Lake Placid. And the phenomenon of Weirdness in Hollywood. Does it end

Tools    

Hi,

I was wondering and thinking to myself the other day. About the Movie Lake Placid. I thought Lake Placid was a good movie. The sequel I didn't care so much for. But that is kind of the point. I liked Bill Pullman and Bridgit Fonda. Their chemistry was good. And I liked Betty White from Golden Girls feeding the giant Crocodile Monster. I think people or some are starting to get what I am about to go to.
Like if some major calamity happened and killed everyone in Hollywood except for One producer and One Cameraman. And you went up to that One producer and had an idea for a movie. An idea that wasn't fight a monster have a band of heroes. Where some of them die. Some of them die horribly. And there is some comedy. There is a love scene. There is humor.. If your idea was anything but that, that one producer would literally starve himself out in the desert before accepting your proposal. So it's like what gives. I saw a video the other day on youtube Macaulay Carson Culkin doing a video about home alone video games. With some guy on the internet that's all he does it make fun of bad video games. And he had a guest star. Macaulay Culkin from home alone. I am like what is going on? I remember Home Alone. Those were good movies. And maybe you can say that Macaulay Culkin wasn't fighting a big dragon or something but then again all of the shenaningans that happen in those home alone movies to me almost equates to that. Like Lake Placid. Lake Placid phenomenon. So what is Macaulay Culkin doing these days? Make videos where some nobody is making fun of video games. He even generously makes fun of Macaulay Culkin during the filming of the video. Is that what Hollywood is? Macaulay Culkins. Use them up and then move on. Like they are just despensible items. If that is so then what do they think of us who are watching these movies?

I'm having trouble following what you're saying/asking here. Can you try to distill it a bit, or summarize perhaps?

Breaking paragraphs up with line breaks goes a long way towards readability, too.

I'm having trouble following what you're saying/asking here. Can you try to distill it a bit, or summarize perhaps?

Breaking paragraphs up with line breaks goes a long way towards readability, too.

Sorry yoda. I am just saying that I think Hollywood should have taken like a two year break after the 9/11 tragedy from making movies. Because what we have today is really crap. Remember the days when the Oscars talked about what were the good movies. The movies that everyone loved and that deserved awards? Today the talk is #OscarsSoWhite. Or there isn't enough diversity in the Oscars. Need more black people. More black actors. More Asian directors. Ice-T language from the 1980s. Yoda do you own any black market dinosaur skulls?
That isn't the main point I am bringing up. The whole Hollywood appeal is really bankrupt and broken.
I mean the language and dialogue in movies has infiltrated the culture to the point where people don't know how to act anymore. "Peeps," says maria bartiromo, saying we all need "Peeps," for easter. Or that the Notre Dame Cathedral is the "Mackdaddy," of all cathedrals. Mackdaddy, says Rick Sanchez. The movies are to blame for this. To putting really a language that is a form of ebonics into our way of knowing and understanding the world.

It's like they are goading us to have to somehow watch all of the movies. There is no dynamic other than the devil. I mean Netflix. Come on. It's crap. It's not an industry. Such a no brainer, says Jim Cramer.
Yeah I would love to hang up on Hollywood. Do you not see there is a weirdness going on. Maybe if you don't care about the urban language that is taking over even news anchors using words like Mackdaddy. It's like we can only be nice to someone if they are with us in some kind of way to fight a monster. And we all know these monsters like you see are all over the place. The alien in the movie alien. Seriously? Hollywood should be completely walled off and taped off and it should be mandatory that they put up Bozo the circus signs all on top of posts around the walls. And then space them apart. I'm a Christian and these faith based movies. They are all crap too! Not because the acting is bad or the script is bad (well that too) but they are following the same "cunning" of Hollywood. With the dragon has to get killed in the end. I mean there is no message other than that. So yeah I love the Mackdaddy.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
o.O

You got two different topics here. Actors all have expiration dates. Fashions change. Trends change. Markets change. Kevin grew up and lost his adorable voice with puberty.

Not sure what the second post is.

Today the talk is #OscarsSoWhite. Or there isn't enough diversity in the Oscars. Need more black people. More black actors. More Asian directors.
what's wrong with that? representation is important

Do these people even believe in God? Is it their egoes and that's it? A green pulsating Andromeda strain or virus (whatever it is.) I liked the Andromeda strain (the movie) to me it looked like an unfinished product.

