Just how overrated is Dicaprio ? and his parallels with Chris Nolan

Tools    

Yeah, again, you can't cherry-pick from a million YouTube comments and extrapolate some industry-wide conspiracy, or whatever. If you regard this kind of thing as "concrete specific evidence," then there is "concrete specific evidence" of pretty much everything. You can find people talking in this absurd, over-the-top way about every major celebrity, without exception.

You also can't seamlessly transfer these examples to every theory or explanation you're trying to deduce from them, as if they were evidence of same. They are evidence only of the claim "some people overrate Leonardo DiCaprio," but they are in no way evidence of whatever psychological profile of the man you claim to be able to construct.

I also have no idea why you think actors can't have a "brand" if they don't take risks. That doesn't make a lick of sense to me. If anything, it seems completely backwards: the more you make a certain kind of film or take a certain kind of role, the more evident your "brand" as an actor is.

I also have no idea why you think actors can't have a "brand" if they don't take risks. That doesn't make a lick of sense to me. If anything, it seems completely backwards: the more you make a certain kind of film or take a certain kind of role, the more evident your "brand" as an actor is.
Yep, De Niro is frequently called an Auteur because he has a particular style of acting which became his own and often took similar roles. Taxi Driver is often called a film with four auteurs: Scorsese, Schrader, Hermann and De Niro.

Since my favorite film of all time is the epitome of the cult classic, I must disagree!

If not for having a fun evening chatting with MoFos in the Oscars chat, I wouldn't watch the awards at all. Awards are pretty much last on my list of why I watch a film.

Say, is there anyone on this site that thinks Leo is best actor of all time? Seems like there would be at least one if the issue was so widespread.
I just said its better to be an instant classic/well received at the time of release than a cult classic.
there are enough people who think that in order to make his movies 400 million $ hits. I have been around such people.

I just said its better to be an instant classic/well received at the time of release than a cult classic.
there are enough people who think that in order to make his movies 400 million $ hits. I have been around such people.
Why do you care how much a movie makes or how much it resonates with the public? The film isn't going to evaporate if it doesn't reach a certain benchmark. Think you're way too preoccupied with the commercial side of the industry which really has no bearing on quality.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
It has to do with herd mentality. Take a look at this image.
https://ibb.co/if302S

More specifically take a look at this image.
https://ibb.co/fdQoNS
I don't even know this person. The snap shot is of a youtube comment on a video about DiCaprio and Django unchained. This guy must be around my age. 14-22 yrs. This is him describing that scene about DiCaprio accidentally cutting his hand. Look at how he is bragging about DiCaprio rubbing his hand on some actresses face. What must be going on in his head..when he is writing this comment. "You are the greatest..Leonardo dicaprio...you are the man"... "DiCaprio is such a great actor"..firstly this person doesnt even know what acting is..or filmmaking is..he might not even know how clever marketing works...but all he knows is this movie made him feel something and since Dicaprios character looks badass and does some misogynistic stuff "he is cool"..you can see this guy idolizing DiCaprio with that one sentence..."he went off script" "he improvised"..he is almost selling his performance for him...do you know how many movies have improvisations/Acting getting hurt but still keeps going on....I can think of one...JACKASS.

This comment is not just one persons opinion..its the opinion of sizable amount of movie fans..sizable enough to make 400 million $ for a movie...this fandom is only found in star wars or chris nolan or MCU. Those people earn it and don't over do it...something like Dunkirk or Inception will not work if not for Chris Nolan...so if fans of those movies are supporting him then so be it...he deserves the respect...Star wars and MCU get the exact praise they deserve. The problem with someone like Dicaprio getting the same intense fandom as those other entities i mentioned above is that film is directors medium not actors medium and actor can't be a brand. There are lot of factors that just dont add up...for an actor to be a brand you have to not take certain risks(I have already told it).He is an actor and for him to maintain such a brand he needs to be PICKED. Directors need not..they are the boss and moreover his campaign for oscars 2016 is one the most blatant desperate pathetic attempt at getting oscar. Whatever happened to performance should speak for itself.

My intention is to just make a case against herd mentality especially when the case against the perceived truth is so strong..someone had to make it. I am just interrogating this whole "greatest actor ever" notion that so many people claim him to be. I am not particularly interested in changing opinions. The fact that there is concrete specific evidence to back my claims hold some water.
Thanks for the response.

I get the emotion in what you are describing. I used to feel a lot of hatred for the band Nickelback, in the 90s for similar reasons. I guess. They were successful, all over the airwaves, and they absolutely sucked (IMO of what a musician/band should be). In my view, there were reasonable variations of what was "good," even if I personally did not like the musician or style I could appreciate the talent. Nickelback, however, fell well outside that personal bracketing of good and talented. Still though, I can now recognize that while that band did not at all touch my standards, many people did---for other standards.

I guess that's where the issue is. At its heart, the argument is rooted in emotional subjectivity, dismissing the subjectivity (and at times, objectivity) of other views. I believe it is totally acceptable that you do not like Dicaprio. He has been hit or miss for me through his career. The Basketball Diaries, The Beach, Shutter Island, and Inception are hard to watch for me. J. Edger and Body of Lies were average IMO, but fine to watch. With that said, there are many roles that I thoroughly enjoyed from him.

I think your fight is with the public in general. Unfortunately, the debate has slipped away from how a broad audience (in general) views an actor to your own personal opinion of the actor. That's what it seems to me that people are picking up on at least. I guess I'm criticizing the tactic and ease of which the goal posts have moved page to page.

I'm not sure you will ever be able to create or happen upon an island on which you can maintain a personally purist view such as the one I'm picking up reading this thread.

