NOS4A2 (on AMC)

Tools    

"We’ve just learned that AMC is developing a TV series based on Joe Hill’s NOS4A2, the author’s third novel. It was published back in 2013.

The Wrap reports that AMC has opened up a writers’ room for the potential series, part of the network’s scripts-to-series model which “skips the pilot process and instead appoints groups of writers to develop a first season bible and write several episodes, after which AMC decides whether to grant a straight-to-series order
.”

Jami O’Brien will executive produce the series, which is an AMC Studios and Tornante Co-Production."

https://deadline.com/2018/07/nos4a2-...-j-1202421951/

"YouTube star Jahkara Smith (aka Sailor J) has signed on for a recurring role in AMC’s supernatural horror drama NOS4A2, based on the bestselling novel of the same name by Joe Hill. The project, produced by AMC Studios in association with Michael Eisner’s Tornante Television, was created by Jami O’Brien (Fear The Walking Dead, Hell On Wheels) who will serve as showrunner. It’s set for debut in 2019.

NOS4A2 introduces Vic McQueen, a young, working class artist who discovers she has a supernatural ability to track the seemingly immortal Charlie Manx. Manx feeds off the souls of children, then deposits what remains of them into Christmasland – a twisted Christmas Village of Manx’s imagination where every day is Christmas day and unhappiness is against the law. Vic must strive to defeat Manx and rescue his victims – without losing her mind or falling victim to him herself.

Smith will play Maggie Leigh, Iowa’s bubbly, purple-haired librarian with a Scrabble Bag portal to the universe.

Hill and O’Brien executive produce NOS4A2 along with Lauren Corrao, Co-President of Tornante Television."

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Got the book, but haven't read it yet. I enjoyed Hill's other work: Heart Shaped Box, thought it had good horror imagery. Hope to tackle this before the series gets going.

Suspect's Reviews

Got the book, but haven't read it yet. I enjoyed Hill's other work: Heart Shaped Box, thought it had good horror imagery. Hope to tackle this before the series gets going.
Heart-Shaped Box is the other one I've read by him. It was OK but at least I liked NOS4A2 more so I hope you'll enjoy it as well.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I enjoyed the film adaptation for Horns, but I haven't read any of Joe's work, (always meant to read Locke and Key) I like his style and the way he has found his own unique approach to genre elements that feels unique from his father's (Stephen King).

Finished this today. It's been a while since I read the book and initially I had a feeling that they've changed quite a bit but as it went on I kinda realized that I had just forgot much about the story. There are differences still (like we don't see young Vic at all and some of her adventures are just transferred to the teen aged version of her) but as a whole I'd say NOS4A2 is quite faithful adaptation.

I think the series was quite good (3.5 or 4 out of 5). Cummings was great as Vic, Manx and Bing were good and rest of the cast was OK. I was surprised that this was clearly made to be at least two seasons (was expecting a 10 episode mini series) but considering that the pacing was mostly fine it seems to be a good decision (at least assuming that there will be another season). Definite thumbs up from me

The Adventure Starts Here!
I've watched the first couple of episodes (having read the book when it first came out). As is also the case with Stephen King books (King is Joe Hill's dad), some of the inner turmoil of the characters is lost in translation to the screen. Any screen. Doesn't matter how faithful the adaptation is, what draws me to King's and Hill's books is that inner wrangling, the mind games. It's just so impossible to get that essence onto the screen.

But otherwise, I think the casting and the acting, etc., are fine. Not their fault that I dislike these adaptations generally.

I actually stopped watching after the first few episodes. Does it get better? And are they continuing with the book into a second season or are they branching out past the book's ending?

I actually stopped watching after the first few episodes. Does it get better? And are they continuing with the book into a second season or are they branching out past the book's ending?
I personally thought it was pretty good from the beginning so it's kinda hard to say if it gets better. I've read lots of complaints about it being too slow but I had no issues with the pacing either. I honestly don't get all the negativity the show's been getting (and that's coming from Mr. Negativity himself).

And as far as I remember the book there's well enough for another season. First season pretty much covers the young (kid + teen merged into one) Vic portion of the book and based on the ending the next season will have the adult Vic portion.

I personally thought it was pretty good from the beginning so it's kinda hard to say if it gets better. I've read lots of complaints about it being too slow but I had no issues with the pacing either. I honestly don't get all the negativity the show's been getting (and that's coming from Mr. Negativity himself).

And as far as I remember the book there's well enough for another season. First season pretty much covers the young (kid + teen merged into one) Vic portion of the book and based on the ending the next season will have the adult Vic portion.
I enjoyed the book enough to give it another try. I'll fire up the episodes with On Demand and see how they do back to back.

I finished the second (and last) season yesterday. It seems that my earlier prediction was pretty spot on, and the two seasons covered the book rather faithfully. They changed the ending though which is sort of an odd decision considering the lukewarm reception the show's got (the change was clearly made to leave room for more seasons - did they really expect to get more).

My opinion hasn't changed much during the last year and some. NOS4A2 is a good adaptation of a great book. The cast was great (especially Cummings), effects and visuals were good enough, and I liked the pacing (there were some minor issues in the second season). I think I'd rate the whole series at 3.5/5.