Donald Trump for President?

Tools    

Did Movie Forums have some kind of Chernobyl-like accident recently that I haven't been aware of?

Master of My Domain
Did Movie Forums have some kind of Chernobyl-like accident recently that I haven't been aware of?
If you're not aware of an accident, everyone else isn't as well.

Read this carefully, does this sound like anyone? Trump maybe?
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing constant admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
  • Intensely jealous of others and the belief that others are equally jealous of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

Trump? A narcissist? No way.

Quote from a site on Narcissistic disorder

Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder, characterized by exaggerated feelings of self-importance, excessive need for admiration, and lack of empathy for others.

People with the disorder often come across as arrogant, callous, and envious, tend to be exploitative in their interpersonal relationships, and can be excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Well, if we're listing the many flaws of Donald Trump, then how about the fact that he didn't know it's 9/11 and not 7/11, I mean yeah common mistake, I get the chain of convenient stores and the largest scale attack on the U.S since the war of 1812 mixed up too.

Read this carefully, does this sound like anyone? Trump maybe?
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Intensely jealous of others and the belief that others are equally jealous of them
Most of that doesn't actually relate to Trump, i mean as much as we all hate him you must admit at least three of those are ridiculous

Read this carefully, does this sound like anyone?
Sexy Celebrity?

Well, if we're listing the many flaws of Donald Trump, then how about the fact that he didn't know it's 9/11 and not 7/11, I mean yeah common mistake, I get the chain of convenient stores and the largest scale attack on the U.S since the war of 1812 mixed up too.
He was referring to some fire precinct or something, definitely didn't get it wrong. Again, I don't particularly like him but things like these are clearly untrue yet continue to get reported.

There are a few issues with that:

First, getting Trump (and Trumpism, for lack of a better term) out of the GOP isn't the only concern. Nominating at least semi-respectable candidates sends powerful signals to the electorate. Cruz would probably lose, but Trump has the ability to taint the party's brand in an entirely different way.

Second, you say Trump losing would purge the party of this, but that's not a given. Already we see both Trump and his supporters making preemptive excuses for his loss. He'll have no reason to accept blame, and every reason to deflect it and try to retain what influence he can. Literally nothing about my interactions with Trump supporters suggests that they're prepared to reflect and genuflect on an electoral loss, even by a substantial margin.

Third, you've already made an argument going the other way: if Cruz loses, it incentivizes the GOP to nominate someone more moderate next time. A Trump loss doesn't really incentivize the party against doing anything it could have plausibly done anyway. Pretty easy to imagine Cruz using it in four years as another example of the dangers of nominating a RINO, because Trump is one of the few Republicans to who that term actually applies. So not only does nominating Trump stop this from happening, it actually seems likely to reinforce it. Which means with Trump, you might have to nominate someone like Cruz anyway, and now you've potentially thrown away two elections.

And fourth, you can't talk about the dangers of upsetting Trump supporters while disregarding the dangers of upsetting conservatives. And primary results aside, there are still far more conservatives in the party than there are Trump supporters. I don't think this genie slides right back into the bottle.
Trump's support has little to do with ideology. It comes from anger, anger at establishment Republicans and those foreigners taking their jobs, either by coming into the United States or because companies are leaving to other countries where labor costs are cheaper or industries are disappearing here and industries in other countries replace them. But it is also fueled by Trump's personal appeal as the rich guy who is not beholden to special interests. Trump is often vague and contradictory? Doesn't matter. His support comes from faith, in Trump, not core beliefs. Cruz at least has that. If Cruz is the nominee and he loses, his brand of tea party conservatism will still exist. There will be other Cruz's running, you just won't hear that RINO argument anymore, except it may be amended to admit he wasn't the right candidate to carry the true conservative banner. The Freedom Caucus will still exist and all those think tanks where Cruz gets many of his positions will still be around. Trump loses, he will be gone. He isn't going to run again. And he doesn't care about changing the Republican Party to represent his ideas. You make him president or he's done. There is no one who can carry on his message on a national level when he is out of the picture. Trump and his supporters are making excuses if he loses the nomination. If he is nominated and loses big, there won't be any excuses. And even if they come up with something, what will it matter? He is not going to run again and he has no apparatus in place to make changes in the party, which reflect his ideas, which basically is to return to the isolationism and tariffs of the GOP in the 1920's. Nobody but Trump and Patrick Buchanan are big on that.

Cruz is an acceptable alternative? Doesn't look that way with his huge losses lately. All the acceptable alternatives to Trump are no longer around. Trump either took care of them or they self destructed. Cruz is still around partly because he cannily stayed out of Trump's sites, not criticizing him, until the herd was thinned out.

Yes! Donald Trump for President! Precisely. I'm glad to see you boys are all on the right page. We can't let Hillary get in office. She can't even keep her man under control. How the Hell does she think she'll keep all the men in America in line? Not to mention the rest of the world. Anyone who votes for Hillary or anyone else is an utter fool. I'll drink to that!

They keep saying that Hillary is "playing the woman card."

Probably true, and I totally wouldn't mind a woman President (just not her).

The problem is... in order to be a woman, you have to be a human being first.

They keep saying that Hillary is "playing the woman card."
Hillary isn't playing the woman card. And you wanna know why?

She doesn't HAVE a woman card!

Nobody's given it to her yet. She hasn't earned it. She'll never earn it. She's not a woman.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Honestly, all the presidential candidates completely suck, I don't want any of those morons running my country, I don't know why any of them have gotten a single damn vote, I LIVE IN A COUNTRY FULL OF COMPLETE AND TOTAL MORONS, HOW CAN ANYONE POSSIBLY THINK THAT ANY OF THEM WILL DO ANYTHING GOOD FOR THIS COUNTRY THAT SO MANY GOOD PEOPLE DIED TO CREATE, THIS IS WHY AMERICA SUCKS NOW, BECAUSE ITS INHABITED BY THESE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, all the presidential candidates completely suck, I don't want any of those morons running my country, I don't know why any of them have gotten a single damn vote, I LIVE IN A COUNTRY FULL OF COMPLETE AND TOTAL MORONS, HOW CAN ANYONE POSSIBLY THINK THAT ANY OF THEM WILL DO ANYTHING GOOD FOR THIS COUNTRY THAT SO MANY GOOD PEOPLE DIED TO CREATE, THIS IS WHY AMERICA SUCKS NOW, BECAUSE ITS INHABITED BY THESE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The scary thing is it's been like this for decades! I don't remember the last time I voted for someone that I REALLY believed in. Usually I was only voting for the lesser of two weevils.

Best post on the thread! And that's why I'm not voting for anyone for Pres, unless I do a write-in candidate.