All that aside though, you have invented an evil against which you stand. Because many perceive him as "the greatest actor ever," that does not mean that all people do, or that that perception defines a universal truth. It is all still grounded in opinion. As is your concrete specific evidence, by the way. All opinion within the vacuum of each case. And while you can cite rational examples to make your cases, it is still very irrational to dismiss other, equally compelling, arguments to the contrary.

People have different opinions for a very wide variety of reasons. Period. And that's just something you eventually learn to live with. That, or climb a clock tower one day in a psychotic break due to the inability to accommodate for the variance in the subjective opinions of others.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
He's been called one of the best actors of his generation, but I've never really heard anyone call him the greatest ever.

Thanks for the response.

I get the emotion in what you are describing. I used to feel a lot of hatred for the band Nickelback, in the 90s for similar reasons. I guess. They were successful, all over the airwaves, and they absolutely sucked (IMO of what a musician/band should be). In my view, there were reasonable variations of what was "good," even if I personally did not like the musician or style I could appreciate the talent. Nickelback, however, fell well outside that personal bracketing of good and talented. Still though, I can now recognize that while that band did not at all touch my standards, many people did---for other standards.
I know you weren't exactly comparing them but i think it should be pointed out this is much more reasonable than having a burning hatred like the op does for a popular actor. A band's popularity could force you having to hear them in stores or wherever, there really isn't an equivalent where you'd be forced into watching a Leo movie unless you have like one channel or something and even then you could switch the tv off haha. I also personally don't see Leo forced on the public in that way anyway, you'd be much more likely to get hit with an Arnie movie or something in my experience. Alot of his films are seen as pretty boring by the general public again in my own experience.

Ooooh no, I had (have!) A deep loathing for the group. I believe Dante miscounted the levels of hell, in that the one reserved for Nickelback was probably still under construction at the time.

having a burning hatred like the op does for a popular actor....
sometimes it takes extensive effort when going against popular opinion..if you values your opinions.

there really isn't an equivalent where you'd be forced into watching a Leo movie unless you have like one channel or something and even then you could switch the tv off haha. I also personally don't see Leo forced on the public in that way anyway, you'd be much more likely to get hit with an Arnie movie or something in my experience. Alot of his films are seen as pretty boring by the general public again in my own experience.
how do you think you know Leo cut his hand when shooting dinner scene in django ? thats called marketing..if they hadnt told that...people would have never guessed he really cut his hand..show dont tell is the mantra.

how do you think you know Leo cut his hand when shooting dinner scene in django ? thats called marketing..if they hadnt told that...people would have never guessed he really cut his hand..show dont tell is the mantra.
Surely you meant to quote someone else here? This has absolutely nothing to do with anything i said.

Also anecdotes like that get told constantly it's not unique to Leo, like Leto or DDL staying in character to ridiculous lengths for example. There was even a similar one with Channing Tatum really cutting his head in Foxcatcher.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
It has to do with herd mentality. Take a look at this image.
https://ibb.co/if302S

More specifically take a look at this image.
https://ibb.co/fdQoNS
I don't even know this person. The snap shot is of a youtube comment on a video about DiCaprio and Django unchained. This guy must be around my age. 14-22 yrs.
Oh bless you, aron. Hold on to that passion of yours with a kung fu grip, honey. The planet needs it. Just please remember one little piece of advice from a stranger on the net (or dont. It's up to you)- people rarely give enough context in writing. You (and I) dont have crystal balls. We dont know what another person is actually thinking when we read their throw away lines on the net. But if you choose to think we're all mindless sheep for liking an actor and the way he portrays characters on screen, that's your right as well.

Disclaimer: I love sheep!

That, or it was just a great anecdote to tell.
It could go either way really.

Oh bless you, aron. Hold on to that passion of yours with a kung fu grip, honey. The planet needs it. Just please remember one little piece of advice from a stranger on the net (or dont. It's up to you)- people rarely give enough context in writing. You (and I) dont have crystal balls. We dont know what another person is actually thinking when we read their throw away lines on the net. But if you choose to think we're all mindless sheep for liking an actor and the way he portrays characters on screen, that's your right as well.

Disclaimer: I love sheep!
I think you meant the planet has too much of it.

"Show, don't tell" is a mantra about filmmaking, it has absolutely no relationship to telling stories about the production.

There's a lot of little throw-ins like this that really don't have anything to do with your main point and make the whole DiCaprio thing seem weirdly and inexplicably personal.

Also i seriously doubt anyone went to see the film coz they found out Leo really cut his hand
Lol Cam. To tell you a secret, This ole sheep saw the movie 16 times before I even heard that behind the scenes story about him cutting his hand. And guess what (I'm pretty sure you already know this) lots of accidents on film sets.

I do get where aron is coming from, though.

I do get where aron is coming from, though.
I don't really, his arguments have been inconsistent and contradictory. His arguments have frequently collapsed at the slightest prodding and he just shelves it to return later without acknowledging prior arguments against it which is annoying to me.

I mean earlier he mentioned DDL as the greatest actor. Everyone knows the story of DDL going to town in real life as Bill The Butcher and getting into fights, it's the same sort of thing as the Leo anecdote but it's somehow different because it applies to Leo.

For sure. I'm thinking more of how I was exactly the same at his/her age. I think you'll understand what I mean when I say this - My thinking changed a hell of a lot in the last month.

For sure. I'm thinking more of how I was exactly the same at his/her age. I think you'll understand what I mean when I say this -

My thinking changed a hell of a lot in the last month.
Dani, can I ask you why your thinking changed in the last month? You can PM me if you don't want to post why.