Sorry yoda. I am just saying that I think Hollywood should have taken like a two year break after the 9/11 tragedy from making movies.
I think this is a strange and implausible contention, but okay, at least it's clear. Here's the problem: this isn't really clear from your earlier post, and you go on to say a whole lot of things even in this last reply that don't appear connected. For example:

Yoda do you own any black market dinosaur skulls?
"Peeps," says maria bartiromo, saying we all need "Peeps," for easter.
It's like they are goading us to have to somehow watch all of the movies. There is no dynamic other than the devil. I mean Netflix. Come on. It's crap. It's not an industry. Such a no brainer, says Jim Cramer.
The alien in the movie alien. Seriously? Hollywood should be completely walled off and taped off and it should be mandatory that they put up Bozo the circus signs all on top of posts around the walls.
These don't really appear connected in any coherent way. It just seems to be "here's a thing that bothers me," which is obviously connected in your mind to any other thing that bothers you in a Here's-What's-Wrong-With-The-World way, but that doesn't mean it's connected in an objective sense, or in the context of having a discussion with someone.

You may hate broccoli and stubbing your toe, but that doesn't mean the two are actually linked in any meaningful sense when we're talking about vegetables. And I still don't understand why you were replying to a specific user with it.

I do not agree with the idea that Hollywood is teaching us to use "ebonics." I think language in general is in a kind of crappy state, but that's a general, society-wide thing as we get used to new and depersonalized forms of communication. I don't think it's some kind of mass-orchestrated Hollywood conspiracy, or whatever you're implying, and even if it was, I'm not sure what that has to do with the general topic of "weirdness," how Lake Placid (of all things) fits into it, or what you're really looking for in response here.

This all sounds like the kind of rant that would go on a blog or a YouTube video. It doesn't really sound like an attempt to have a discussion, in other words.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

o.O

You got two different topics here. Actors all have expiration dates. Fashions change. Trends change. Markets change. Kevin grew up and lost his adorable voice with puberty.

Not sure what the second post is.
The word diversity bothers me. It pretty much means dumbing down. And dumbing us down is pretty much the point of this thread. This is hardly the Shlieffen plan. I mean I could care less how many African Americans or Asian Americans are in Hollywood. I care about the Lake Placid Weirdness phenomenon. Diversity could be a tool for this.
Hollywood movies are crap. I mean Sharknado? They can't afford cartoon artists anymore? No GPS connection. No GPS connection between me and Hollywood movies. To me it really turned into lemmings (you know those rodents that all in unison run and jump off a cliff to their deaths.) Is that diversity for ya? I told a coworker friend that I really liked the movie Spartacus. He was like cool! But he thought I meant the newer TV show version. I mean are we in La La land? And back to diversity. Why does diversity in Hollywood become front page news. But diversity in the military is tucked away like on page ten of the lifestyles column. I mean blacks in the Navy Seals are like two percent. And I have to dig around to find that out. The Navy Seals should have Oscar awards.
I mean Hollywood is not reinventing the wheel. If anything it is putting us to a time before we even had the wheel. This is scary.

The Lake Placid weirdness phenomenon.
Ha. Even Mystery science theatre knows about the stupidity of our culture. You have to have a reference to some dumb Italian DeNiro, Scaramucci. DeVito. Whatever.
Won't roll their eyes at you when talking about bigfoot, says Dave Shrader.
YNWTF actually it is not "two different topics."
The topic of #Osscars so white goes along with this. With the monsters. Because all of this — needing more diversity and yadda yadda is just a distraction. This is the same ill industry that brought us crap like Birth of a Nation with the KKK outfits. And what about that cute black kid from the show Webster?? Emmanuel Lewis. Used up? For cuteness. Black or white it doesn't matter. Hollywood is a mansion of sin.
Yeah I mean if you want to see a movie made by an Asian director then watch Vulgaria. Vulgaria, that's a good name for the entire industry. Well it is described as being about a bottom feeding producer. Geez. They have so much love for all of us! Oh YWN — Who the heck is Jason Alexander? A dope? A doper.
Actually, I love to watch the news. Because they talk about diversity. They always do. They also talk about monsters. And I love Katharine Timpf she is an opinion person (on Fox news.) She knows what I am talking about. She hates mullets. She hates movies where guys have mullets. You know — movies like Joe Dirt and Office Space that someone with an intelligence level of a donkey injected with syphilis would think is funny. I am waking up from this new world order financed con. Comedians like woody allen with the latreen jokes (That aren't funny.) Like I said, do these people even believe in God. Not Katharine Timpf but I mean the Hollywood people. I see you guys chose to throw up on that. I mean are we in La La land?
How do you have your cake and eat it too, says Hallie Jackson
There is no doubt. We have idiots out there professors who think that the mayans had Bluetooth because they were wearing "headsets" on some of the ancient glyphs. It's getting wacky. People will defend movies. Burnt out actors. Burnt out scripts. Burnt out Matt LeBlancs.
How about watching a show like the doctors and they say, "their testes are going nutts." Well yeah testes there is another great carryover from the movie industry. Teaching us the greatness of morals and culture.

