Wes Anderson

Tools    

Do you know my poetry?
Wes Anderson, probably the most unique and the most talented of new directors from the past decade. I started this thread to see what everyone thinks of Anderson as a director, and his films. If you would like to rank them, go ahead, that's what I'll be doing.

1. Rushmore (1998)
Wes Anderson funniest and most unique film to date. He and Owen Wilson I believe wrote a perfect film, and I have to say Jason Schwarztman truly gave a performance to remember. It remains one of my favorite comedies of all time, the "Oh, are they?" joke never gets old.

2. The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
Anderson's most thoughtful film, you really care about the characters and their lives. This has one of the best ensemble cast of the past few years, and Anderson never fails at developing each characters tale, he does everything just right.

3. Bottle Rocket (1996)
I did like this film quite a bit, but I do have to say it didn't match up to the unique storytelling that the other two had. But I did find it very funny, Owen Wilson as "Dignan" always got a laugh out of me. Not a great film, but nevertheless, a great start for Anderson's career.

I would also like to know what everyone thinks of the trailer for The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. I loved the trailer, can't stop watching it. I think the film looks to be great, but I don't think it will compare to Rushmore or Tenenbaums.

Thoughts?

As i have only seen RUSHMORE I don't have much to say, I did love it, It was very funny, must move my and watch the others

Rushmore is good, but I think I liked the Royal Tenenbaums a little better.

I'm VERY MUCH looking forward to The Life Aquatic. It's the only holiday film worth seeing IMHO.

baptism in a dunking booth
wes is such a charming filmmaker

I think Wes Anderson, speaking visually, the best young director out there. His movies have such style to them, with the colors and camera moves. I also thought the Life Aquatic was great, althoguh many people trashed it. Royal Tenenbaums is still my favorite by him, though.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Yep, Wes Anderson is cool. Really like The Royal Tenenbaums, Gene Hackman is brilliant, Bottle rocket was O.k, preferred Rushmore. Can't wait to see the Life Aquatic, there is always so much going on in W.A's movies, it can take 2-3 watches before you spot things. My friend Don gave me a part in his movie, just so I could say the line " Don't get nasty brother. "(Rushmore) Guess he thought us Scotsmen all sounded the same.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I just don't get the "humor."
It doesn't come across as funny to me.
Now I like Larry the cable guy and Bill Engvall, I think they're hillarious!

HAHA...total lie, I like George carlin, David cross, Zach Galifinakis, and Patton Oswalt.
Still don't get Wes Anderson though.

I just seen bottlerocket, and I loved it.
I thought it was hilarious how his brother pushed him around!
A good movie about a bunch of wannabe criminal f**k-ups!
I still don't care for the Royal Tenanbaums though, just me, I guess.

some customers may get their dicks ripped off
Anderson is one of my favorite directors. I've loved all his movies to date plus he always picks a fantastic cast to get the job done. The Royal Tenenbaums would have to be my favorite with The Life Aquatic at a close second.

Wes Anderson's Next Film

When Wes Anderson is ready to make a movie, talent comes running. I'm told that Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand and Tilda Swinton are all in talks to star in Moon Rise Kingdom, a script that Anderson wrote with Roman Coppola and which Anderson will direct late next spring. Scott Rudin is producing with Anderson. Indian Paintbrush, the financier/production company bankrolled by billionaire Steven Rales, is in early conversations to fund the film and come aboard as producer. Rales, who recently installed Rudin's longtime president Mark Roybal to run the company and step up its output of auteur-driven prestige films, has a strong relationship with Anderson. Rales was involved as a producer in Anderson's The Fantastic Mr. Fox as well as The Darjeeling Limited. Both films were produced by Rudin.

Moon Rise Kingdom is set in the 60s. Two young adults fall in love and run away. Leaders in their New England town are sticking the idea that they've disappeared and go in search of them. Norton will play a scout leader who brings his charges on a search. Willis is in talks to play the town sheriff who’s also looking, and who is having an affair with the missing girl’s mother, the role McDormand is in talks to play. Murray, a regular in Anderson films, will play the girl's father, who has his own issues.

I don't like Wes Anderson. Haven't seen one movie of his that wasn't below average or just plain bad.

Fantastic Mr. Fox

The Darjeeling Limited

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

The Royal Tenenbaums

Rushmore

Bottle Rocket

I don't like Wes Anderson. Haven't seen one movie of his that wasn't below average or just plain bad.
Care to explain, or do you want to leave it at the usual blank statement? I really would be curious to know why you thought any were "just plain bad". I mean, I know Wes isn't everyone's cup of tea, but usually an explanation is cool...

Disney just signed David Fincher to direct 20,000 Leagues under the sea.
As much as I love Fincher, I am sure he'll make a predictable adaptation..

I would have loved to see what Wes Anderson would have done with it.
Maybe, I feel that way just out of curiosity.

Care to explain
No, he would not.

I mean, I know Wes isn't everyone's cup of tea, but usually an explanation is cool...
The funny thing is, if Wes Anderson actually came out with his own brand of tea, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

Disney just signed David Fincher to direct 20,000 Leagues under the sea.
As much as I love Fincher, I am sure he'll make a predictable adaptation..

I would have loved to see what Wes Anderson would have done with it.
It'd probably be something like this:

Fantastic Mr. Fox

The Darjeeling Limited

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

The Royal Tenenbaums

Rushmore

Bottle Rocket
High praise for Darjeeling is unusual, I think. I too thought it was quite good.

Here's my hierarchy thingy.

1) The Royal Tenenbaums
2) The Darjeeling Limited
3) The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
4) Bottle Rocket
5) Rushmore
6) Fantastic Mr. Fox

Just based on a "what I would most like to watch right now" mentality. The Royal Tenenbaums is just a really rich, decently funny, decently dramatic, beautifully shot film. I think that's what I give him the most praise for overall, and Life Aquatic is probably his masterpiece in that regard. I only praise Bottle Rocket over Rushmore, because a friend of mine wrote an essay which I read on its structure, which is really, really unique. I guess Fox didn't click for me as a whole, even though I really liked it. The scores go up from about a 7.5 for Fox to probably a 10 for Tenenbaums.

Whatever.