Spoiler etiquette for older films

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
In general, I'd NEVER spoil anything without warning a person about it. I've experienced enough Breaking Bad spoilers to understand the pain.

I mean that scene in The Arrival of a Train where...
WARNING: spoilers below
the train arrives
is absolutely insane!
Brilliant scene.And yes to that, epsecially for tv shows. You basically have to go on black out until you see the new episode. Magazines especially are notorious for dumping spoilers on the net within seconds of an episode hitting end credits on the east coast of USA. Ass clown interns who cant possibly be a day older than 13.!!!

movies can be okay...
I don't even know the ending of "Planet of the Apes".
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

I don't even know the ending of "Planet of the Apes".
Turns out Charlton Heston was a bad actor all along!

Oh wait, that's revealed in his first scene. I don't think i do either then.

Yeah, it's like openly talking about Fredo and then finding out that Citizen Rules only saw The Godfather part II a couple weeks ago!
Well I have yet to see Citizen Kane, which is in my pile of yet-to-be-watched movies so I hope @Citizen Rules doesn’t ruin the ending for me.

Well I have yet to see Citizen Kane, which is in my pile of yet-to-be-watched movies so I hope @Citizen Rules doesn’t ruin the ending for me.
WARNING: "Spoiler but you can still look" spoilers below
rosebud

@Citizen Rules, I bought the movie because of you. I’ve seen tiny snippets of it over the years & hated it. I am determined (when I get to it) to watch the entire thing & report back to you.

@Citizen Rules, I bought the movie because of you. I’ve seen tiny snippets of it over the years & hated it. I am determined (when I get to it) to watch the entire thing & report back to you.
Cool I hope you like it...Citizen Kane ended up destroying Orson's career. He did make more movies, but never again was he given carte blanche control over one of his films.

I was 90% through 'the Jinx', and told my mate "you have to see this show it is utterly incredible". And he goes:

WARNING: "The Jinx" spoilers below
"Oh is that the one where he talks to himself in the bathroom, and confesses to everything, as he doesn't know his microphone is still on?"

I was:

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Count me in on the group of people who have never seen Citizen Kane.
I've probably seen it but dont remember it.

@Citizen Rules, I didn’t know that. Briefly, why did it ruin his career? Was the movie always successful?
Like Mark said, it was Hearst who black-balled Welles. Hurst controlled most all of the news papers at that time and so very little advertising was done for Kane when it came out. The movie was a success with the critics but not as much with the audiences as it wasn't widely seen at the time. It then became an almost forgotten film until it became popular again some years later.

There's a superb, Oscar nominated documentary: The Battle over Citizen Kane (1995), which original aired on PBS's American Experience. The documentary is riveting, and heart breaking too. It tells of the battle between Welles and Hearst and of the men themselves. And it's this documentary that impressed me so much that I decided to always use Orson as my avatar. Even if you don't like the movie, I can guarantee that you will enjoy the documeanary.