Sequels That Should Never Have Been Made

Tools    

Pretty new here, so if this thread already exists feel free to delete it!

Post any sort of sequel here that seemed absolutely unnecessary, you can also include prequels.

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 - this movie completely destroyed everything that the original movie stood for. It went from the bare minimal for the maximum effect, to the maximum effort with minimal effect.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Hilarious! I re-watched Blair Witch 2 about a week or so ago for the first time in yeeeears. It is an absolute clusterfvck, and has some of the cheesiest acting ever put to film. Not to mention the whole "horror" aspect of the film is as thin as a veneer, and the character tropes are just awful. Throw in a setting that is appropriate but feels like I've seen it a dozen times before, a bunch of really bad hallucination scenes and it's a recipe for failure, that will feed an entire tribe.

Pretty new here, so if this thread already exists feel free to delete it!

Post any sort of sequel here that seemed absolutely unnecessary, you can also include prequels.

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 - this movie completely destroyed everything that the original movie stood for. It went from the bare minimal for the maximum effect, to the maximum effort with minimal effect.
I never saw that one but I can see why it was pointless.

I would say Aliens. No matter how excellent Aliens is to this day, it was virtually a different genre of film to Alien, which remains the very best film in the series. I think it succeeded because it would have been impossible to make lightning strike twice and so they had to change the foundation, making it an action horror film instead of a thriller.

Highlander II was bad. Highlander of course was the end of something, so it was difficult to progress from a final act. Again the genre of the film was modified to do that, turning it into dystopian science fiction. Highlander III would have been the preferable way to continue the idea but that also had its problems.

I would say Aliens. No matter how excellent Aliens is to this day, it was virtually a different genre of film to Alien, which remains the very best film in the series. I think it succeeded because it would have been impossible to make lightning strike twice and so they had to change the foundation, making it an action horror film instead of a thriller.
That's quite interesting considering it's seen as one of the more popular sequels. Would you say you'd have preferred it to be a spin-off as it wasn't worthy of the franchise name? Or not made altogether?

That's quite interesting considering it's seen as one of the more popular sequels. Would you say you'd have preferred it to be a spin-off as it wasn't worthy of the franchise name? Or not made altogether?
I think Alien would be more powerful if Aliens hadn't been made because the way the Aliens' life cycle was changed made them less alien and more like a generic monster. They became less and less frightening the more like animals they became (although the redesigned creature in Alien 3 was hellish and effective in close-up).

I wouldn't dream of saying it was unworthy or that it shouldn't have been made, just that certain choices pushed it away from what kind of film Alien was. It would be interesting to see what Ridley Scott would have done with a sequel I think.

I have to return some videotapes...
The definitive answer to this question is Paul Blart 2... simply one of the worst movies ever made.

Smokey And The Bandit II. One of the first that showed the world sequels might not be a good idea.

The Blooper reel at the end was better

Welcome to the human race...
Well, I guess if you're going to specify "never should have been made" as opposed to simply "worst", then I nominate Terminator Genisys and possibly Crystal Skull because, while not necessarily the worst sequels I've ever seen, they definitely don't need to exist.

The definitive answer to this question is Paul Blart 2... simply one of the worst movies ever made.
Number should also have never been made.

Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977)
Couldn't agree more, top ten worst movie for me. The ending to The Exorcist was so perfect there was absolutely no reason to revisit Regan. Love Exorcist 3 though.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
I think Alien would be more powerful if Aliens hadn't been made because the way the Aliens' life cycle was changed made them less alien and more like a generic monster. They became less and less frightening the more like animals they became (although the redesigned creature in Alien 3 was hellish and effective in close-up).

I wouldn't dream of saying it was unworthy or that it shouldn't have been made, just that certain choices pushed it away from what kind of film Alien was. It would be interesting to see what Ridley Scott would have done with a sequel I think.
I think that what happens in Aliens made the Xenomorphs all the more horrifying in the first Alien, showing that these things are able to take down trained and armed marines, thus, making the idea that not properly armed space truckers even less likely to survive the situation.