Why did playing jesus hurt jim caviezel's career

Tools    

After all passion of christ was a giant hit and he became more recognizable. Why didn't hollywood offer him higher profile projects ?

is it because of his skill or because he was typecast as jesus ? how does playing jesus even lend itself to being typecast.....you have to transform to play jesus by growing hair and beard and one can play other roles looking their usual self. So what happened ?

First, establish that Jim Caviezel shares your priorities re: acting/fame/money. If you can't do that, then the premise of your question is unsupported. Simple as that.

First, establish that Jim Caviezel shares your priorities re: acting/fame/money. If you can't do that, then the premise of your question is unsupported. Simple as that.
It doesn't take a genius to identify that Brad Pitt is more successful than Jim Caviezel or Johnny Depp/Russell Crowe is more successful than Guy pearce. It is not subjective reality.

It doesn't take a genius to identify that Brad Pitt is more successful than Jim Caviezel or Johnny Depp/Russell Crowe is more successful than Guy pearce. It is not subjective reality.
The idea that Pitt is an appropriate comparison to pre-Passion Caviezel is absurd, but that doesn't even matter, because you're completely ignoring the point. I'll quote it again:

"Establish that Jim Caviezel shares your priorities re: acting/fame/money."

If you can't do this (and you've failed to do something similar the other half-dozen times I've asked, when you've made threads that are essentially identical and rely on the same unexamined assumption), then the premise of the question is unsupported, just like all the others.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Nah. Denzel Washington ruined Caviezel's career two years later. Why didn't Washington support his cast mate? Please explain the reasons why he undermined Caviezel's career? Was it because he trashed Denzel's trailer? I mean, Denzel Washington loved Brad Pitt, obviously. Interview with a Vampire was a success for crying out loud! And both movies highlighted New Orleans, so, yeah. wtf, Denzel. Really. Ethan Hawke really isn't subjective. He's real.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Nah. Denzel Washington ruined Caviezel's career two years later. Why didn't Washington support his cast mate? Please explain the reasons why he undermined Caviezel's career? Was it because he trashed Denzel's trailer? I mean, Denzel Washington loved Brad Pitt, obviously. Interview with a Vampire was a success for crying out loud! And both movies highlighted New Orleans, so, yeah. wtf, Denzel. Really. Ethan Hawke really isn't subjective. He's real.
What movie is that story associated with? (If it's associated with a movie, that is.)

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
What movie is that story associated with? (If it's associated with a movie, that is.)

lol. Well, I started with Déjà Vu, but then kinda improvised one flick to another until returning back to Denzel Washington via Training Day. Overall, I'm satisfied with my premise and feel my argument stands.

Welcome to the human race...
^It appears to be Deja Vu.

Anyway, to answer OP's question, being the star of one highly successful film doesn't automatically translate into a career full of similarly lucrative and notable works. I'd say a good example of this is Sam Neill - the man had the starring role in Jurassic Park, at the time the most financially successful film ever made (unless you adjust Gone with the Wind for inflation, of course). However, he's never really starred in anything on that level since then (except maybe Jurassic Park III), but it's not like he hasn't had opportunities - the man was offered the role of James Bond and he turned it down, after all. So, like Yoda said, it is just another one of your broadly assumptive hypotheses that can't necessarily be proved or disproved on account on the limited information we get from either individual creators or the monolithic Hollywood film industry.

There's also the plainly obvious fact that The Passion of the Christ, as immensely successful as it was, was a unique entry in cinematic history that succeeded for reasons mostly unrelated to the normal trends and economics that govern much of the industry.

And per those unexamined suppositions I keep mentioning: because it was by no means obvious at the time that it was going to be as popular as it was, and was in fact a very risky project in any number of ways (very violent, explicitly religious, in Aramaic), even taking the role is a pretty strong indicator that Caviezel was not looking for a star-making turn when he made the choice.