Dog Star Man's Film Collection

Tools    

Happy New Year from Philly!
I am going over to DogStarMan's house. Don't worry DogStar I'll bring my own popcorn.

I am going over to DogStarMan's house. Don't worry DogStar I'll bring my own popcorn.
Movie Night is every Friday, it's a party I tells ya!

I have 3 types of Movies Nights which run in cycle:

Bad Movie Night, (which needs no explanation).

Good Movie Night, (which needs no explanation).

Film History Night, (this one does). Film History Night is where I teach my friends/underlings about film history, theory, etc. So last week it was films dating back from 1880's, (Series Photography and the like), Edison films... to the early-mid 1900's. I got flashcards laid out for this and everything. I sometimes go over a certain film movement, (like for example I build to Film Noir by showing is predecessor movements like German Expressionism and French Poetic Realism). Or I'll do a short biography of a certain director, (I did one on Kurosawa a few months ago). Etc. Good stuff.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

I CAME

Seriously... never before have I so clearly understood material desire...

Film History Night, (this one does). Film History Night is where I teach my friends/underlings about film history, theory, etc. So last week it was films dating back from 1880's, (Series Photography and the like), Edison films... to the early-mid 1900's. I got flashcards laid out for this and everything. I sometimes go over a certain film movement, (like for example I build to Film Noir by showing is predecessor movements like German Expressionism and French Poetic Realism). Or I'll do a short biography of a certain director, (I did one on Kurosawa a few months ago). Etc. Good stuff.
Yeah...tried this and it bombed, in music as well, my friends' hunger for knowledge sucks.

Wish yall were my real life friends.

Excellent collection, DSM. Though you need to get some Drew in your collection. BTW, unless I missed it, do you not have Man Bites Dog?
I currently do not have Man Bites Dog. Thank you though for your input!

I CAME

Seriously... never before have I so clearly understood material desire...
Hehe! Yeah, to be honest I think I own "too many", (*gasp!*), films... then again... I'm always reminded of how many times I watch them. So maybe not...

Yeah...tried this and it bombed, in music as well, my friends' hunger for knowledge sucks.
I used to be in a group like that, one that didn't care too much, but my new group of friends are always interested in learning new things. So I definitely feel fortunate in that regard.

Great Collection.. I want to steal most of them.

BTW, always wanted to watch Dog Star Man... never went around to it.
I have had people recommend it to me a lot of times.
As for stealing, you can try, but I will release the hounds. Haha!

As for Dog Star Man, feel free to read my review on it that I posted on this board. The movie can be found on Criterion's "By Brakhage: An Anthology, Volume One". It's definitely an experience to be experienced. If you ever get around to seeing it. Give me a shout out. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Oh wow. Brackage. I've had a collection of his films sitting around my hard drive for a while of which I've seen one. The Act of Seeing with One's Own Eyes was really strange. I do NOT have Dog Star Man unfortunately.

Oh wow. Brackage. I've had a collection of his films sitting around my hard drive for a while of which I've seen one. The Act of Seeing with One's Own Eyes was really strange. I do NOT have Dog Star Man unfortunately.
The Act of Seeing with One's Own Eyes is a good one. What other ones do you have mate?

"Live forever or die trying"
Thats a lot of cases, they took up too much space for me, but great collection