Nobody's really going to engage with what you're saying if it's this scattershot. I tried to explain in my post above, with examples, why there appears to be no throughline to what you're saying, and therefore isn't really conducive to discussion (which is important, this being a discussion forum and all). I guess you're free to post these stream-of-consciousness rants if you want, but I don't think it'll lead to much conversation in this form, mostly because this form is the kind that suggests the author isn't really looking for conversation.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Quickly, you're taking the more extreme examples to argue against (for whatever your argument is). That's like conplaining about the quality of food from a 4-star restaurant based on what you're find out back in a dumpster.

Sharknado is your comparison? Hey! There's a market for low-budget, self aware schlock. Just as there's a market for Sparticus. Dumbing down happens. Smartening up does too. Why obsess over one as if the other doesn't exist? Maybe expand your circle of friends. Join a movie club. Post on a forum.

*EDIT*
Also (and not to be blunt), but your whole thing seems to be about the dumbing down of cinema. Reread your posts and maybe make and edit or three hundred. How can anyone take your thoughts seriously when delivered the way they've been? Ironic a bit, no?

Seems like most of the supposed contradictions are based in treating "Hollywood" as a singular entity. Not only across lots of otherwise different people, but even across time! Therefore complaining about racism today is somehow undermined by the fact that racists movies were made a century ago.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense, as far as I can see, and I say that as someone who thinks very little of Hollywood's cultural sensibilities (or penchant for cultural lecturing).

Quickly, you're taking the more extreme examples to argue against (for whatever your argument is). That's like conplaining about the quality of food from a 4-star restaurant based on what you're find out back in a dumpster.

Sharknado is your comparison? Hey! There's a market for low-budget, self aware schlock. Just as there's a market for Sparticus. Dumbing down happens. Smartening up does too. Why obsess over one as if the other doesn't exist? Maybe expand your circle of friends. Join a movie club. Post on a forum.

*EDIT*
Also (and not to be blunt), but your whole thing seems to be about the dumbing down of cinema. Reread your posts and maybe make and edit or three hundred. How can anyone take your thoughts seriously when delivered the way they've been? Ironic a bit, no?
I like turtles!

Maybe someone should make a movie about a giant turtle instead of a giant alligator? Oh wait, Japan already did that! (Still waiting for a Godzilla vs Gamera movie!)

*EDIT*

Anywho. This is one topic. Encompasses the dumbing us down (dumbing us down way more than smarting us up, I actually have a blog on that.) Movies and Hollywood, the gremlin entity whatever has a agenda (which includes the dispensible Macaulay Culkins, Birth of a Nation type movies, and also black lives matter or God knows what now on race), and three some kind of bizarre pseudo morality (I mean really weird) like hate thy neighbor except when the monster comes. Then we presto chango become super hero best buds. *Independence day, everyone hates everyone's guys until we have to fight the monster. Then it's all kisses. Lake Placid, Deep Rising, pretty much all Hollywood films now.
Anyway I am not trying to pretend like I am Billy Graham's son or something. I have been accused of that before on other forums. I will try to tone it down.
In the same vein

Seems like most of the supposed contradictions are based in treating "Hollywood" as a singular entity. Not only across lots of otherwise different people, but even across time! Therefore complaining about racism today is somehow undermined by the fact that racists movies were made a century ago.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense, as far as I can see, and I say that as someone who thinks very little of Hollywood's cultural sensibilities (or penchant for cultural lecturing).

