Who would you give an honary Oscar to?

Tools    

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
I hope this thread hasn't been done already, couldn't find it through the search mode.

O.K., dead or alive, actor, director, actress etc its your choice.

I'll set the ball rolling with a really obvious one;

Martin Scorsese.

I find it hard to believe that he has never won an Oscar, IMO he is one of the most influential directors of the past 30 years.
His body of work alone should surely have granted him a lifetime achievement Oscar or something similar.

So cinephiles, give it to me....,
I wait with baited breath.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I don't know if I'd give any of these people honorary awards. Mainly because they're all still working and aren't so old that they have no chance to ever win an Oscar. Sidney Lumet recieved one last year, but he's 80 years old, so I can understand that.

Here's a list of all the recipients so far and why they were chosen.

Yet, this is just for fun and fantasy, so I'd pick John Sayles for his integrity in making pure independent films time and time again and never giving the big studios a chance to trim his voice down to a whisper.

All hail John Sayles!

LordyLord is right I have deleted my post and will give it some more thought.

Originally Posted by nebbit
LordyLord is right I have deleted my post and will give it some more thought.
Don't do that! I wasn't trying to talk anybody out of anything!

Besides, Toni Collette is perhaps the most talented woman in film when it comes to making herself look absolutely hideous in one film, and breathtakingly beautiful in the next. She should, at the very least, get the Angelic Hag Award, or something.

Besides, I can restore it if I want to.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Don't do that! I wasn't trying to talk anybody out of anything!

Besides, Toni Collette is perhaps the most talented woman in film when it comes to making herself look absolutely hideous in one film, and breathtakingly beautiful in the next.
Don't worry I am happy with this, I think she will eventually win her own Oscar.

Now don't cry, I you and I value the wonderful way you are right you s**t

The People's Republic of Clogher
Warren Oates

I was going to say Scorsese but i was beaten to it.

so i say Alfred Hitchcock he definitly desrves an oscar

I love you, man.

GREAT choice!
He was a great actor, wasn't he?

I remember watching Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia when I was much younger on a sadly departed BBC film series called Moviedrome (presented by Alex Cox). In fact Moviedrome and Cox introduced me to so many fantastic, non-mainstream, films at exactly the time I was able to appreciate them.

Here's the list.

It was my cinematic awakening, and Oates played a huge part.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Originally Posted by Tacitus
He was a great actor, wasn't he?

I remember watching Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia when I was much younger on a sadly departed BBC film series called Moviedrome (presented by Alex Cox). In fact Moviedrome and Cox introduced me to so many fantastic, non-mainstream, films at exactly the time I was able to appreciate them.

Here's the list.

It was my cinematic awakening, and Oates played a huge part.

Moviedrome was great, lets petition the BBC to bring it back instead of the craptacular makeover or reality shows.
What's the latest on Alex Cox, I remember he wanted to direct Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, but there seemed to be some sort of fall out between him and Thompson.
It would be great to see it back, we could really do with a great movie show, not a huge fan of Jonathon Ross, would love to see a show that went a bit deeper into film;
more indepth interviews with directors
making ofs
showing you how they do certain effects
future films, etc.
Ah we can dream!

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
What's the latest on Alex Cox!
He's still working. The last thing the IMDB have is I'm A Juvenile Delinquant, Jail Me!.

Which sounds nice...

I got the Straight To Hell DVD a while back (shameless plug) and, while not a great film, it's got a great commentary and doc.

Here to support the villians.......
Going with Tom Wilkinson just a brilliant actor, never recieves the recoginition he deserves. Possibly Gary Oldman as well, the fact that he has never even been nominated is ridicuolous.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
George A Romero.. nothing needs to be said about this man, his name is enough to instill fear into weak stomached and pleasure to the eyes of his fans. This man deserves all the adoration he gets, and more.

I don't know if I'd give any of these people honorary awards. Mainly because they're all still working and aren't so old that they have no chance to ever win an Oscar. Sidney Lumet recieved one last year, but he's 80 years old, so I can understand that.

Here's a list of all the recipients so far and why they were chosen.

Yet, this is just for fun and fantasy, so I'd pick John Sayles for his integrity in making pure independent films time and time again and never giving the big studios a chance to trim his voice down to a whisper.

All hail John Sayles!
hmm..you're right...i think i misunderstood the point of the thread, i was thinking of people that should have won the oscar...my bad...

I'd given an honorary Oscar to cinematographer Haskell Wexler.

He won two competitive Academy Awards for work in the first half of his career, Mike Nichols' Who's Afriad of Virginia Woolf? in 1967 and Hal Ashby's Bound for Glory in 1977, and has five total nominations thus far. He's still doing great work today, having lensed John Sayles' Silver City just last year, but he'll be eighty by the time the next Oscars come around and he's been such a character and force in the industry for so long, it'd be nice to see him get the extra acknowledgement from the Academy. You could also bet on a pretty good speech from the feisty and outspoken man, and the Oscars so rarely give a nod to any of the technical craftsmen and artists with the honorary awards (most often actors, directors or producers - the faces and names that get the most credit already anyway). They missed their chance to get Connie Hall up there, Haskell's good friend for so many years, and that would have been tremendous - but he did get that last Oscar as D.P. posthumously (for The Road to Perdition).

Besides Virginia Woolf and Bound for Glory, some of Wexler's other career highlights include In the Heat of the Night, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Coming Home, Matewan, The Secret of Roan Inish , Limbo and Billy Crystal's HBO baseball biopic "*61". He's also directed some films, most noteably Medium Cool which used a snatch-and-grab varite style at the infamous 1968 Chicago Democratic Presidential Convention to blend fact and fiction into a new docu-drama narrative.

If it comes to your town, check out the new documentary Tell Them Who You Are, a film made by his adult son that examines his career a bit but mostly his personality. Very good piece, and it's making the art-house circuit this summer.

So yeah...I say Haskell Wexler.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
Martin Scorsese.

I find it hard to believe that he has never won an Oscar, IMO he is one of the most influential directors of the past 30 years.
His body of work alone should surely have granted him a lifetime achievement Oscar or something similar.
I totally agree. When Raging Bull lost to Ordinary People ... what? Ordinary People was such an ordinary movie .. just a soap opera put on the big screen. In retrospect, which movie would people flock to see ... Raging Bull or Ordinary People. Scorsese really got robbed here.