→ in
Tools    

My prediction for tomorrow:

22. Something I didn't watch
21. Something else I didn't watch.

Or possibly

21. Something I watched and didn't like

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Robert Altman becomes the second filmmaker, after Sidney Lumet, with three entries on the countdown: MASH (78), Nashville (43), and McCabe & Mrs. Miller (22). McCabe was on nineteen ballots, and an impressive twelve of them were top tens: two third place votes, three fourth placers, two fifth, a seventh, an eighth, two ninth, and a tenth. Werner Herzog finally enters the countdown all the way up at number twenty-one, appearing on twenty-three ballots with ten top 10s: a pair of second place votes, a third, two fourth, a fifth, a seventh, two eighth, and a ninth.

surprised McCabe is this high. i watched it a while back and didn't think it was that great, but i need to rewatch it. it could easily become one of my favorite Altmans.

i watched Aguirre for the list, and it made it was my #13. beautiful movie.

Two great picks. Aguirre, the Wrath of God has always been one of my favorite movies, but after my very recent rewatch it's been bumped to #2 on my top ten of all-time. Easily one of the greatest movies I've ever seen, a true masterpiece if I ever saw one. If I was making my 70's list right now, I would put it at #2, even surpassing Fantastic Planet.

I liked McCabe and Mrs. Miller when I saw it, but it was a long time ago. With my recent revelation of Altman's greatness, I bought it and have been meaning to rewatch it.

My list:

2. Fantastic Planet
5. Harold and Maude
7. The Holy Mountain
8. Aguirre, the Wrath of God
10. Cries & Whispers
12. Autumn Sonata
14. Eraserhead
15. The Tenant
16. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
21. F for Fake
22. The Mirror
24. Suspiria
25. The Wicker Man

1 A Woman Under the Influence
2 possibly top 10?
3 maybe top 5
4 probably top 10
5 will show up soon
6 Solaris
7 not gonna make it
8 not gonna make it
9 will show up soon
10 maybe top 15
11 not gonna make it
12 F for Fake
13 Aguirre: The Wrath of God
14 Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
15 not gonna make it
16 Dog Day Afternoon
17 Straw Dogs
18 Annie Hall
19 top 5
20 Days of Heaven
21 Badlands
22 not gonna make it
23 not gonna make it
24 The Mirror
25 not gonna make it

I had both of these on my list. That's the second Robert Altman I voted for in my top ten, and the amazing Werner Herzog, which I had down at number eighteen, giving me fourteen on the countdown, thus far…

3. Nashville (#43)
7. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22)
8. Little Big Man (#61)
10. The Man Who Would Be King (#81)
13. Breaking Away (#95)
15. Days of Heaven (#29)
16. Solaris (#39)
17. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (#94)
18. Aguirre, the Wrath of God (#21)
19. MASH (#78)
20. Don't Look Now (#72)
21. Monty Python's Life of Brian (#41)
22. Le Cercle Rouge (#60)
24. The Spirit of the Beehive (62)

My prediction for tomorrow:

21. Something else I didn't watch.
My prediction was correct!

My List
1. Didn't Make The Cut
4. Harold and Maude (#27)
5. Kramer vs. Kramer (#44)
6. Paper Moon (#74)
7. Deliverance (#51)
8. Cries and Whispers (#50)
9. Serpico (#55)
10. Dog Day Afternoon (#28)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
20. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (#46)
21. Network (#32)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

I watched 6 70's Altman movies and was very surprised with the results. I voted for one, which won't make the countdown, and I liked all of them quite a bit, with the exception of McCabe and Mrs. Miller. This movie was probably my biggest dissapountment of all the movies I watched in this countdown's preparation. It's also the one I want to see again the most. I really loved the atmosphere of the movie, and the score by Leonard Cohen. I can't help but wonder if I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I watched it, and that I just didn't get into it like I normally would. Either way, I'm quite surprised it made this high on the list, but I'm very interested in seeing it again.

Aguirre was a big surprise for me, and it started me on a path to more movies from this director who has quickly become a favorite. I love the pairing of Herzog and Kinski in Nosferatu, Fitzcarraldo, and this one. I considered voting for Stroszek and also enjoyed The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser. I also really like Port of Call: New Orleans.

So I basically discovered 2 new favorite directors due to this countdown, and that's what it's all about.

Oh good, you posted at midnight. Too bad I haven't seen these movies. Aguirre looks interesting, though.

Mad Genius Kinski time, on MovieForums. Aguirre was my #16, & is in my Top 50

Yeah I LOVE Mccabe and Mrs Miller and I'm very happy it made the list, it's a totally different western. Visually mind blowing and realistic, it's the more ''honest'' western I've seen. It's not about a gunfighter who defeats many vilains it's about how life probably was in the US in the 19th century. Also the soundtrack is absolutely terrific it follows the characters progression through the film. It's my favorite Altman and was my #10. The ending is so visually beautiful with the snow it's like a painting almost.

Deadite had McCabe on his list, bringing his total to eleven, thus far.

1. Marathon Man (#73)
3. Dawn of the Dead (#35)
5. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (#25)
7. Harold & Maude (#27)
8. The Deer Hunter (#38)
9. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
12. Walkabout (#67)
15. Carrie (#36)
18. Straw Dogs (#83)
20. Annie Hall (#30)
21. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-24-00-56-17-1.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	16783  

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Holding at six.

I've warmed to both of these over the years. I didn't like McCabe's all-out revisionism, the constant overlapping dialogue which didn't seem to mean anything, even Zsigmond's usual exemplary photography was too grimy and lived in. The whole thing had the opposite of the intended effect - it screamed look at me! The reason you're watching this is because I'm a movie! That was true but I wasn't planning on watching it again in the near-future. Aguirre had an incredible opening shot with awesome music but then it seemed to slow to a snail's pace. Kinski was a madman, but not one I wanted to share much time with. These were my original thoughts.

I now think both are better - Aguirre much better - than I originally thought. The South American adventure was rich in atmosphere, often surrealistic, subtly funny and Kinski was always fascinating exactly because he was so unpredictable. He was just as wild as the young Brando, albeit without the sex appeal. No wonder he and Herzog loved each other so much and wanted to kill each other. I still have problems with McCabe but I appreciate it more now, especially the leads who are always likable on screen. I still find the details overdone, but some of the quieter moments do pay off in creating an elegaic mood. I've been told I'm not an Altman fan, but I like him OK, so I guess that's right. I'm not the kind of fan who thinks he starts off several steps ahead of every other director. Do you expect me to do that with any director? DO YOU?

Communicated with Deadite in the spirit world the other day. He's fine and wants you all to know he loves you all very much. He reads this forum every day. He's very sorry that he had to go, but it was his time. He sees a bright and wonderful future for this place and for all of you. He also says there isn't a Sexy Curse, it's all just a fluke. If you find yourself thinking about Deadite out of the blue for no reason, it's because he is thinking of you. He also says that Sexy Celebrity is a total asshat, but he loves him anyway.

Best of all, Deadite knows what's on the rest of the '70s list before you all do (I do too). Big laughs from him because of that.

Saw Aguirre but did not vote for it and I have not seen the Altman flick. I figured something arty would show up next, but I thought more people on the site prefered Aguirre to Barry Lyndon. Go figure.

Seen 63/80

My list: 10

4. Blazing Saddles (33)
5. Eraserhead (26)
7. Dirty Harry (34)
8. Dawn of the Dead (35)
11. Mean Streets (77)
12. Superman (23)
13. Rocky Horror Picture Show (46)
15. Mad Max (70)
24. All the President’s Men (75)
25. Network (32)