It's funny! It's like Hollywood people and that system has a illness and the cure for the illness (for them) was duping us. And Donald Trump has come and stopped that cure. And now people don't want to know about the idiots in Hollywood anymore. I know we are going on a different topic now, but I just have to get that off of my chest.
The Lake Placid Weirdness still lingers around. Lurking, says Susan Page. Well YNW you have seen all of the Sharknado movies?
Then on the View, Joy Behar says, We aren't going to talk about Trump today. But sleezeballs who cheat on their wife. (Doh!)
Yeah I mean after 9/11 Hollywood should have taken two years away from making films. Because now it is like what. I actually read some article by Ron Howard and he seems to not even know what is going on. It's a bumbling boobs industry. He misses the days of cocoon. Kinda of reminds me of that episode of MASH where father Mulcahy says that he doesn't know what the good is of his profession (being a minister.) Like he never sees the result of any of his work. He doesn't even know if he is doing anything — other than stand around. I mean..
I am pretty sure we are going to see a time when Hollywood producers and actors start showing up randomly to schools and start standing on their heads and stuff just to try to get publicity. And people are going to protest and tell them to go back home to Hollywood or freakville.
Hate thy neighbor is not a good philosophy.

P.S. Yoda did you know that some guy (an ex-marine actually) named Eric Welsh officially changed his name to Darth Vader. Yoda I think you get a hint of what I am talking about.

I like turtles!

Maybe someone should make a movie about a giant turtle instead of a giant alligator? Oh wait, Japan already did that! (Still waiting for a Godzilla vs Gamera movie!)

The Lake Placid weirdness phenomenon has some years left (maybe.) But that's with people keeping their fingers crossed. And praying that they don't make another sharknado movie.
Who is Alyssa Milano, says Colonel Allen West. I don't know.
We need to boycott sex, says Alyssa Milano. What kind of dumb Italians are being bred now. Brocolli. Hmm..I'll take some Panko Parmeson green beans. The Novacane bit, says Carrol Burnett.
Oh and George has 80,000 jobs that are connected with the "Georgia Film industry." Try bold faced lie there! You mean maybe 80,000 people who go to Aaron's Rend to Own store and ask to watch a movie in there and then throw hot dogs at the TV?

Man of Steele you don't need to see Godzilla. Just watch Stone Cold. Where Brian Bosworth is kissing and making out with his pet water monitor. Water Monitors. Water Moccassins. Whatever, fine, says Meghan McCain.
Well YNWF some people believe that the more that something costs, the less deranged it is. Maybe that's why we have movies that cost in the hundreds of millions of dollars while GAP stores are closing down. (I used to love the store the GAP, and their commercials were spunky.) Spunky is not good enough these days. Be favorable toward the ice berg, says Kristen Soltis Anderson. Economy of their bodies, says Alyssa Milano. NWO owned Alyssa Milano. It actually is a mass orchestrated conspiracy. Look at the crap that Alyssa Milano is saying. Basically she is advocating for genocide and saying to women to boycott sex. What else do you call that? Next it will be to boycott a person's right to live unless they have a microchip. Just another dago.
We wish it was the good old days (I guess) to see the bumbling ensign in McCales navy. It has always been. Try junk bonds. Besides the movies what else do they give us to look forward to. Scandals? Isn't there a murder investigation going on now with Ashton Kutcher?
I think the batfish is awesome. You don't need to do anything! (It's underwater right now in Oklahoma. Put some of the boycotters on it. And hey show us!
You know you can't even get served at a restaurant these days, meaning the workers don't want to work, unless you are dressed up as something stupid like a Klingon from Star Trek. Then they are coming out with the giant plates of food. Perverted. No I mean it is a conspiracy. De-personalized? We are talking about getting food at a restaurant (can't happen unless you dress up as a Klingon.) We are talking about new dark age beastman Leonardo DeCaprio talking about climate change is “real” at the academy awards.
But your interpretation of that would be, I am loco, you can't be any more personal and shiek and social than a Klingon. The boycotting Hollywood people are getting pretty gross. A piñata full of ignorant people. Schlock? Can't you just sum up the meaning of all of these words into one. Drugs. Jade Helm 15. Foolish dialogue.
Gross is cool? I will be willing to concede to a Klingon now and then. People may be star trek fans. But I am not going to worship a Klingon in spirit like Candice Bergan. Who can act and cook a turkey. Woo hoo. She looks like crocodile. Alyssa Milano looks like a crocodile. Perverted people.
Read the Last of the Mohicans. Don't watch the movie. Well watch the movie too. But no comparison.