The Matrix films...

Tools    

The idea that they mean it, and that it's for publicity, are of course not mutually exclusive. For me the weirder thing is how many people who usually believe in Death of the Author are suddenly taking a director's interpretation of their work as canonical. As is so often the case, ideological coherence takes a backseat to the needs of the political or cultural moment.

Anyway, the tougher question is how conscious either of them were of this at the time. It's easy to imagine this was all deliberate, but it's also easy to imagine that it was subconscious, or that it wasn't in their minds at the time but the film's themes are sufficiently broad enough to reinterpret in light of new facts (if they told us in 15 years it was really about slavery the whole time there'd be tons to support that, too). Also fits that making a film like this gets you interested in the philosophy of identity, which prompts questions, which...et cetera.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh okay. Well one is, is that fans have been looking at The Matrix as an allegory for transgenderism, as early as the early 2010's from what I remember, so it feels like the director may be saying this now, because the fans have been saying that, or at least it comes off as curious as to why she held off on saying it long after the fans have been.

All of the movies, but especially the 2nd and 3rd ones will make much more sense and will be much better if you know one simple, key fact (sorry, but I don't know how to hide text): Neo is not "The One"; Agent Smith is "The One". Watch it with that knowledge and it will make so much more sense.

Except Third one, wonderful movies!
3? Terrible movie.

You ready? You look ready.
The idea that they mean it, and that it's for publicity, are of course not mutually exclusive. For me the weirder thing is how many people who usually believe in Death of the Author are suddenly taking a director's interpretation of their work as canonical. As is so often the case, ideological coherence takes a backseat to the needs of the political or cultural moment.

Anyway, the tougher question is how conscious either of them were of this at the time. It's easy to imagine this was all deliberate, but it's also easy to imagine that it was subconscious, or that it wasn't in their minds at the time but the film's themes are sufficiently broad enough to reinterpret in light of new facts (if they told us in 15 years it was really about slavery the whole time there'd be tons to support that, too). Also fits that making a film like this gets you interested in the philosophy of identity, which prompts questions, which...et cetera.
Given the way they have talked about their own identities and the process through which they came to them I would say it is a healthy dose of both.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza