Movies With Little or No Love Interests

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It seems almost every film has it. Sometimes it's a good thing, but usually it's an easy way to get the audience. Whether it teases the audience, excites them sexually, or if people live vicariously through them or their own personal fantasies, carnal or platonic, or using a character or a scene as a metaphor for your own life.

I remember Ebert criticizing "There Will Be Blood" for not having a love interest. It did - between H.G. and Mary, but it's not milked. I think that's the best one without it being the center of everything. It's more subtle and pure, rather than devious and exhausting.

If you have a film you'd recommend, here ya go, I'm constantly trying new kinds of films, different director. I can only imagine a great film with no love interest being pretty great if it can stand on it's own without using sex or love or both to fall back o to kill time. It's like a lot of the bands I love - they are still my favorites, but I find myself not wanting to listen to them, and sticking with songs that are either brand new, or songs I haven't heard in a really long time.

Master of My Domain
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Stopped Worrying and Love the Bomb

...oh wait.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Turin Horse has no love. Except for Bela Tarr's love for long take.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

There definitely movies without them and we have already seen examples in this thread, but I must admit it is harder than I thought to think about them. Right when you think you got the movie you go "no wait. dammit."

American Psycho has no love in it, maybe a lot of sex, but definitely no love.
It has Christian Bale's love for videotapes

Bela Tarr movies so slow even my download is taking centuries.

Bela Tarr movies so slow even my download is taking centuries.
I watch Bela Tarr movies in slow motion just for that extra experience.

But it was meaningless sex!
I haven't seen in a while, but I still can't think of one film with no love or sex.

I did remember the film being funny, black humor, how Bale almost was a narrator, a dj, a murderer, a sex freak, and an upstanding citizen at work if I remember.

A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, Reservoir Dogs, Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome.

Also like Mark F said 12 Angry Men. Also I don't think The Maltese Falcon had any.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Something like 12 Angry Men?
You know what I'm talking about - 12 Angry Men is the first film I've seen that fills the criteria.

Does already married count as a love interest? If not, the (great) movie I just watched, Cape Fear, can count as Gregory Peck and his wife married long before the events of the movie took place.

Rashomon and the first Toy Story probably also count.