of the “Safe Negro Travel Guide.” Aunjanue Ellis (Quantico) will play Hippolyta, George’s wife.

Debicki, meanwhile, will star as Christina Braithwhite, the only daughter of Samuel Braithwhite, the leader of a secret order calling themselves the “Sons of Adam.”

Man I hope this ends up being great. I dont think there ever has been a good adaptation on anything from H.P. Lovecraft. Ever.

Strange thought occured to me, but M Night Shyamalan would be the right guy to direct something Lovecraftian. He knows how to set a tone, have sudden horror which would challenge a characters sanity, and wouldn't have to write it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Man I hope this ends up being great. I dont think there ever has been a good adaptation on anything from H.P. Lovecraft. Ever.

Strange thought occured to me, but M Night Shyamalan would be the right guy to direct something Lovecraftian. He knows how to set a tone, have sudden horror which would challenge a characters sanity, and wouldn't have to write it.
I think Dagon is pretty good.

Suspect's Reviews

Well. I just finished the second episode so maybe its too early to say, its not awful, but imo its not worth the emmy nomination it got. At least so far.

MEH! Got almost halfway into episode 3 and realized the series is an American Horror Story rip off. Im done. Lovecraft fare still hasnt transferred well to tv or cinema.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
MEH! Got almost halfway into episode 3 and realized the series is an American Horror Story rip off. Im done. Lovecraft fare still hasnt transferred well to tv or cinema.
I may have made it to the next episode or two, but I couldn't find a connection to the first story line and thought the same, re: AHS. Maybe it comes back together at some point, but after the basement séance, I kinda had enough. I think that's tragic as I really wanted to see this succeed. I may revisit it in time and come to a different opinion, but I keep passing it over for other things.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear