Back to School

Tools    

I am a nerd. And boy am I proud of it!

Here are my more comprehensive thoughts on school (and grades):

1) It is required of you, you have to go. We all understand that. As my friend put it to a disheartened freshman a few weeks ago who asked 'Why do I have to go to school?': "Because, right now school is your job. You need to come prepared. You have to dress for it and you have to do what is required of you." If you have to do it, and if the fact that you have to isn't going to change--you might as well make the best of it. It is an advantage to have an education, and now, for a well-paying job it is a requirement. Deal with it and appreciate it.

2) I have one teacher who is all about grades. I have another who is rolling a dice for the 6 week progress grade (and no, I am not joking). One cares too much, the other doesn't care enough (seemingly). Don't stand with these extremes, they're both wrong. Grades are not a end to the means, they are mean to an end. Grades don't determine how smart you are, and in some classes, they don't even show your potential. However, they are the measurement of these. I want to be a lawyer, a good lawyer. Hopefully in D.C. I know that to jump start a career in law in D.C, I am going to need an education from a reputable law school. These reputable law schools are hard to get into. To get in, I am going to need to go to a decent/reputable undergraduate school. These schools are also hard to get into. To get into these schools, I need good grades in my classes. That's the way it is. Learn to care about your grades. I talked about school being your job, well, in school grades are your salary.

3) On taking harder classes: If you can, do it. If you think you can't, try it anyways.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

Lets put a smile on that block
I was DONE with education when i finished Uni earlier this year. But now the time has come around again when i would normally be back there, partying...and studying, im really starting to miss Uni. I want to learn new things. But i want to learn new things about the stuff im really passionate about...i.e - Film. So in January im applying for a course for a Post-Grad degree in Film Journalism at the London B.F.I. I really hope i get in

Originally Posted by allthatglitters
3) On taking harder classes: If you can, do it. If you think you can't, try it anyways.
I say take the courses you have to and the courses you are most interested in. If you take courses that interest you, you are apt to do well and enjoy school. Why struggle your way through quatum physics, never understanding a single concept when your degree doesn't call for it and your future career has no use for it. And at the end when you are trying to get into gradute school, they will see the big fat F and won't accept you. Education is a privledge and should be enjoyed.

Blib...That is awesome!!! I love to hear that people want to learn for pleasure!! Good for you!

Some of the more "intelligent" people in history did poorly in school, often due to a learning disability. Albert Einstien, Charles Darwin, Thomas Edison are a few. However it is true that if you want to be a lawyer, a doctor, or the like, you need the marks. Where I live you can't get into law school without a B+ average. And you can't practice law without a degree so there is no choice but to work your butt off to get the B+'s.

Originally Posted by allthatglitters
I am a nerd. And boy am I proud of it!

University= awesome.

Flatmates are well cool, except the RnB girl, though she'd get a poke

Snakebite and Hock are crippling beverages

Seriously, anyone in school now and not enjoying it, bear with it- there's no need to work hard, just well enough to progress and when you get far enough, everything is well safe. Everyone finds their calling i thinks, when can vary but i'm sure it must happen for everyone sometime, and then you start enjoying it.

This thread is about something else---adults returning to school after not being in school for a while---but maybe I could semi-hijack it into a discussion about going back to school. Or not. Or at least a sounding off of who is going back soon.

I'm going tomorrow. How'a bout yall?

EDIT: those who don't answer will be assumed to be dead.

EDIT: those who do answer will be given a substantial e-award from yours truly.

EDIT: nevermind

EDIT: nevermind the nevermind because I still mind

EDIT: no I don't sorry

EDIT: I do again

School is for losers.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

School is for losers.
Very poignant social critique. Thank you for your reply. I'd like to hear more on your concept of the appropriation of education for the degenerate class. To me, it's always been more of a class or power struggle between the diametrically opposed fascist arenas of social life and the classroom. Would you agree?

Losers is for schools..
CONTRIBUTE TO THE DISCUSSION OR LEAVE!

I probably won't be able to help myself. I'll never study or do homework, because I'll be doing important work getting my post and shout count up. Most importantly, I'll be earning rep to beat mark f. My grades will drop to zero, my scholarship will be revoked, and I'll be expelled.

I'll still have my MoFos though!

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
I just finished school and I thought I was lurd about it but I started seeing all the girls walking around town in their uniforms and it's making me all nostalgic. Then again there wouldn't be a hope in hell of me wanting to go back.