Rank the Mission Impossible Films

Tools    

With the newest Mission Impossible set to come out, I am curious to see how everyone ranks the Mission Impossible movies.

Here are my rankings from best to worst:
1. Mission Impossible (1996)
2. Mission Impossible Rogue Nation
3. Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol
4. Mission Impossible III
5. Mission Impossible II

I'm interested to see how good this newest one is!

3 is the only good one, the rest is garbage

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
1. Rogue Nation
2. Mission: Impossible 2
3. Mission: Impossible 3
4. Mission: Impossible
5. Ghost Protocol

I'm probably the only one who ranks 2 so high and Ghost Protocol so low

Mission: Impossible
Mission: Impossible 3
Mission: Impossible 2
Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol
Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation

- The first one is classic M:I stuff. When I first watched it, I had absolutely no idea what was going on. The story is tight with Ethan being set up, the action is perfect. I wasn't bothered by the thing with Jim (Voight) going rogue, as I never watched the original show. Plus, it ends with what is now the classic train/copter sequence.
- The 3rd movie is a solid actioner, and has some cool set pieces, and doesn't overstretch itself with loads of massive stunts and scenes. It plays it calm, with a huge rescue at the start, then goes into full story mode. I also like how the Rabbit's Foot is never explained.
- 2 is at least exciting in the action stakes, too much slow motion set pieces though from Woo. The story was cool though, a disease that can wipe out humanity, and I like how it's kept small scale between the good guys and the bad guys the same way that the 1st and 3rd movies were. It gives it a proper feel of being shadowy organisations, doing shadowy missions while the whole world just goes about its business in ignorant bliss.

I don't know why, but the 2 newer ones, Ghost and Rogue, just aren't on the same level as the first movies.
- Ghost Protocol... the Kremlin bomb, the Burj Khalifa scene and the auto-carpark at the end. It just seemed as though they were going for as many big scenes as possible with a briefcase that holds a nuclear button as the Macguffin
- Rogue Nation for me was kinda boring. I liked how they had The Syndicate involved, but overall the movie seemed to drag. Sitting here typing, I'm actually struggling to remember what was in the film... and I've actually watched it twice

Welcome to the human race...
Current ranking:
1. First. Been watching it on and off since it first came out so it's lodged in my brain in a way the others aren't. I'd ultimately say it's pretty good.
2. Fourth. Seen twice. Seems impressive enough because I skipped the third in theatres and only saw this one in theatres by accident so I was extra-surprised by how good it was (even though it's not great).
3. Fifth. Seen once, will need a second viewing to confirm if it's better than the fourth or not due to them having some very similar highs (great first- and second-act set-pieces) and lows (lacklustre third acts). As of right now, they're roughly equal.
4. Second. I'll admit it's not particularly good or anything, but like the first it's stuck in my head in a way that transcends objective badness. Besides, I have a soft spot for John Woo movies anyway.
5. Third. Only saw this once in the lead-up to the fifth and thought it was boring (PSH notwithstanding, of course). I may yet give it a second chance, though.

“I was cured, all right!”
M:I 2 ★★★★
M:I 1 ★★★★
M:I Fallout ★★★★
M:I Rogue Nation ★★★
M:I Ghost Protocol ★★
M:I 3 ★

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
1. Mission Impossible: This is the one spy film to me that feels like a spy film. De Palma elevates the material and it has one of the most memorable scenes in movie history.

2. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol: The one that brought in some cooler gadgets and the impossible Tom Cruise stunts. Maybe the most "slick" of the MI movies.

3. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation: Seen it only once but I remember liking it enough. The Opera sequence is staged extremely well. It took the Tom Cruise stunt expectation and made it the first thing to get it out of the way, throw our expectations off.

4. Mission Impossible 3: I don't hate this movie, it just seems unmemorable. PSH gives a stellar performance and is the best villain this series has seen.

5. Mission Impossible 2: All style an no substance. Feels overly long, with dumb sequences. I think I liked it as a kid when I had bad movie judgement. Would be willing to give another look when I look back on the series as a whole though.

Suspect's Reviews

My Ranking
1. Mission Impossible Fallout
2. Mission Impossible : Ghost Protocol
3. Mission Impossible : Rogue Nation
4. Mission Impossible III
5. Mission Impossible
6. Mission Impossible II

MI 2
MI 1

I found the subsequent movies to be very forgettable.. maybe they were slicker and more stylish but it doesn't really feel the same thing.

Psychopathic Psychiatrist
Too troublesome to rank them, but i swear GHOST PROTOCOL, FALLOUT and ROGUE NATION were highly entertaining.

M:I II was still entertaining, but also very stupid....and wtf was that thing with that totally dislikeable and very unfriendly female character Ethan was after the whole time????????? I mean, i´ve never seen that [censored] in any movie ever again and wonder if i am probably not the only one who doesn´t seem to be a fanboy of her.

Well then of course the first ever M:I was also kinda kewl.

And then....oh my....that third! It was a MEGA-STINKER in my opinion.