Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Do they, though? I mean, it's always good to get rid of high earning players who aren't first team regulars, but the amount of money the guys put in and could still do, I don't think there's any real need to get them out in order to bring in others, is there? Are there FFP worries I'm unaware of?

The money he's put forward has been almost completely wasted though. I'm still not sure why £40m+ was turned down for Gueye. Good player, but 29 and not essential (IMO) to Everton or how they play. I'm guessing it's a way of letting the world know that Everton don't have to sell anyone and putting themselves up as getting ready to make the leap, but I think you need to pick your battles and this was one you could've allowed to leave and still have it looked as a victory. It's not as if he was leaving for another Premier League club.

I'm still not convinced by Richarlison, but at least he has value and time to improve.
Not massively convinced by him either. He still needs to step up his game. I like Bernard, he’s a grafter and think he should be in the starting team more. Let’s see what happens. We either let Silva go, but more likely I think Moshiri will keep faith with him and see if we can get some goalscorers in the next transfer window.

Who are the big earners though? I would guess Gylfi, Theo and Schneiderlin? All players that can still deliver when it counts (OK maybe not so much Schneiderlin but he's had injuries)
Maybe but they’re not delivering, Gylfi specially has been ineffective this season.The best players in yesterday’s defeat were the youngsters Tom Davies and Jonjo Kenny. Zouma who showed a lot of spirit Is only ours on loan.
We are playing boring footie and us Evertonians are looking forward to 17 football-less days to have a big of peace

But Gylfi needs people making runs, as soon as he gets the balls his head is up, that's why he wasn't great for spurs, he wants to be the playmaker as he has no pace.
Bernard should be one of the first names on the team sheet for sure

RIP Gordon Banks

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

A real legend. RIP Gordon.

Blind in one eye for the last few years of his career and yet was still good enough to play as a goalkeeper professionally. Amazing.

We got schooled by PSG last night!

I always want Premier League clubs to go as far as possible in european competitions, was a shame, stupid 2nd yellow from Pogba, he did a similar thing against Tottenham and caught Alli with his studs, he'll end up really hurting someone if he's not careful

Never would've guessed that we'd punish Dortmund like that! It's not a done deal as anything can and will happen in football, but I'm far from nervous about going through

The second half was a complete turnaround. First half Spurs never looked like scoring at all. Goes to show, the Dortmund although being a good side, being young, have a lot to learn about Europe.

The second half was a complete turnaround. First half Spurs never looked like scoring at all. Goes to show, the Dortmund although being a good side, being young, have a lot to learn about Europe.
They were missing Reus for sure.
If it's any consolation, I wouldn't bet against United turning it around. They've had bigger hills to climb, they've always been that kind of team. I'll be cheering for you (but only so Ole gets the job and Poch stays where he is )

Haha! The Pogba red was a soft one. The tie is over. I don't see us making it to next round and without Pogba, if there was a 5% chance, now its down to 0.5%. And they have Cavani to return and Verratti to get back to full fitness and form by then. It might get ugly in Paris, if United be all gung-ho about it.

The 1st yellow was soft, everyone knows when you're on a yellow you don't mistime a tackle or do anything stupid, in a game like this that was a big moment. Herrera, Matic, lingard, Lukaku, Rashford and Sanchez would be my front 6 for it, could be a season defining match for Sanchez

Still wont make it with that team. Eagerly waiting for next Pool Bayern... oooooooooooo! I hope Bayern just score 3-4 on the first leg.

We were, but it was expected, wasn't it? The reaction I've seen over here in the 24 hours after was as if we'd been the favourites for the tie. Or the 'old' United. I can't see how anyone who has been paying attention in the last 5 years would have us as the winners of that tie over two legs. In a one off game? Sure, it happens. It happened with Spurs in the league where we could've lost by quite a few but ended up winning. But over two legs I think PSG were odds on with the bookies.

