Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Joker

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

The Missouri Breaks (1976)

-

I watch this for the upcoming westerns list because it's on the current westerns list. Director Arthur Penn has made some great movies. This isn't one of them; I found it a little off as it's got an inconsistent tone. It does have Jack Nicholson and a very hammy Marlon Brando. Those two, especially when they share the screen, make the movie quite a bit of fun. Nice supporting cast including Harry Dean Stanton and Randy Quaid.

Intolerance (1916) by D.W. Griffith
+

The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985) by Woody Allen
+

Valhalla (2019) by Fenar Ahmad

El Verdugo (The Executioner) (1963) by Luis García Berlanga
+

Foolish Wives (1922) by Eric von Stroheim

The trick is not minding
A few films this past week.

Back to the Future (comedy HOF) 3 1/2 *’s

Goodbye, Columbus (1969) 3 1/2

Freddy vs Jason 1 1/2
(Was in the mood for a horror film)

Streamers (1983) 3 1/2
Was torn on the rating on this one, as it was around a solid 3 stars but the last 30 mins are very intense and well acted (at times anyways)
Probably letting the last 30 mins influence the rating more then I should.

The Dark Valley (2014)

An Austrian western set somewhere in the Alps. Visually the film owes a lot to The Great Silence (not just the snowy mountain area but also the costumes). It's very beautifully shot (just a couple mishaps) revenge story that isn't original at all but does its job well enough (just like with cinematography there are few weak points in the script). Music choices were rather odd and didn't fit (I mean the actual songs, otherwise soundtrack was fine). An easy recommendation for the fans of serious spaghetti westerns (even though it's kraut western).

The Proposition (2005)

A meat pie western written by Nick Cave. It captures the heat and dirt so well that you can almost smell the sweat (or maybe I just have to change my shirt). It's bleak and brutal yet beautiful. Really great soundtrack too (mostly just variations of two songs). Maybe minor issues with pacing but as a whole very good.

Ruben Östlund - 2017

Saw it last night, I had it on my to-watch-list for some time now. I have to watch it again because this is not an easy movie to assimilate (I shouldn't even rate it), and part of my attempt to understand it, is writing about it. I could talk about the significance of every scene, the author wants you to see it, he doesn't wanna tell you, and that doesn't happen often nowadays. I'll talk about my favorite one, the human ape scene. I'll not even start with Terry Notary performance, is magnificent. Some of what I saw in the film Taxi Driver "all kings man cannot put it back together again" is in this scene, but the difference is the artistic level, is remarkable what Ruben did, remarkable. What if we forgot every convention, even language that allowed us to create myths, like money, just the pure instinct and basic emotions, no social hierarchies based on myths and conventions, this is the significance of this scene. What would be like to strip the "powerful" from the illusions of power they've created based on money, reputation, knowledge? I'm completely in love with this scene, is magnificent, first we saw there sarcasm, they thought he couldn't touch them because that's just a show in the territory they own, there sense of superiority so creased, and then, the silence, the respect, the understanding they're nothing stripped of there illusions in the world of primordial nature. This is something I've been contemplating for years, and now seeing it displayed so magnificently, is great, but than again, what we see in front of us is how we fell inside our head, maybe this is what I want to see, and I don't mind.

Re-watches

FLASHDANCE
(1983)

The nostalgia factor and the great soundtrack earned this classic the rating I'm giving it.

SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER
(1977)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Ég man þig [I Remember You] (Óskar Thór Axelsson, 2017)

Supernaturally ordinary

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

3022 (John Suits, 2019)
What would you do if you are on a 10-year mission in space and you find the Earth destroyed before your very eyes? The answer may lie in this film, which features Omar Epps as a mentally-stricken team leader who sees this happen and a fight for survival begins. And there are many twists and turns, which a bit of a shock in the film's 3rd act that explains a lot in terms of survival when some of his team goes missing after receiving a signal after the destruction of Earth.

Hydra (Kensuke Sonomura, 2019)
Sonomura, a veteran Japanese stuntmaster, makes his directorial debut on this film of Takashi, an assassin for the Tokyo Life Group who wants out of the game and makes a promise to protect an old friend's daughter while working at a local bar. When he discovers a notorious Yakuza underworld is set to be unleashed, he must go into action one more time when the girl he was asked to protect finds herself kidnapped. Some nice twists in the story, but the action is nothing short of amazing, mainly consisting of knife fights and close quarter combat that is fast and blistering. This is the kind of choreography that would make Scott Adkins (and any MA fan) proud to watch.

Usual Michael Moore fare. Not bad.

Excellent cast, but a very lightweight movie. Almost bailed out, but made it through.

Requiem for a Dream (2000)

This was a much stranger movie than I expected. It was enthralling, yet its not something I'd watch again anytime soon. Acting was exceptional by all parties though.