Snapshots of History.

Tools    

Admunson and his team being the (disputed but generally recognized ) first to reach the South Pole. About 1911.

When and why was this lady photographed?

Admunson and his team being the (disputed but generally recognized ) first to reach the South Pole. About 1911.
very clever lenslady. You can confirm (google) your answer then feel free to post a new one. In your absence try this one.

I think our posts crossed spookie. How's about you guess the one I just posted, and then ( hope I'm right b/c this is gonna be really embarrassing if I ' m wrong) I 'll start singing that old Leadbelly tune:

You got it Cap'n . Migrant mother was the name of the photo, taken by FSA photographer Dorothea Lange- to bring awareness and compassion for these victims of the great depression.

Glad to see you join in here-, take a turn. And welcome to the thread, would you like a cold drink? Perhaps some crudités - maybe a cookie? (Somehow I seem to have evolved - in spookie's absence- into the snapshot hostess. )

Anyway, give us a new post, if you don't mind, C. Steel. Would you like me to adjust that chair for you? Perhaps a cup of tea???Relax😄.....and join us.

You got it Cap'n . Migrant mother was the name of the photo, taken by FSA photographer Dorothea Lange- to bring awareness and compassion for these victims of the great depression.

Glad to see you join in here-, take a turn. And welcome to the thread, would you like a cold drink? Perhaps some crudités - maybe a cookie? (Somehow I seem to have evolved - in spookie's absence- into the snapshot hostess. )

Anyway, give us a new post, if you don't mind, C. Steel. Would you like me to adjust that chair for you? Perhaps a cup of tea???Relax😄.....and join us.
lenslady you I am afraid are jumping the gun. It is not the Titanic sinking.

Of course. 🙄Figures - I was wrong wrong wrong😳 well it's a neat song though, isn't it?

Maybe someone else should take a guess.

Of course. 🙄Figures - I was wrong wrong wrong😳 well it's a neat song though, isn't it?

Maybe someone else should take a guess.
It was a sinking that greatly involved your country.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
MGM movie opening logo...P.S. MGM over the years used different lions for the movie title opening.
Now it uses a drunken Polish man pretending to be a metal singer (the intro to this video):

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

It was the sinking of the Lusitania in 1915 by a German U-boat. Went down in 18 minutes.

Here's an interesting one:

~Doc
Well done GulfportDoc and welcome to the thread. This is a tricky one.

The first ever Hollywood "silent film"? Reckon Orson cracked it. That appears to be a sound technician so I was well off track. Taking a risk being in a cage with a wild lion tho. This snapshot was appropriate too for the Silver Screen thread.

That must be Leo the MGM lion being filmed for the MGM movie opening logo...P.S. MGM over the years used different lions for the movie title opening.
Right you are, CR! This picture was identified as being from 1929, so it was either the lion named "Jackie" , or the one named "Telly".

Jackie was the first lion who roared; whereas Telly was the first one filmed in color. Evidently there have been 7, with the only one actually named "Leo" in use since 1957. It's interesting that he was the youngest of the lions used, hence his much shorter mane.

~Doc

Right you are, CR! This picture was identified as being from 1929, so it was either the lion named "Jackie" , or the one named "Telly".

Jackie was the first lion who roared; whereas Telly was the first one filmed in color. Evidently there have been 7, with the only one actually named "Leo" in use since 1957. It's interesting that he was the youngest of the lions used, hence his much shorter mane.

~Doc
I've noticed in some MGM movies that the lion has a very short mane. I can't upload photos until my internet gets fixed, so someone else can take my turn.

Never noticed that about the lion @Citizen Rules . You must be very observant. I' ll take your turn ( but I hope your internet gets fixed soon)

Never noticed that about the lion @Citizen Rules . You must be very observant. I' ll take your turn ( but I hope your internet gets fixed soon)
That's the painting of the signing of the Declaration of Independence by John Trumball - the five men standing on the left were the declaration committee (Adams, Sherman, Livingston, Jefferson & Franklin).
The painting was featured in the HBO "John Adams" series, as Adams (now at the end of his life) chastised the painter for the art's inaccuracy, as the signers were never all together at one historical moment to all line up for the signing, but rather, the document was signed by members of the Continental Congress over the course of many months.
Also... if memory serves correct, in the final shot of the movie 1776, the representatives are depicted approaching the Declaration and are arranged in positions to match the Trumball painting.

Wow! That's a great answer. I would have just taken "signing of the declaration" . Now that you mentioned it, I remember learning in school that it wasn't signed at the same time.

Take a turn CS ( in fact that answer was so good, if it were up to me, you could take two. )

Wow! That's a great answer. I would have just taken "signing of the declaration" . Now that you mentioned it, I remember learning in school that it wasn't signed at the same time.

Take a turn CS ( in fact that answer was so good, if it were up to me, you could take two. )
I was wrong about the ending of 1776 - it does end with a scene of the representatives lining up to sign the declaration, but the positioning in no way resembles the painting.