Help me with Foreign (Non-English) Movie Recommendations

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
But I should warn you that I'm an easy crier at movies, so no promises about not crying at the end.
Do you mind listing some films that made you cry?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

This is another one I liked - Vacuum (2017) - (German) about a woman who contracts an STD from her husband who was unfaithful to her. Very good movie.

This one is a pretty good film - high rated on IMDb. (Russian).
About a building which is ready to collapse and the corrupt authorities who are trying to cover their guilt of not doing anything....
The Fool (2014)

I forgot the opening line.
Rams (2015) - Iceland - This was one of the best foreign language movies I've ever seen. About two brothers who are neighbours, but virtually at war with each other. They raise sheep, but when a nasty disease threatens to steal all they love things become interesting. Remade in English in 2020 with Sam Neill and Michael Caton - but the original is so good I could never watch this version.

Burning (2018) - South Korea - There's a little bit of sex, but not much. There's a bit of violence, but not much. It's a little long...but not too much. I love this film. Obsession. Mystery. Realism. This is my go-to when people ask me about foreign films, because I love it and bought it the day after first seeing it.

Amour (2012) - France - I see this has been recommended a couple of times already. I'll add my voice to the chorus. Such a sad film - but such a beautiful film.

Jules and Jim (1962) - France - One of the greatest films about friendship. Not exactly seat of your pants Hollywood fare, but touching and thought-provoking.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo/The Girl Who Played With Fire/The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (2009) - Sweden - Pushing your dislike of violence here a little bit with these three thrillers. And they're long. But they're really exciting.

Wild Strawberries (1957) - Sweden - Really touching Ingmar Bergman film about a professor going on a literal journey which turns out to be a journey into his past.

Tokyo Story (1953) - Japan - There's something universal about our parents getting older and the changes that follow with our relationship with them.

13 Minutes (2015) - Germany - A true story about the man who nearly succeeded in assassinating Adolf Hitler at the opening stages of WWII. Mostly about his life and how he comes to the point of doing what he does - but there are a few brief scenes of torture so beware.

Edit - I forgot two really good ones :

Loveless (2017) - Russia - There's not much happiness here, as the title implies, but this is a really top rate film.

Custody (2017) - France - True to life, and really seat-of-your-pants stuff in an emotional and physical time in parts. I really recommend you see this film.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Serious Men (2020) You should find this interesting too. (Indian).
I assure you it is not a Bollywood type of movie
About a guy who makes his own child to learn things by heart and pretend in front of everyone that his son is a genius.
A pretty good movie !

I don't watch a lot of recent/current movies, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to find this movie, but it sounds like it could be interesting, so I'll watch it, if I can find it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

@Takoma11,
I watched Polytechnique (2009), but I found this movie on Tubi-TV, but it's in English, so I'm not sure if it's eligible for the Foreign Language Countdown.
That's weird--I could have sworn I remembered it being in French! Sorry for not double checking!
According to the Trivia page on IMDB, this movie was filmed simultaneously in English and French, so I think there are actually two versions of this movie. I found the English version, but I couldn't find the French version.

But I should warn you that I'm an easy crier at movies, so no promises about not crying at the end.
Do you mind listing some films that made you cry?

I cry for both happy scenes and sad scenes, so it would probably be easier to list the movies that didn't make me cry.

But these are some of the movies that did make me cry:
The Champ (1979)
Hachi: A Dog's Tale (2009)
P.S. I Love You (2007)
Return to Me (2000)
The Notebook (2004)
Message in a Bottle (1999)
A Walk to Remember (2002)
Always (1989)
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
Ghost (1990)
Dead Poets Society (1989)
While You Were Sleeping (1995)
You've Got Mail (1998)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
Bang the Drum Slowly (1973)
Brian's Song (1971)
8 Seconds (1994)
Pure Country (1992)
The Jazz Singer (1980)
Bambi (1942)
The Iron Giant (1999)
An Affair to Remember (1957) (I even cried watching the scene in Sleepless in Seattle (1993) when she was talking about the final scene in An Affair to Remember.)

This is another one I liked - Vacuum (2017) - (German) about a woman who contracts an STD from her husband who was unfaithful to her. Very good movie.
This one is a pretty good film - high rated on IMDb. (Russian).
About a building which is ready to collapse and the corrupt authorities who are trying to cover their guilt of not doing anything....
The Fool (2014)

These are two more movies that I haven't heard of, but I'll check these out too.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Rams (2015) - Iceland - This was one of the best foreign language movies I've ever seen. About two brothers who are neighbours, but virtually at war with each other. They raise sheep, but when a nasty disease threatens to steal all they love things become interesting. Remade in English in 2020 with Sam Neill and Michael Caton - but the original is so good I could never watch this version.

Burning (2018) - South Korea - There's a little bit of sex, but not much. There's a bit of violence, but not much. It's a little long...but not too much. I love this film. Obsession. Mystery. Realism. This is my go-to when people ask me about foreign films, because I love it and bought it the day after first seeing it.

