Great Books Published in the 60s/70s?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm referring to books about those in music, film, or comedy.. Every book I've read was in hindsight, and I prefer to read it right after it happened, before all the revisionism, self-censorship, "the times", etc.. (It's also fun to compare how the same person's recollection of important events change)

Of course, if there are amazing books published BEFORE, please feel free to list them.

The category is a little tricky, since it concerns historical subjects written about contemporaneously.

One of my "go-to" sources is Hitchcock by Francois Truffaut, originally published in 1967. The later english edition from 1984 adds discussion of Hitch's Topaz, Frenzy and Family Plot, as well as his unfinished The Short Night. It's published by Simon and Schuster.

If you're a Hitchcock fan, the book is an indispensable reference and a thoroughly enjoyable read. Transcribed from days long question & answer sessions, and sparked on by Truffaut with queries only another director would have the knowledge to ask, Hitchcock reveals a good bit of his philosophy, technique, and recollections from each of his 53 films.

It's available in a large paperback edition from various outlets.

~Doc