Captain Spaulding's Favorite Movies of 2013

→ in
Tools    

Elysium was almost good. It's just too bad they rushed the ending, because the beginning was actually pretty good. It was the only movie I saw in theaters with my roommates that didn't make me want to never watch a movie with them again.

I haven't seen Her, but it looks good.

So... you didn't like Blue Is the Warmest Color? I'm sad.

Could it have possibly been when the computer sent a woman to Joaquin Phoenix's apartment to pretend to be the computer having sex with him???
Yeah, that's pretty much when I think it starts to go downhill

Could it have possibly been when the computer sent a woman to Joaquin Phoenix's apartment to pretend to be the computer having sex with him???
Somehow I need to make a MoFo game based on this. Another one of those "Pretend You're" games. Maybe Pretend You're Joaquin Phoenix's Sexy OS and Have Sex With Him. Something like that. I think Miss Vicky would play it.

Let the night air cool you off
Haven't seen Elysium, but you know I got that rep for you when you like Her.

If you don't have Blue is the Warmest Color on this list I will take it back though.

I haven't seen Her, but I didn't like Elysium that much either. It had great potential, but I felt the pacing was off. I think Neill Blomkamp probably let it went to his head after District 9.
“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what." - Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005

The dynamics between Matt Damon and the woman he loves are interesting, and the tragic thing that happens is pretty intense. But Elysium makes this shift into generic action with really lame cliche antagonists that just killed the movie for me.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
it generally takes me several months into the following year before I've seen the majority of films that I wanted to see.
No need to apologise Cap. It usually takes me several years to catch up on all the films I'd like to see from a particular year. In fact I should be just about ready to post my favourites of 2009 pretty soon.

As for your first two choices I'm one of the many people that was left extremely disappointed with Elysium. It was just about my most anticipated film of the year but it just didn't happen; it fell really quite flat for me. I found the characters played by Copley and Foster to be very problematic, they just didn't seem to fit with the rest of the film. For the most part it was trying to be serious and gritty but they then felt like they would be more at home in a trashy B-movie. It would be something akin to a Stanley Kubrick sci-fi populated with characters from a John Carpenter or Paul Verhoeven flick.

As for Her I quite liked it but didn't really get into it for whatever reason. Again it was one I had huge expectations for but it just didn't quite meet them. I seem to remember that a problem I had with it was that I wasn't really sure what it was trying to say about technology in our society, what exactly its message was meant to be. Though perhaps that's more on me than the film. Phoenix was very good but strange as it may sound the performance that really impressed me was Scarlett Johansson's. Given that it was just a vocal performance I thought she was terrific, able to generate a wide range of emotions just through her voice

Her is one I'd definitely like to revisit someday though. In fact even Elysium I may give another shot one day in case my massive expectations sabotaged it

#18) Blue Jasmine

Director: Woody Allen
Starring: Cate Blanchett; Alec Baldwin; Sally Hawkins

Fifteen years from now, when I finally get around to sharing my list of all-time favorites, expect A Streetcar Named Desire to make the list. Obviously Woody Allen is also a big fan of the film and/or the original Tennessee Williams play. I remember an extended sequence in Sleeper that referenced the film and featured Diane Keaton displaying a surprisingly good impersonation of Marlon Brando's Stanley Kowalski. Now comes Blue Jasmine, which is essentially Woody Allen's modern take on the same story, resurrecting Blanche DuBois in Cate Blanchett's body: a self-destructive, misplaced socialite whose mental faculties are slipping after suffering a nervous breakdown from losing her Bernie Madoff-inspired husband, as well as the entitled lifestyle and luxury that came with being his wife. Cate Blanchett deserved every accolade that she received for her powerhouse performance. Despite being difficult to like, it's impossible not to feel sorry for her character's plight, in large part due to Blanchett's damaged, soul-revealing vulnerability. The rest of the cast is also very good. Sally Hawkins gives one of the best supporting performances of 2013, and I also enjoyed the supporting turns from Louie C.K. and Andrew Dice Clay. Blue Jasmine utilizes flashbacks to maximum effect, peeling back the layers of Jasmine's past like an exposé, where each revelation becomes more shocking and depressing. I'm also thankful that Woody Allen didn't cast himself in the film, nor insert himself into the script. In fact, if not for the opening credits and some of the dialogue, I'd never know that this is a Woody Allen film. I consider that a good thing, since I'm not the biggest fan. In my opinion, this is one of his best films, and possibly my second favorite after Annie Hall.

