Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Taxi Driver- 1/10

There were a few occasional funny dialogues and a few likable side characters but most of the movie was listening to De Niro's character's mad, meaningless ravings. The whole premise of the movie seemed very weird to me.

Every one has there opinion but i have to say the movie wasnt about funny dialogue or likable side characters. Its supposed to be weird you are watching someone lose his grip it does a good job at illustrating his world.

But if u didnt like it you didnt like it

Special Forces Major Jax (Mecard Brooks) loses his arms to the icy grip of Subzero (Joe Taslim).

Something seems off about this hes freezing the expanding gasses from the gun? Wouldnt they not expand anymore i dont know just seems weird!!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Something seems off about this hes freezing the expanding gasses from the gun? Wouldnt they not expand anymore i dont know just seems weird!!

I'm sorry, but even speaking as someone who's always found Driver to be slightly overrated, I really don't think you got it; Travis only
WARNING: spoilers below
"becomes a hero" by accident, because the police/media mistakenly believe that he shot everyone up in order to save Iris, instead of it being the bloody rampage he'd been planning for some time. That's the whole point of the irony that everyone would've known him as the psycho he really was if his original plan to assasinate Senator Palantine had been successful. At any rate, no, he didn't "get the girl" in the end just because she rode in his taxi and talked to him for a bit, and the point of him glancing sharply at something in his mirror at the end is to suggest that Travis didn't really get anything out his system for good, as the cycle is starting again, and he's likely not going to be viewed as a hero after he snaps again, whenever that is.
As I said to thief if the main idea of the movie was the irony in a nutcase being seen as a hero... it just isn't enough of an idea to build an entire 2 hour movie around. That idea could have been communicated in a short film too. Have one scene with Betsy, a brief encounter with Iris, the assassination attempt and then the final killing spree and aftermath. There was really no need to make the viewer sit through 2 hours of Travis' rantings and ravings.

'Sumer of 85' (2020)

Frustrating film. In the mould of Almodovar / Xavier Dolan / Call me by your name type film. Young love and heartbreak etc. I've seen Ozon's 'Frantz' which I thought was great.

So I had large expectations which is maybe why I was left a tiny bit disappointed. There are some beautiful moments but towards the end there are a couple of silly events that are rather cringeworthy and take the viewer out of the moment completely. Wanted to love it but couldn't

I like videogames. A lot. People who made this movie probably don't know what a videogame is.

God Paul and Steve look so young in this movie

Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2011)

+

I don't watch many documentaries but figured I'd take a swing with this for the upcoming foreign language countdown. They don't affect me the same way as other movies so I don't generally rate them as high. This was really well made and turned what I thought was an uninteresting subject into a very interesting film. I like to occasionally eat sushi even if I don't like every kind. Part of it is just that I like being able to say hey I had some sushi today. I could have done without seeing some of the fish alive but it is part of the process. The old fart has a good philosophy; find out what you're good at, pursue it, and always strive to improve. Maybe if I had a dad like Jiro I could have been a gigolo instead of a regular loser.

Snooze factor = Zzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Kudos to the previous viewings -- "The Social Dilemma" (I agree with what Doc said, but a proper response would be one of my long-winded political posts), "Bicycle Thief" (De Sica is my favorite), "Rocco And His Brothers" (Visconti is my #2), and "Taxi Driver", although I'll flip it around and say I don't like most Scorsese but I like "Taxi Driver" much, but I attribute this to Paul Schrader and Robert De Niro.

Nomadland - 6/10
This movie was made fifty years too late it seems. Hollywood is usually fifty years behind, though. It's actually based on an article from Harper's fifty years ago. As for the movie, this should have been one of I liked very much, but it had too much DIY (Do-It-Yourself). You'd think the audience for this movie has never left their house to know how to live "on the road". I've had experiences like this, but by backpack, and all over the world, hostel-hopping, farming, sleeping in a park for a week with friends, and it's tough, but also fun, just depending on how you feel at the moment. I never knew or cared about "Bo" - we don't see him in the movie, and it seemed like a way to bring in sentimentality/sadness to a situation that didn't need it, and was probably interrupted. I would have liked to have seen more conversations from Blinkie, Linda, and Bob, who must be non-actors, because they were not only natural, but they reminded me of people I know. I'd think "Cool", and then the 60-second conversation was over. I never liked Jason Statham - he seems to always play a creepy-kinda guy who just has an unlikable face... I would have lied to know more about the main character, and would have probably been better not to re-do the Amazon job scenes, etc... It might have been a good to see the not-so-community oriented "tent cities" all over the country, too. Pretty soon, we'll ALL be working for Amazon in some way, and we ARE the product. Social media isn't free, but some of the nomads found it useful and if that's where the people are at, you don't have much of a choice.