Amour (2012) - France - I see this has been recommended a couple of times already. I'll add my voice to the chorus. Such a sad film - but such a beautiful film.

Jules and Jim (1962) - France - One of the greatest films about friendship. Not exactly seat of your pants Hollywood fare, but touching and thought-provoking.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo/The Girl Who Played With Fire/The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (2009) - Sweden - Pushing your dislike of violence here a little bit with these three thrillers. And they're long. But they're really exciting.

Wild Strawberries (1957) - Sweden - Really touching Ingmar Bergman film about a professor going on a literal journey which turns out to be a journey into his past.

Tokyo Story (1953) - Japan - There's something universal about our parents getting older and the changes that follow with our relationship with them.

13 Minutes (2015) - Germany - A true story about the man who nearly succeeded in assassinating Adolf Hitler at the opening stages of WWII. Mostly about his life and how he comes to the point of doing what he does - but there are a few brief scenes of torture so beware.

Edit - I forgot two really good ones :

Loveless (2017) - Russia - There's not much happiness here, as the title implies, but this is a really top rate film.

Custody (2017) - France - True to life, and really seat-of-your-pants stuff in an emotional and physical time in parts. I really recommend you see this film.

I've seen Wild Strawberries (1957) and Tokyo Story (1953), but it's been a while, so they're already on my watchlist to rewatch them for the countdown.

I've heard that Amour (2012) is a difficult watch, but I'm going to try to watch it anyway because I've heard that it's a very good movie.

I've seen the English version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, but it was too violent for me, so I didn't care much for it, so I'm not sure if those movies are my type of movies, but I'll consider giving them I try if I have time before the countdown.

I haven't seen Jules and Jim (1962) , but I've heard that it is a very good movie, so it's already on my watchlist for the countdown.

I haven't heard of the other movies that you mentioned, but they sound interesting, (especially Custody (2017)), so I added them to my watchlist.

Thanks for the recommendations.

According to the Trivia page on IMDB, this movie was filmed simultaneously in English and French, so I think there are actually two versions of this movie. I found the English version, but I couldn't find the French version.
Okay. Makes sense.

Every now and then my brain plays that trick on me--I remember a film being in one language, but it's in another. (Though usually it's the other way around--I remember a film being English-language but it isn't).

GBG, we have similar taste in movies, especially the 'don't like stuff'. So I've went through my old Foreign Language list and found films that I really think are right up your alley, I'd rate all of these
or better

Le Trou (Jacques Becker 1960) A prison break film where you can match logic and wits with the prisoners who come up with all sorts of ingenious methods to avoid detection as they tunnel their way out of their cell.[b]
I'm not going to be much help but I can second a few of the movie that have been mentioned:

Le Trou is very good so is Rififi. They're kind of similar. If you like one of them I can't imagine you wouldn't like the other.

@Citizen Rules and @Hey Fredrick,
I watched Le Trou (1960) (aka The Hole). I liked this movie more than A Man Escaped because the latter movie seemed almost like a documentary about how to escape from prison, while this movie was more like I was watching them plan their escape.

I don't really understand why the guards didn't hear them while they were making all those banging noises, especially while they were in their cell, even though I heard them mention that the noise would actually help them. (I still don't know why they thought the noise would help them.)

WARNING: "Possible SPOILERS about the ENDING of "Le Trou"!!!" spoilers below
I never really had a good feeling about trusting Gaspard, mainly because he was too polite to be a prisoner, and he dressed too well to be a prisoner. He just didn't seem to fit in with the other prisoners. At the end, he faced a very difficult decision. If the charges aren't dropped, he could face years in prison, but if they are dropped, he could be a free man. Should he go with the other prisoners in their escape attempt, or not? Should he turn them in, or not? Either decision could easily be the wrong one.

I'm still not sure if Gaspard was intentionally put in that cell as a "plant" to find out information about the escape attempt, or if it was just a coincidence that he was put in there, and he just made his decision in the end based on his situation. Either way, it was a great ending.

All Koreeda's fims are worth seeing. 'Nobody Knows' is probably the best I've seen. But 'I Wish' and 'Like Father, Like Son' are also up there. And 'Maborosi' too.

@ScarletLion,
I watched Nobody Knows (2004). This was such a sad film. I didn't know that it was based on a real child abandonment case until I read about the movie after I watched it.

At first, the mother seemed like a good mother, and when she came back after the first time she left, I kind of gave her the benefit of the doubt that she was really just working, and she would come back for the kids. But I wasn't sure about that because she made a comment that was something like "Don't I deserve to be happy?". That made me wonder if she was going to leave them. (I kind of hate that I was right.)

WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "Nobody Knows"!!!" spoilers below
I expected something bad to happen to the kids, but I never expected the young girl to die from falling off the chair. I figured that either the kids would die in a fire, (or some similar tragedy), because nobody knew they were there, so nobody tried to save them, or when they started to get careless about hiding themselves, I thought maybe they would be discovered, and either kicked out onto the streets, or separated into different youth homes.

