The New Design Thread

Tools    

Well, it's finally here.

At some point when things have settled down a bit, I'll write down some stuff about the long, windy road that led to all this, because it's more interesting that you'd expect. But for now, I just wanted to have a thread to discuss some of the new features and allow people to post their feedback and ask any questions they might have.

Please note that this is not the thread for bug reports. Please post bug reports here. Many thanks.

I would be remiss, of course, if I did not thank our testers: all the mods (Sedai, Loner, and Tacitus) got a sneak peek, they were patient with the debugging process, and provided valuable feedback. Ditto for SC, particularly during this last week, where he caught several things I'd missed. I owe thanks to bluedeed and Daniel M as well for their help, and to a handful of MoFos for some crash-course beta testing on the mobile site (TUS, Aus, Rodent, and g_p).

This is by no means exhaustive, but I wanted to explain a few of the new things preemptively. On to the next post!

Notifications

The notifications system has gotten a huge overhaul. Now, when you have a notification waiting, you can see it on every page, and it'll be signified by a tiny red number above your avatar in the header. Clicking on it will bring up a list of new notifications right there on the page.

Most of the time spent on the site is spent looking at posts, and most of that time is spent simply reading them. So a lot of effort went into making the posts as clean as possible. The text is larger and more spaced out, and most of the options are initially hidden from view. But they're right there when you need them: hovering over the user's avatar gives you the most commonly used options, and the icons just above it show you their Favorite Movies and Lists.

To the right, you'll see the familiar +1/rep button, a Reply with Quote button, and a little cog for all other options: Quick Reply, Comment, Report, and Edit (when applicable). The idea is to keep things out of the way until you want them.

Profiles

I suspect you guys'll have a lot of fun with these. You can now upload a Profile Banner that will appear on your profile, and it's been given top billing. Whatever image you choose will be scaled either up or down as necessary to fit the given space, which is 960x315, so uploading larger images produces the best results. A cropping tool is included, as well.

Your stats are big and bold on the left, and the profile automatically calculates how long you've been a member. You can hold your mouse over it to get the exact join date.

Below that you'll see tabs that toggle between your Favorite Movies (more on those in a second), Profile Comments, Lists, and profile information. To the right you'll see an Activity Log that tracks things like posts, shouts, list updates, and any time you update your Profile Banner or Favorite Movies. It's relatively plain at the moment, but will be expanded over time.

Favorite Movies

This one was fun to build. You can now display the favorites on your profile with gorgeous poster artwork. All you need to do to is go to the new Favorite Movies page to confirm your choices. The first time you do, the database will make its best guess as to which film each of your preexisting titles referred to, and it should do a pretty good job. But make sure to review them before you save. Once you do, the posters will show up instantly.

If you need to make changes or corrections (now or in the future), you can drag and drop your favorites to change their order, hit the X over their top right corner to remove them, or add new ones by starting to type the title in the box above and selecting the correct film from the autocomplete that comes up. Just make sure to hit Save Favorites when you're done.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.

THIS LOOKS EPIC! Good job.

I came on, and literally my head popped back in astonishment lol! Absolutely beautiful in every conceivable way. Awesome job guys!!

My review thread isn't with the other review threads .
It will be. Hang in there! Working on this has left us a bit behind on User Reviews, both tagging them and marking all the threads. But we'll be catching up soon as part of an overhaul of the entire thing. I want to be one of the centerpiece features of the site.

It's like coming home and seeing your house redecorated.
Well, keep it nice and don't put up anymore of those tacky anti-abortion posters.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Good job. At first I was like 'why did they change it', but I'm getting to like the new design more and more with every minute.

Citizen Cage approves!