#17) Captain Phillips

Director: Paul Greengrass
Starring: Tom Hanks; Barkhad Abdi

I don't pay much attention to the news, so even though I vaguely recall the hijacking incident a few years ago, I know nothing about the details of what transpired. My ignorance of real world events probably enhanced my enjoyment of this captivating motion picture and made it less predictable for me than for those who are more familiar with the true story. I was on the edge of my seat during the entire film. Greengrass directs in a way that makes the audience feel as we're right there with the characters, our lives at risk as we experience the same panic, fear, adrenaline and claustrophobia as the people on screen. Tom Hanks is exceptional as the titular Captain Phillips, exhibiting poise and confidence in the face of danger while maintaining subtle cracks of vulnerability. Hanks balances the leadership qualities of the character without losing the Everyman attributes that have turned him into one of the most relatable and likable Hollywood stars of his generation. He deserved an Academy Award nomination for his performance. Newcomer Barkhad Abdi is equally excellent. The film's biggest strength is its ability to allow the audience to empathize with the pirates and their increasing sense of desperation. Straddling the line between documentary realism and Hollywood thriller, Captain Phillips is one of the most thrilling, intense, emotionally exhausting films of 2013.

I did not see Blue Jasmine. But I did see Captain Phillips. I thought it was very well done. But just like Zero Dark Thirty I think it went on too long in the 3rd act. But still a good movie. Was kinda surprised it did not get many Oscar nods.

I like this because I tend to fall behind on recent movies.

I've seen about 8 Woody Allen movies now, all in 2014, and I believe Blue Jasmine was my favorite. I was very happy to see The Diceman do some quality work.

I liked Captain Phillips a lot too, but I think I will eventually forget about it.

I haven't seen the other 2 yet.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Not seen Blue Jasmine and with it being a Woody Allen film it's not exactly at the top of my watchlist.

As a technical achievement I think Captain Phillips is excellent but it wasn't the type of film I was able to take to my heart. However like Gunslinger I was surprised that it didn't have more of a presence at the Oscars. Tom Hanks in particular I think can feel particularly aggrieved. His performance in the last few minutes especially was just astonishing; so raw and heart-breaking. One of the most affecting bits of acting I've ever seen

I did a review a while back if you'd be interested Cap - Captain Phillips review

I liked Elysium . Saw it at the cinema and again on TV yesterday. Ok so it's a forthright allegory, not very subtle , like District 9 but even so it's a decent action film.

Now we are talkimg. I loved both of these. Blue Jasmine is one of my faves from Allen, and I am a fan. Blanchett is other worldly.

Captain Phillips is an edge of your seat action thriller done right.

Great choices

Cate Blanchett is so cool.
I've never touched her, but I'll take your word for it. Next time give her a blanket.

She's one of my favorite actresses -- the kind whose mere presence makes every movie better. I also find her quite attractive in a regal, dignified sense. Her bone structure is exquisite.

Nice one

His performance in the last few minutes especially was just astonishing; so raw and heart-breaking. One of the most affecting bits of acting I've ever seen
Agreed. That's the moment that put the movie over the top for me.

I did a review a while back if you'd be interested Cap - Captain Phillips review
You never miss an opportunity to pimp your reviews, do you?

I read and +repped that review back when you posted it. In fact, if you scroll down that same page just a bit, you'll see my brief comment followed by my awesome post in defense of Herzog and Aguirre, the Wrath of God that I wrote in response to your unenthusiastic mini-musing you had written a few days earlier. I know how you like being shown up in your own thread.

I searched to see if you had written a review for Elysium, but the only one that came up was from seanc (which was a very good review, btw, seanc -- even if I disagree with your opinion that there can ever be too many action scenes; I mean, that's like complaining about a movie having too much nudity ).