Frances is good as usual, but the movie seemed to take 30 minutes of good movie and make it almost 100 movies. However, I guess I'm glad this won Best Picture, because people should know about struggle, which I'm sure they do, but that it's probably more common than just the undesirables. I liked that Statham's and Frances' character didn't "bang", because it seemed like the way it would have gone. It might have been cool and been expressive if the young man and her had a one-night stand to show a more instinctual nature, and the depravities of the road, and if two people can do something so they can both have one of those free pleasures in life, why not, but I praise on not including any, too. It was good the sister wasn't cliche, supported her, and mentioned how she was emblematic of the pioneers, those who sought a new frontier, when man meets a new idea which is probably impossible staying in one place, which is something I seem to prefer now, but there's too many reasons and not enough space to type this all out.

I give it an extra point for being a movie I actually I didn't turn off like the last handful of movies from my beloved 1930-70s preference, or ever thought about turning it off. I'd say this is a pretty accessible movie; a majority would probably like this, I don't see too many extremes, where people say it's their favorite or the worst movie they saw, but I do like looking at the extremes on the user reviews on IMDB... I also liked it a little more after lighting up a pinner, because the movie is reflective and moderately paced, maybe too slow for a casual viewer.

The difference between Travis and say Daniel Plainview, is that while Plainview is undoubtably a bad person, he has redeeming characteristics (unlike Travis) and you can actually relate to him. Which you can’t really with Travis.

For example, look at the scene with Daniel’s ‘brother’. The viewer really feels for him in that moment. You can really understand how lonely Plainview fails and his extreme disappointment and heartbreak. Travis just feels alien.

Also the life of an unscrupulous robber baron is simply more interesting than that of Taxi Driver. Also TWBB is an epic biography of Plainview’s life not just a snapshot in his day to day life. And you see Plainview’s descent into madness on screen while Travis is already quite mad when we first meet him.

Plainview is an infinitely more fascinating protagonist than Travis. At best Travis’ whole personality revolves around the big joke that everybody thinks he’s a hero when he’s actually not that great a guy, compare that to the complexity of Plainview.
I referenced There Will Be Blood just as another example of a film with an unlikable lead character. I wasn't trying to make a side-by-side comparison, but anyway, it boils down the same point about "relatability" since you once again brought up how you "can actually relate to" Plainview but not to Travis. So my initial question remains, is it necessary for us to "relate" to the lead character in order to appreciate or like a film?

As far as which character is more "interesting" or "fascinating", it all depends on how you look at it. So to entertain the comparison a bit, some would argue that the life of an oil baron is more distant and "unrelatable" than that of a mere taxi driver, who despite all the insanity we see in him, is pretty much an "everyday guy". And that's one of the things I find interesting and chilling about Taxi Driver. Everybody I interact with could be Travis Bickle, while not everybody I interact with could be Daniel Plainview. A regular guy like me wouldn't have much control over what a "Daniel Plainview" does from his distant "throne of power", whereas my everyday interactions could really have a positive/negative impact in dozens of "Travis Bickle"s around me.

Which brings me to another important point on the film, which is "control". What control do we have over our lives and reactions? Travis' friend thinks we don't; he says "we're all ****ed up", while Travis himself says later "there never has been a choice for me". And even though I don't think Scorsese fully answers the questions he asks, I don't think he needs to, but I do think it's interesting that he's asking them.

Kudos to the previous viewings -- "The Social Dilemma" (I agree with what Doc said, but a proper response would be one of my long-winded political posts), "Bicycle Thief" (De Sica is my favorite), "Rocco And His Brothers" (Visconti is my #2), and "Taxi Driver", although I'll flip it around and say I don't like most Scorsese but I like "Taxi Driver" much, but I attribute this to Paul Schrader and Robert De Niro.