The two injuries were key and made the second half a lot easier for PSG than it might've been otherwise, but they're a better team with better players. They had more nous, too. Every other counter attack was stopped after the first pass or when we made the break. This is what the best teams do all over Europe. Especially away from home. Watch City or Juve, Barca or Real. As soon as they lose the ball and the break is on they make a niggly foul so they can regroup, regain their shape and drop back. But as it's just a small foul, it usually won't draw a card. Obviously it is a professional foul, but isn't seen the same way as a deliberate pull or trip but has the same effect.

Shorn of their pace, United don't really have much else. Especially if Pogba is isolated or man marked, which is what PSG did in the second half, leading to him getting more and more frustrated and the second yellow. That in itself pretty much killed our chances for the second leg.

Great result for Spurs last night. I didn't see much of the game, but saw the last 15 minutes and they were just all over Dortmund. Reminded me a bit of PSG the night before.

I liked what Solskjaer said about mountains being there to be climbed .

We were, but it was expected, wasn't it? The reaction I've seen over here in the 24 hours after was as if we'd been the favourites for the tie. Or the 'old' United. I can't see how anyone who has been paying attention in the last 5 years would have us as the winners of that tie over two legs. In a one off game? Sure, it happens. It happened with Spurs in the league where we could've lost by quite a few but ended up winning. But over two legs I think PSG were odds on with the bookies.

The two injuries were key and made the second half a lot easier for PSG than it might've been otherwise, but they're a better team with better players. They had more nous, too. Every other counter attack was stopped after the first pass or when we made the break. This is what the best teams do all over Europe. Especially away from home. Watch City or Juve, Barca or Real. As soon as they lose the ball and the break is on they make a niggly foul so they can regroup, regain their shape and drop back. But as it's just a small foul, it usually won't draw a card. Obviously it is a professional foul, but isn't seen the same way as a deliberate pull or trip but has the same effect.

Shorn of their pace, United don't really have much else. Especially if Pogba is isolated or man marked, which is what PSG did in the second half, leading to him getting more and more frustrated and the second yellow. That in itself pretty much killed our chances for the second leg.

Great result for Spurs last night. I didn't see much of the game, but saw the last 15 minutes and they were just all over Dortmund. Reminded me a bit of PSG the night before.
Spurs in the 1st half were a bit jittery, the 2nd half was a whole different gear, Jan Vertonghen probably had his best game in a Spurs shirt. Aurier on the other hand gave away possession too much, fell asleep for some of his markers runs, if Dortmund had focused on their left flank for attacking instead of their right it could've been a very different result

PSG missing Neymar and Cavani probably put United as favourites in most people's eyes for the Old Trafford game, Mbappe is so amazing for such a young lad

Still wont make it with that team. Eagerly waiting for next Pool Bayern... oooooooooooo! I hope Bayern just score 3-4 on the first leg.
I expect Bayern to score goals, considering it will most probably be a Fabinho-Matip CB pairing(with Van Dijk suspended).

It also means Fabinho not being in the midfield to control the tempo.

I was quietly confident. Never thought of United being the favorites. But if there was an upset to be had, this was the one. They have far more players to control the midfield that we do. Matic/Harrera are good at breaking up play. Whereas Veratti/Marquinos are good at that and finding a pass as well. I just wondered Fred might have been something of an option with his running. But then again, the very little game time he has had, this would have been too much.

Cant call the Bayern/Pool game yet. But City, Spurs are sure to make it to the next round.

If its Matip/ Fabinho, that would be interesting. But Bayern aren't having a stellar season either. If the front three can steam roll them in the first 15-20 mins, it will give Pool a huge advantage. A goal advantage should be enough for Pool, as i do expect them to at least get a goal in away leg.

Chelsea tonight!

Happy we got a win. Chelsea were more or less toothless in their attack. Just a lot of sideways passing. But after 20 mins i was a little worried they were starting to dominate possession. But the goals really knocked the air out of them. On to Wolves now.