Dune (Denis Villeneuve, 2021)

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
I'm just wondering who exactly Javier Bardem and Oscar Isaac allegedly get mistaken for by general audiences. Seriously, I'm trying to think of someone who's about as famous as Bardem and looks enough like him that a layperson might confuse the two.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I am surprised at how confident you think you are at understanding these arguments...you think you are right and some sort of big brother trying to mediate and settle a squabble. Its funny to be honest.
I guess I'm going to mediate here for someone that apparently was mediating on my behalf.
?

I don't read his comments as confident that he understands your arguments, as you aren't making any arguments to be confident in countering. His reply is just... reality? Instead, you're stating opinion as fact, completely without an argument or proof to support it even if you honestly believe your opinions to be fact. All while ignoring arguments other users are making to try to show you the difference between the two, or even how to make a reasonable argument to prove your statement, giving you some benefit of the doubt that there's one to be made.

It's weird, man. Weird. I mean, I get the feeling your only goal is to stir crap up. You don't bother to prove anything you claim and you ignore most of the comments that reply to you with honest questions asking you to clarify things. But somehow Yoda is the over "confident" one to laugh at.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm just wondering who exactly Javier Bardem and Oscar Isaac allegedly get mistaken for by general audiences. Seriously, I'm trying to think of someone who's about as famous as Bardem and looks enough like him that a layperson might confuse the two.

Jeffery Dean Morgan?

Getting mistaken for is an indicator of anonymity and not just physical resemblance.

Getting mistaken for is an indicator of anonymity and not just physical resemblance.
I would think that the average blockbuster audience member would be able to tell apart Thanos, Poe Dameron, and the bad guy from Skyfall, especially when they're all appearing in the same movie as three very different characters. Fame isn't some extreme binary where you're either as instantly recognisable as Brad Pitt or indistinguishable from the manager at the local McDonald's - and even if it was, who gives a damn.

I would think that the average blockbuster audience member would be able to tell apart Thanos, Poe Dameron, and the bad guy from Skyfall, especially when they're all appearing in the same movie as three very different characters. Fame isn't some extreme binary where you're either as instantly recognisable as Brad Pitt or indistinguishable from the manager at the local McDonald's - and even if it was, who gives a damn.
Not giving a damn doesnt mean it doesn't exist. Moreover they could as easily mistake josh brolin for bad guy in skyfall and javier bardem for thanos.

Not giving a damn doesnt mean it doesn't exist. Moreover they could as easily mistake josh brolin for bad guy in skyfall and javier bardem for thanos.
This is still relying not only on the assumption that the average audience member already confuses these actors for one another, but that they would continue to do so even when watching all three play different characters with vastly different appearances (Isaac's Leto has a thick mane and beard, Brolin's Gurney is clean shaven with a buzzcut, and Bardem's Stilgar is distinguished from both of them because he's a Fremen). It's not like this is some Bill Pullman/Bill Paxton situation where confusing them has become a well-known joke in its own right - you're the only one who has asserted that this is a remotely real and significant problem, and it follows on directly from you remarking that the cast looks "second-rate" just because it doesn't feature anyone from the quote-unquote A-list as if this movie might be inherently better if it managed to, say, cast DiCaprio to play Leto (which, as I and others have mentioned whenever you bring this attitude up, is a very superficial way of looking at the cinematic arts).

Release date was November 2020... it's been pushed to October 2021.

Recent cinema closures and Cinemax on the brink of bankruptcy has forced the studio to halt release of the movie.

I always try to expand my horizons, but Villeneuve is just about the only thing that’ll make me watch this. Something about intergalactic nobility that’s just a step too far for me, and reminiscent of Jupiter Ascending.

But who knows, what if it does for said intergalactic nobility feuds genre what Nolan did for superheroes.

I always try to expand my horizons, but Villeneuve is just about the only thing that’ll make me watch this. Something about intergalactic nobility that’s just a step too far for me, and reminiscent of Jupiter Ascending.

But who knows, what if it does for said intergalactic nobility feuds genre what Nolan did for superheroes.
Yeah I don't think there's many other directors that would make me watch a new Dune movie.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I'm not sure I've been so excited yet so terrified of a release as much as I am for this one. Visuals are gorgeous. I love the story. Feeling weird on casting, but I'm pretty sure that's my own past and bias from having to watch those YA vampire movies and series runs on the CW. I think that's an irrational fear, but when I seen young characters almost every time I cringe a little on the inside and worry for who the market is supposed to be. Not necessarily this one, but in general.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Chani looks so much like Chani. Paul looks like Paul. You can't beat Prochnov for anything, but it still looks like a decent Leto.

I remembered the ornithopters as looking more like flapping and gliding birds than dragonflies, so, slight disappointment here, but 1) I may be wrong, it's been a long time - although the etymology comforts my memory, 2) that's still an improvement over Lynch's flying bricks.

I was anxious about the shields, which I adored in Lynch's version, but these ones look nice too.

I'm still unhappy about the unsaturated, cold colors. Really this film should have been made during a different coloring fad.

If the trailer's music is used in the film (which isn't often the case), it may be a fitting soundtrack. Even though I'm never happy to see Zimmer and his studio involved in any project of interest.

I kinda trust Villeneuve.

Background/caution : I'm one of the rare humans (does it even warrant a plural?) who like Lynch's version and are mostly relieved that Jodorowsky's version wasn't done.