Nomadland - 6/10
This movie was made fifty years too late it seems. Hollywood is usually fifty years behind, though. It's actually based on an article from Harper's fifty years ago. As for the movie, this should have been one of I liked very much, but it had too much DIY (Do-It-Yourself). You'd think the audience for this movie has never left their house to know how to live "on the road". I've had experiences like this, but by backpack, and all over the world, hostel-hopping, farming, sleeping in a park for a week with friends, and it's tough, but also fun, just depending on how you feel at the moment. I never knew or cared about "Bo" - we don't see him in the movie, and it seemed like a way to bring in sentimentality/sadness to a situation that didn't need it, and was probably interrupted. I would have liked to have seen more conversations from Blinkie, Linda, and Bob, who must be non-actors, because they were not only natural, but they reminded me of people I know. I'd think "Cool", and then the 60-second conversation was over. I never liked Jason Statham - he seems to always play a creepy-kinda guy who just has an unlikable face... I would have lied to know more about the main character, and would have probably been better not to re-do the Amazon job scenes, etc... It might have been a good to see the not-so-community oriented "tent cities" all over the country, too. Pretty soon, we'll ALL be working for Amazon in some way, and we ARE the product. Social media isn't free, but some of the nomads found it useful and if that's where the people are at, you don't have much of a choice.

Frances is good as usual, but the movie seemed to take 30 minutes of good movie and make it almost 100 movies. However, I guess I'm glad this won Best Picture, because people should know about struggle, which I'm sure they do, but that it's probably more common than just the undesirables. I liked that Statham's and Frances' character didn't "bang", because it seemed like the way it would have gone. It might have been cool and been expressive if the young man and her had a one-night stand to show a more instinctual nature, and the depravities of the road, and if two people can do something so they can both have one of those free pleasures in life, why not, but I praise on not including any, too. It was good the sister wasn't cliche, supported her, and mentioned how she was emblematic of the pioneers, those who sought a new frontier, when man meets a new idea which is probably impossible staying in one place, which is something I seem to prefer now, but there's too many reasons and not enough space to type this all out.

I give it an extra point for being a movie I actually I didn't turn off like the last handful of movies from my beloved 1930-70s preference, or ever thought about turning it off. I'd say this is a pretty accessible movie; a majority would probably like this, I don't see too many extremes, where people say it's their favorite or the worst movie they saw, but I do like looking at the extremes on the user reviews on IMDB... I also liked it a little more after lighting up a pinner, because the movie is reflective and moderately paced, maybe too slow for a casual viewer.

How can a film be 50 years too late when it was based on a book released in 2017, which was an expansion of a previous article that details events that occurred during the Great Recession, 2007-2009?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
How can a film be 50 years too late when it was based on a book released in 2017, which was an expansion of a previous article that details events that occurred during the Great Recession, 2007-2009?

Don't take my word for it - watch the end of the movie. It said so in the credits.

Nomadland - 6/10

Seriously, though, regardless of the time this lifestyle started, or the book was written, or whatnot, what I appreciated is what you mentioned about the struggles to get by, which I believe are timeless. I think the film succeeded in showing the impact that it has on Fern.

Don't take my word for it - watch the end of the movie. It said so in the credits.
Or you could google the book and see that it was published in 2017 and the subtitle that was dropped for the movie was “Surviving America in the 21st Century.”

Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2011)

+

I don't watch many documentaries but figured I'd take a swing with this for the upcoming foreign language countdown. They don't affect me the same way as other movies so I don't generally rate them as high. This was really well made and turned what I thought was an uninteresting subject into a very interesting film. I like to occasionally eat sushi even if I don't like every kind. Part of it is just that I like being able to say hey I had some sushi today. I could have done without seeing some of the fish alive but it is part of the process. The old fart has a good philosophy; find out what you're good at, pursue it, and always strive to improve. Maybe if I had a dad like Jiro I could have been a gigolo instead of a regular loser.
I've heard this Jiro is a very unpleasant chap, at least to americans.