CURRENT MOVIE CLICHES

Tools    

Yeah, wasn't that a riot? And the "chops" were usually bouncy type blows that couldn't have done any damage to anyone.. Peter Sellers pretty much lampooned that move in his fights with Cato in the "Pink Panther" series.

And along with the "no screen doors", something else that always bugs me. Why do they still insist on only filling up the coffee cups halfway??? I can see that they're afraid of spillage, but oftentimes the cups aren't really moved around that much. Let's start a petition!!

Same thing with ice cubes. They won't use them because they'd be over-emphasized in the sound pickup. That's why everyone drinks booze in a glass straight-- no ice no mixer. Also the amount that some characters are shown drinking, especially right from the bottle. Not possible. They'd be dead. No one can drink down a whole quart of booze right out of the bottle..
Except for Castaway - I remember 3 specific lines...
"One Dr. Pepper... Two cups of ice."
"I like ice."
"I have ice in my glass."

They still never filled up the glass!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Another cliche is unnecessary love triangles, where they don't seem to really add anything to the plot. The first 2 X-men movies, or the first and 3rd Spider-man movies, Snow White and the Huntsman. The Hunger Games maybe, but I haven't finished the series yet, so I will know soon hopefully.

Nephilim posed a question in the "Question to Lawyers" thread: "When the judge tells the jury to disregard a recent remark from the attorney or prosecutor -- or even the same lawyer will say "withdrawn" --, how on Earth is expected the jury not to take that remark into account? Some way or another, it will affect the jury's train of thought when reaching a verdict. Right?"

This is a good fit for the Cliches thread as well. How many times have we heard this in films, series-- for example in Bull? Writers are apparently in love with its use, but it has gradually become a trite cliche....

There is that youtube channel Legal Eagle where the lawyer host goes through legal accuracies and inaccuracies in movies. He said that if it gets to the point where a jury hears something, they shouldn't have heard, that in real life it would be grounds for a mistrial. Just thought that was interesting.

My favorite time it was used was in Anatomy of a Murder, where the judge tells the jury to disregard it, and the defendant asks his lawyer "how can a jury disregard what they already heard?", and the lawyer responds "they can't".

There is that youtube channel Legal Eagle where the lawyer host goes through legal accuracies and inaccuracies in movies. He said that if it gets to the point where a jury hears something, they shouldn't have heard, that in real life it would be grounds for a mistrial. Just thought that was interesting.

My favorite time it was used was in Anatomy of a Murder, where the judge tells the jury to disregard it, and the defendant asks his lawyer "how can a jury disregard what they already heard?", and the lawyer responds "they can't".
Great movie, and my favorite courtroom film. Jimmy Stewart, George C. Scott, Lee Remick, Ben Gazzara, and the always appealing Eve Arden. What a picture!

Another cliche is in action movies and thrillers, the hero will often send the villains a warning that he has the drop on them, or he will tell one of the villains to tell the others he is coming for them, and thus ruining his own element of surprise. i.e. Die Hard, The Crow...

Another one, is sometimes when a woman is kidnapped she will try to seduce her kidnapper in order to escape. And the guys actually fall for it, thinking it's genuine.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
A cliche right now in films is many characters are grey, hero’s who are sometimes evil or sympathetic villains, for instance this is the case in many modern action or superhero movies.

That's not a bad cliche though is it? When I watch older movies, I sometimes feel the villains are not empathetic enough perhaps, like James Bond for example? Perhaps Breaking Bad took it up a notch?

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
That's not a bad cliche though is it? When I watch older movies, I sometimes feel the villains are not empathetic enough perhaps, like James Bond for example? Perhaps Breaking Bad took it up a notch?
Sometimes the best villains are pure evil, but I can agree.

Another one, is sometimes when a woman is kidnapped she will try to seduce her kidnapper in order to escape. And the guys actually fall for it, thinking it's genuine.
I think it’s not so much that the man is being seduced, but that he is under the delusion that the woman wants to seduce him because he’s so desirable, which he isn’t.

Oh okay, well that's the cliche than, a villain thinking he is sexually desirable to his hostage, being his downfall.

Another cliche in older movies, is how guys in Irish style pub's all sing together terribly.

Another one, in action movies, when a guy is shot through the windows of a car, the door opens and he falls out of the car, dead. What condition are you in to open a car door, just before you die?

Another one, in action movies, when a guy is shot through the windows of a car, the door opens and he falls out of the car, dead. What condition are you in to open a car door, just before you die?
Ha! Good one...

Another recent one is in crime/mystery films, when a character is walking down toward the corner of a building... there's almost ALWAYS a bad guy waiting for him around the corner. I watched one the other night where the tension built... but nothing was around the corner. The lack of the anticipated cliche made for a much more powerful scene.

Welcome to the human race...
I think people being silent to avoid horror movie monsters has been around as long as horror movies - beyond Don't Breathe and A Quiet Place, I'm not sure how much of a "craze" there's been about building entire movies around this concept.

I think people being silent to avoid horror movie monsters has been around as long as horror movies - beyond Don't Breathe and A Quiet Place, I'm not sure how much of a "craze" there's been about building entire movies around this concept.
I would say there is a broader tendency to use disability/health issues as a horror concept, or to advance the plot. I agree with you that being silent as such has been around for ages in horror, but it served the basic purpose of not being discovered by the killer. Now, Hush, Don’t Breathe, A Quiet Place, Silence and many others give us characters that have no choice but to live in silence (or darkness). I feel it’s not the same as being temporarily silent in order to hide. The protagonist in Hush is deaf and relies exclusively on visual cues regardless of whether she is in immediate danger. Birdbox is a bit more traditional in that way, as no one is actually blind - they are just trying to protect their eyes so they weren’t infected. I think it’s an emerging but already quite popular trope in post-apocalyptic horror.

Something very over-used is when someone suddenly has to leave their place. Drawers are yanked open & bundles of god-knows-what thrown in a suitcase. If I did this, on my arrival I would find 50 pairs of underwear & 20 pairs of socks. And nothing else to wear.

Something very over-used is when someone suddenly has to leave their place. Drawers are yanked open & bundles of god-knows-what thrown in a suitcase. If I did this, on my arrival I would find 50 pairs of underwear & 20 pairs of socks. And nothing to wear.
So you're telling us you don't wear socks???

(or underwear )

Another cliche I hate in movies, is usually when the protagonist is about to kill a villain, the villain says something slimy that makes his/her character less sympathetic just before they are killed, but this removes drama in my opinion.