The DexterRiley 100 overlooked and underplayed Tunes

Tools    

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Heya Mofo's ! This here is a thread idea i've been mullen over for awhile. This list is a collection of songs that In my opinion were either overlooked when released or largely forgotten through the sands of time.

Before there was Sattelite Radio, Before there were mp3's there was the venerable mixed tape.

The following somewhat loose ranking of the 100 tunes may bring back memories for some, while be a first listen for others. In some cases they are one hit wonders, in others they are by established well known bands but appeared on earlier albums.

A good number of them may have been popular back in the day, but are just never heard on the radio. For the most part teh 60's, 70's and 80's will dominate.

One caveat, this thread is for the songs themselves, I concede many of the videos may either be fan made or downright cheesy. When possible a live rendition will be chosen.

anyways..enkoy..!

Boulevard- Never Give Up (1988)

Boulevard was a short-lived band that came out of nowhere during the Gold-rush of much-music (Canada's MTV equiv) early days.

Eye Eye- Out on a Limb (1986)

Strange Advance- We Run (1985)

Fludd- Cousin Mary (1972)

Badfinger- Baby Blue (1971)

&feature=related

Billy Joel- I don't want to be alone (1980)

I got Glass Houses the album for my birthday that year, played side one till the grooves fell off, as the "hits" were all there.
&feature=related

The Arrows- Meet me in the Middle (1984)

These guys were a huge draw on the Bar Circuit when i was growing up outside of Toronto. Got some airplay at the time sporadically.

London Quireboys- its 7:O'clock- (1989)

If you like the sound of the Faces or early Rod Stewart before he went Disco, this tune is for you

&feature=related

Donnie Iris - Ah Leah (1980)

Neat thing bout this next one ( and a few more yet to appear), I had never heard it before, about 15 years ago I went on a Cassette tape buying spree when CD's took over, I still had a tape deck in both my car and Truck and so was easy to take a flyer on unknown bands and compilations for 25 cents at garage sales and such.

The Outsiders- Time Won't Let Me (1966)

The Tubes- Out of the Business (1982)

The Previous album, the complete backward principle was huge, but for whatever reason when the followup was released, "She's A Beauty" was the only track to get action.

Harlequin- Innocence (1980)

Reo Speedwagonish with a dash of Journey

Yes Winter, its Radio play that i refer to in terms of overlooked and underplayed.

One of my greatest pet peeves is "classic rock" stations are for the most part now part of a giant chain, at least here in Canada, so the playlist varies little from coast to coast.

90. KISS- Plaster Caster (1977)

91. Montrose- Bad Motor Scooter (1973)

A young Sammy Hagar on Vocals

90. Elton John- Skyline Pidgeon (1969)

89. Phil Collins- Don't let him steal your heart away (1982)

&feature=related

88. Break it Up- Foreigner (1982)

&feature=related

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Nice idea mate, im going to have fun looking through these songs to see if there are any I wouldnt mind getting

87. Cat Stevens- Where do the Children Play (1970)

&feature=related

86. The Cult- The Rain (1985)

&feature=related

85. The Doors- Peace Frog (1970)

84. Bryan Adams- Diana (1984)

83. Idle Eyes- All Day (1985)

82. Neil Young- Journey Through the Past (1971)

A system of cells interlinked
I tried man, I really did.

Our tastes just run too differently, I am afraid.

Ok I lied - I like the Donnie Ivory track

Hey, you remember Saga?

Of Course Seds..do you not remember we both posted Saga tunes at the same time in the what are you listenen at Mofo thread.

Dont worry my good man they will make the list. We have barely "scratching the surface"

81. GTR- When the Heart Rules the Mind (1986)

80. Helix- Deep Cuts the Knife (1985)

79. ZZ Top- Pearl Necklace ( 1981)

78. Goo Goo Dolls- Long Way Down (1995)

&feature=fvsr

Easily one of the Best Acts to see Live ( 9 or 10 times, i can't remember), Former Frontman for Max webster,

77. Feel it Burn- 1984

A system of cells interlinked
Of Course Seds..do you not remember we both posted Saga tunes at the same time in the what are you listenen at Mofo thread.

Dont worry my good man they will make the list. We have barely "scratching the surface"
I do remember, but for some reason I thought that was another MoFo! That's right, it was you after all...

I do have a soft spot for music of this nature, I guess....

Happy New Year from Philly!
I like the Donnie Ivory tune too.

The London Quireboys seem like a nice little blues band posing as a hair metal band.

God, the eighties are hilarious. The hair, the clothes, the lighter than air attitude.

When i was growing up, "oldies radio" was the 50's and early 60's It seems the only time you hear these sorts of songs is if they are covered by a mainstream act. Part of getten older i guess.

76. Sir Douglas Quintet- She's about a Mover (1965)

&feature=fvst

75. Beau Brummels- Laugh Laugh (1964)

I searched for this song for years. the band appeared in an episode of the Flinstones as Beau Brummelstone.

74. The Zombies- She's not There (1965)

73. Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders- Game of Love (1965)
Neat Clip features the boys at one of their breakout opportunities.
New Musical Express Poll Winners concert (1965) This is another gem that i didn't discover
until the great bargain bin cassette bonanza.

72. The Delphonics- Didn't I blow your mind (1971)

This one was revived thanks to its use in Tarantino's Jackie Brown

&feature=related

This post, I'll specifically adress a major peeve of mine. Each of the Bands showcased here have a ton of excellent material to draw from, yet a handful of tunes are played, re-played, played again then played some more.

Prime Example

While Stairway to Heaven, Black Dog and Rock and Roll are on perma-loop, gems go un-noticed.
71. Led Zeppelin - Going to California (1971)

The song is reportedly about singer/songwriter Joni Mitchell, with whom Plant and Page were both infatuated. In live performances of the song, Plant would often say the name "Joni" after this stanza (which is thought to have referenced Mitchell's 1967 composition "I Had a King"): To find a Queen without a King, they say she plays guitar and cries, and sings"

70. Aerosmith- Adams Apple (1975)

69. Steve Miller Band- Living in the USA (1968)

If you are, or know someone that is 35 or older, I guarantee they owned at least one copy in one format or another of

If the DJ says " comin up after the break we've got some Steve Miller, The roulette wheel of choices will be derived from that.

If you don't tap your toes to the opening, call the morgue.

Welcome to the human race...
Crap, I meant Dexter's last instalment - the one about underplayed songs by overplayed bands. There's thread potential there.

Cool thread... very nostalgic for me as my Mom and Dad listened to a lot of the ones you have posted... and I've always loved The Rain by The Cult...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Crap, I meant Dexter's last instalment - the one about underplayed songs by overplayed bands. There's thread potential there.
worry not Iro, my peeve will dominate the last 50 slots or so. Its month end so I've got my landlord hat on today. I'll get back to the thread later today/nite.