What is your favourite era of movies ?

Tools    

What is your personal favourite era of movies ?

Mine is personally the pre-Hays code days of the late 20s and early 30s.

What is your personal favourite era of movies ?

Mine is personally the pre-Hays code days of the late 20s and early 30s.
When I first got into films those pre Hays code films were my go to. There's a whole series of DVDs that feature them called Forbidden Hollywood.

Have you seen many? Which are your favorites?

When I first got into films those pre Hays code films were my go to. There's a whole series of DVDs that feature them called Forbidden Hollywood.

Have you seen many? Which are your favorites?
Off the top of my head some of my favourites pre-Hays code movies are Hell’s Angels, Scarface, Capra’s Flight, All is Quite on the Western Front, Wings and The Gold Rush.

Off the top of my head some of my favourites pre-Hays code movies are Hell’s Angels, Scarface, Capra’s Flight, All is Quite on the Western Front, Wings and The Gold Rush.
Good choices. I've seen them all except Capra's Flight. Probably my favorite (an I have a lot of favorite precodes) is Clara Bow's Call Her Savage.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
The 60s, 90s, and 2000s have more of my most favorite movies I have noticed.

Hate to say it, but have to say it. The 80's were both magical and horrible.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Hate to say it, but have to say it. The 80's were both magical and horrible.
A lot of my friends love 80s movies and always recommend a lot of them to me. But unlike every other era, where great films of aged well, a lot of 80s classics seem forever trapped in the 80s, with some acceptions such as Platoon or Raging Bull or The Last Temptation of Christ, or something like that.

It's a tough question, it's either

1953, April 14th - May 7th
or
Every other date outside that range

Just too close to call I think.

50's, 90's but also many movies made after 2000.

A lot of my friends love 80s movies and always recommend a lot of them to me. But unlike every other era, where great films of aged well, a lot of 80s classics seem forever trapped in the 80s, with some acceptions such as Platoon or Raging Bull or The Last Temptation of Christ, or something like that.
Sure, a good many films from the 80s scream 80s. Then again, 70s movies generally scream 70s, etc. I can usually tell when a movie was made (within about 3-4 years) by watching a few minutes of film. Lighting, framing, color, aspect ratio, camera movement, music, etc. give the game away pretty quickly. And some films that are definitively 80s are also definitively great (e.g., Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Terminator, Die Hard, When Harry Met Sally, The Big Chill).

The sociology of film in this decade was a hell of a lot of fun. There were still midnight movies. You could still do quirky movie things like watch Rocky Horror in any major city. There were still regularly 70mm prints on big screens. Audiences weren't checking their cell phones every 5 minutes. It was still regular for people to line up opening week for big releases. These were "must see" events. Home viewing was now on the scene to allow for watching films with friends or at parties at home, and a whole market of cheesy films emerged (direct to video), but this technology was emergent and no one was yet imagining that they would rather stay home to watch a VHS on a fuzzy CRT rather than on the big screen.

If I were from another time, I might pine for weekly serial cliff hangers. If I were from another place, I might report good times in watching schlock on 42nd Street in New York (i.e., "the Deuce"). But I am just an average person who grew up in the 'burbs that were so often featured in 80s films. But... ...I did see the original trilogy in 70mm when these films were released. I did get to see Raider of the Lost Ark, ET, Blade Runner, The Terminator, The Thing, Dangerous Liaisons, A Fish Called Wanda, Star Trek II, The Princess Bride, etc., as new releases on clean prints on big screens.

“I was cured, all right!”
I'm all about 60's, 70's and 80's.

Japanese golden age; chambaras (samurai films) and the Yakuza era — Ninkyo eiga and Jitsuroku eiga —; Big fan of Hong Kong's Heroic Bloodshed; Kung Fu masterclasses (from Shaw Brothers to Jackie Chan) and the absolutely gorgeous Wuxia genre. Also, late Soviet cinema. The 80's also represent the rise of uncompromised action heroes in USA.