I Heart Huckabees

Tools    

Do you know my poetry?

Since I noticed there was no excisting thread on the film, I decided to start one. When I went to go see Garden State, most of the trailers were lame (as usual), with he exception of two, The Life Aquatic and I Heart Huckubees. I feel instantly in love with the trailer, and since then, I've seen it more than two dozen times. The film looks fantastic, and if you haven't seen the trailer, please do:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_se...art_huckabees/

This is my most anticipated film for the rest of the year, and I hope I'm not dissapointed. As for everyone else, thoughts on the trailer?

The trailer is fine, but can't answer any questions as to the quailty of the script. It has potential, but I fear it may well settle into the recent trap of being quirky for quirky's sake. Wes Anderson isn't spawning as many imitators as Tarantino after Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but he's definitely got a following. Unfortunately nobody else has his same depth of character and strength of mood and theme.

For me Napoleon Dynamite and Garden State fall into this category. They're both good movies, and for directorial/writing debuts quite impressive really. But they don't have that extra ingredient to push them over the top to great movies. From my perspective, both movies focus too much on quirks as character and incident, instead of having quirky things devlop organically in the polt and be extensions of well-realized characters. Being off-beat doesn't pay off unless there's something more to it. Wes' movies have that in spades. The younger filmmakers spawned in the wake of his influence too often do not. If I were a betting man, based on David Russell's first three films (I think Spanking the Monkey is still his best) and the trailer, I 'd guess I Heart Huckabees is going to be another disappointment. It may be amusing, it's obviuosly populated by good actors, but making that leap to the same kind of high level as Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums is a tough task.

I'm looking forward to I Heart Huckabees, but my expectations are realistically set. I hope it surprises me, that it's wonderful. But I wouldn't bet any money on it. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou however, that one I'm very eagerly anticipating and expect everything from. I'm also betting I won't be disappointed by Wes and company.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A generic action/comedy/romance, I'll wait till it comes out on DVD unless I hear it's great.

"I can't help it..."
I am really looking forward to this after seeing the trailer. It has a strong cast, I really like Jason Schwartzman's work
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

When I saw the trailer for this in front of Garden State I was laughing pretty hard at it so I guess I'm looking forward to it.

I also saw at least 2 other trailers that night starring Jude Law, and I realized that he has at least 5 movies coming out in the next 5 months. That guy's been busy.

I'm excited.

A short REVIEW FROM TORONTO.

[Meanwhile, I disagree with Holden in regards to David O. Russell's output so far, and thus have very high hopes for Huckabees.]

Neutral Milk Hotel
This instantly falls into my top ten favorite movies list. It really is awesome. I highly recomend it to anyone interested.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by zBLARz
A generic action/comedy/romance, I'll wait till it comes out on DVD unless I hear it's great.
This movie is anything but generic.

Originally Posted by Strummer521
This movie is anything but generic.
Read it before I heard reviews...fell asleep during the opening...need to rent it again.

kim
underwater explorer
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
This instantly falls into my top ten favorite movies list. It really is awesome. I highly recomend it to anyone interested.
I agree 100%! My mind was thoroughly exercised while, at the same time, I was happily entertained. This is a wonderful film if you understand anything about existential philosophy. Even if you don't it is quite entertaining.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by kim
I agree 100%! My mind was thoroughly exercised while, at the same time, I was happily entertained. This is a wonderful film if you understand anything about existential philosophy. Even if you don't it is quite entertaining.
I think the "if you understand... existential philosophy" caveat is pretty critical, but if you do, it's a great movie. That dinner table conversation is also a lot funnier of you've debated anything on a forum.

kim
underwater explorer
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I think the "if you understand... existential philosophy" caveat is pretty critical, but if you do, it's a great movie. That dinner table conversation is also a lot funnier of you've debated anything on a forum.
Excellent point, perhaps it is too critical. I honestly think this film can be enjoyed by people with several interests and different personality types.

The dinner conversation was one of my favorite scenes, thanks for reminding me of it.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by kim
Excellent point, perhaps it is too critical. I honestly think this film can be enjoyed by people with several interests and different personality types.

The dinner conversation was one of my favorite scenes, thanks for reminding me of it.
Yup. I saw it with my mom and I doubt she knows what existentialism is and I'm sure she hasn't debated anything on a forum or elsewhere... and she enjoyed it. Her response was actually "that was WEIRD!" but I'm pretty sure she enjoyed it...

Anyway, welcome to MoFo, Kim.

kim
underwater explorer
Thanks Delilah...and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I enjoyed it even though I thought I wouldn't.

One of my new faves. Saw it when it came to the dollar theatre (January) after hearing things about it, but never getting the chance to see it during its first run. Now own the 2-disc special edition.