Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot

Tools    

https://tvline.com/2018/07/20/buffy-...s-joss-whedon/

"Buffy Summers is heading back to Sunnydale… but she might look a little different than you remember.

A reboot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is in development, with a black actress eyed to play the title role, our sister site Deadline is reporting. Original creator Joss Whedon is on board as an executive producer, with Monica Owusu-Breen (Midnight, Texas) serving as writer and showrunner of the reboot. (Owusu-Breen previously wrote for ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., where Whedon is an EP as well.) The reboot doesn’t have a network home yet, but it’s said to be “contemporary, building on the mythology of the original.”"

I'm disgusted at the lack of inclusiveness of the reboot. Buffy should now be a man. The show needs to stop being so sexist. We've had over a quarter of a century of a female Buffy. It's TIME.

My wife was a huge fan of this show, and while we were dating we watched the whole thing together. I'll tell her about this and report back.
She used the words "pointless and unnecessary."

Specifically, she thinks that it should be about another slayer, and not just a reboot, and I agree, particularly given how the series ended.

We'll both give it a try regardless, though, whether it looks bad or not.

Good grief. Seriously? Don't want.

This is indeed "pointless and unnecessary" as Yoda's wife put it, but the worst thing is the bigotry it'll inspire. Like, just don't watch it, just pretend it's on BET and not catered to white people.

It's especially easy to ignore since it's a reboot and not a sequel/prequel, and i doubt it'll be that bad seeing as Joss will be involved himself. In my experience fans of Joss typically love everything he does as they find familiar humour/themes/whatever throughout his work. Even The Avengers, i know a Joss superfan who hates most superhero films except that as he feels there's the same brand of fun included. Another thing is Whedon's shows are famous for their slow starts: Buffy Season 1 is almost universally agreed upon as the weakest as it's a lot more juvenile and all over the place than the later ones even Seasons 4, 6 and 7 are seen as more confident/mature, Angel doesn't start getting full acclaim til Season 4 or its last one even and a lot feel Dollhouse was just getting great before it was cancelled. Firefly is really the only exception and it's not that different even since many people think it only started finding its own in the second half. So i think if it follows that trend people will be especially unkind to it for those other reasons. Although i'm not sure of his involvement exactly, seemed Agents of Shield only really had his name on it, with it being Buffy which is clearly the most important work to him if you read his interviews i imagine he'll have quite a bit of input. I'll give it a try but not enthusiastically.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This is indeed "pointless and unnecessary" as Yoda's wife put it, but the worst thing is the bigotry it'll inspire. Like, just don't watch it, just pretend it's on BET and not catered to white people.

It's especially easy to ignore since it's a reboot and not a sequel/prequel, and i doubt it'll be that bad seeing as Joss will be involved himself. In my experience fans of Joss typically love everything he does as they find familiar humour/themes/whatever throughout his work. Even The Avengers, i know a Joss superfan who hates most superhero films except that as he feels there's the same brand of fun included. Another thing is Whedon's shows are famous for their slow starts: Buffy Season 1 is almost universally agreed upon as the weakest as it's a lot more juvenile and all over the place than the later ones even Seasons 4, 6 and 7 are seen as more confident/mature, Angel doesn't start getting full acclaim til Season 4 or its last one even and a lot feel Dollhouse was just getting great before it was cancelled. Firefly is really the only exception and it's not that different even since many people think it only started finding its own in the second half. So i think if it follows that trend people will be especially unkind to it for those other reasons. Although i'm not sure of his involvement exactly, seemed Agents of Shield only really had his name on it, with it being Buffy which is clearly the most important work to him if you read his interviews i imagine he'll have quite a bit of input. I'll give it a try but not enthusiastically.
I'm not sure how involved he'll be. Sure his name will be on it giving it his stamp of approval, but with his new HBO show and seeing how many hats he'll be wearing on that, I bet he'll have no time for this.

I mentioned that they were doing a Bluffy to my wife, we both agreed with Yoda and his wife. Not needed. Make it a new character in the same universe, make it set in Cleveland Ohio where there is another Hellmouth for crying out loud.

Suspect's Reviews

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
waaaaaait.
Maybe it's just the Benadryl, but I'm confused. First, I read the thread topic as "robot" which, obviously, got my attention. I hated the series and would very much be interested in a vampire slayer robot version. Second, the movie was so great! Perhaps that is partly why I hated the series so damn much. That and I've never been a fan of Sara Michelle Gellar. Ever. She's like a hybrid of an Ally McBeal clone and Maggie Gyllenhaal, with genes taken from each to form an ALPHA prerelease prototype of Tera Reid 1.07.

THIS!!! now THIS is what it was all about:

Also, Yoda's wife is on the forum too?! I did not know that! *waves!!!!*

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

...but literally everyone who liked the show is going to at least try this, right?

Also, Yoda's wife is on the forum too?! I did not know that! *waves!!!!*
Technically, she's @IrishSansRed, but she doesn't post much. In this case I just told her about the news and asked for her opinion, and then transcribed it back here for you fine folks.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
...but literally everyone who liked the show is going to at least try this, right?

Technically, she's @IrishSansRed, but she doesn't post much. In this case I just told her about the news and asked for her opinion, and then transcribed it back here for you fine folks.

!!!!
I'm so relieved now! For a brief moment I had a panic thinking I had completely misread the context of Powdered Water's posts all this time! Thank you for clearing that up for me! lol.

*properly waves to the correct Yoda's wife*

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Make it a new character in the same universe, make it set in Cleveland Ohio where there is another Hellmouth for crying out loud.
HAAAA, i love you for saying that

Whilst I'll certainly give this a go, I'd suggest that most of Whedon's efforts will be directed in this direction. I'm certainly more interested in whatever this becomes that a reboot Buffy.

Joss Whedon and HBO are making TV series that sounds like a Victorian-era Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon is really, properly returning to telly for a new series that seems likely to become another classic.

The writer has recently been dipping his toes back into the medium by producing Freeform's detective series Pippa Smith: Grown-Up Detective, after taking a sabbatical into the film world for The Avengers and Justice League.

On Friday (July 13), HBO announced that it had signed Whedon to write, produce, direct and serve as showrunner of The Nevers, a science fiction series set in the Victorian era.

The Nevers are "a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world," according to a description released by HBO.

Joss Whedon announced the show in a typically-witty statement: "I honestly couldn't be more excited. The Nevers is maybe the most ambitious narrative I've created, and I can't imagine a better home for it than HBO. Not only are they the masters of cinematic long-form, but their instant understanding of my odd, intimate epic was as emotional as it was incisive.

"It's been too long since I created an entirely new fictional world, and the HBO team offer not just scope and experience, not just 'prestige', but a passionate collaboration. I could go on, but – I'm impatiently grateful to say – I have work to do."
HBO seems equally as excited about the collaboration, with programming president Casey Bloys praising Whedon as both "incredibly talented and prolific".

"We look forward to meeting the strange, multifaceted characters of The Nevers, to learn their stories, see them in action and share them with our viewers," the HBO executive added.

"We're honored that Joss chose HBO as the place to build his ambitious new world and we are excited to get started."

HBO continues to line-up high-profile series in advance of Game of Thrones ending next year. Former Lost writer Damon Lindelof is currently working on a series based on Watchmen, while Game of Thrones author George RR Martin will partner with Kingsman: The Secret Service co-writer Jane Goldman for a Thrones prequel set during the mythic Age of Heroes.
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a8...es-the-nevers/