Near the end, when they finally received money from their mother, I thought that maybe she would come back for them, but I guess not. (Part of me wanted to see her expression when she came home to find out that her youngest child had died. She should have to live with knowing what she caused, but she just gets away with it because she doesn't even know what happened.)

This isn't the type of movie that I can say that I enjoyed, but it's a great movie. Thank you for the recommendation.

@ScarletLion,
I watched Nobody Knows (2004). This was such a sad film. I didn't know that it was based on a real child abandonment case until I read about the movie after I watched it.

At first, the mother seemed like a good mother, and when she came back after the first time she left, I kind of gave her the benefit of the doubt that she was really just working, and she would come back for the kids. But I wasn't sure about that because she made a comment that was something like "Don't I deserve to be happy?". That made me wonder if she was going to leave them. (I kind of hate that I was right.)

WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "Nobody Knows"!!!" spoilers below
I expected something bad to happen to the kids, but I never expected the young girl to die from falling off the chair. I figured that either the kids would die in a fire, (or some similar tragedy), because nobody knew they were there, so nobody tried to save them, or when they started to get careless about hiding themselves, I thought maybe they would be discovered, and either kicked out onto the streets, or separated into different youth homes.

Near the end, when they finally received money from their mother, I thought that maybe she would come back for them, but I guess not. (Part of me wanted to see her expression when she came home to find out that her youngest child had died. She should have to live with knowing what she caused, but she just gets away with it because she doesn't even know what happened.)

This isn't the type of movie that I can say that I enjoyed, but it's a great movie. Thank you for the recommendation.
No worries. Glad you enjoyed it. You might enjoy 'I Wish' which is a little more upbeat from Koreeda. How he continues to get these performances from young cast members (often non actors) boggles the mind.

I have recently watched Mucize 2015 excellent tear-jerker movie.

This is another movie that I haven't heard of, but it sounds like it might be my type of movie. (And I think I found it on YouTube. )

No worries. Glad you enjoyed it. You might enjoy 'I Wish' which is a little more upbeat from Koreeda. How he continues to get these performances from young cast members (often non actors) boggles the mind.

Several of the movies that I watched recently focused on the young actors, and I've been very impressed with most of their talent.

I'll try to watch I Wish too. I've watched a few downbeat movies in the past week, so I'm looking forward to an upbeat movie.

I could recommend a few more which I've seen recently

The Hedgehog (2009)

@nidral,
I watched The Hedgehog (2009) I liked this movie a lot. It's a very somber movie, but it has moments that really brighten up the screen.

WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "The Hedgehog"!!!" spoilers below
I didn't think that I was getting attached to the characters, but when Mrs. Michel got hit by the van, I was surprised to realize how much I liked her when I began to tear up and cry for her.

I loved the relationship between Renée and Mr. Ozu, and while I was sad to see Renée die, I liked how their relationship changed Paloma's life. They showed her a better side of people exists, and that some people are better than the people that she grew up with.

The only issue that I had with this movie was that I never got the feeling that this was a luxury building. The only one who looked like he was rich was Mr. Ozu. He had a beautiful apartment, but Paloma's apartment just seemed very average to me.

Seun (Darrell Roodt, 2014) (Afrikaans) - A young man just returning home from school only has a few weeks before he must enlist in the Army during the Angolan Border War. When during a mission, he sacrifices himself to save another soldier, he is paralyzed from the neck down, forcing a conflict between his parents. Very emotional and powerful IMO.

@WorldFilmGeek,
I watched Seun: 81457397BG (2014). I wasn't sure if I should watch this movie because I don't usually like war movies, but this sounded like it might be more about the person than the war, so I gave it a chance, and I'm glad that I did. This turned out to be a very good movie.

WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "Seun: 81457397BG"!!!" spoilers below
I really liked Paul and his family right from the beginning of the movie, but for some reason, it took me a while to feel any emotion for them after he got injured. But when his girlfriend gave him back his ring, it brought me to tears, and they continued through most of the second half of the movie.

I was expecting Paul to ask someone to help him die, and I felt so bad for his father when he had to make that decision. But I'm glad that the movie didn't end there, and it turned out to be a more optimistic ending.

It's a story told more from the girl's perspective, but my favorite character in the film was the character played by Josiane Balasko - Renée Michel - the concierge.
It was quite an easy and pleasant film to watch.

@nidral,
I watched The Hedgehog (2009) I liked this movie a lot. It's a very somber movie, but it has moments that really brighten up the screen.

WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "The Hedgehog"!!!" spoilers below
I didn't think that I was getting attached to the characters, but when Mrs. Michel got hit by the van, I was surprised to realize how much I liked her when I began to tear up and cry for her.

I loved the relationship between Renée and Mr. Ozu, and while I was sad to see Renée die, I liked how their relationship changed Paloma's life. They showed her a better side of people exists, and that some people are better than the people that she grew up with.

The only issue that I had with this movie was that I never got the feeling that this was a luxury building. The only one who looked like he was rich was Mr. Ozu. He had a beautiful apartment, but Paloma's apartment just seemed very average to me.