The Martial Arts Thread

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
Anyone experienced in the ways of martial arts? My friend and I want to take up lessons. I'm wondering if I'm too fat and out of shape right now though.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Let the night air cool you off
My friend is being 'trained' by a dude who claims he knows his Kung-Fu right now. I'm skeptical of everything so it's most likely just me but yeah that guy doesn't know his kung-fu in my opinion.
If you think he's phony, he's probably phony. It's not as big as a problem as it was back in the dark ages of before the internet, but fake black belts still exist and rip people off.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Crazy capoeira. Maybe in my next life. Stunning video.

Has anyone tried Krav Maga? That might suit Swanny. I've met some Israelis who do this and one in particular is the scariest guy I've ever come across even though he looked like he couldnt hurt a fly and was smaller than me. Lovely guy but he told me some horrifying stories eg beating the sht out of guerillas in Colombia who kidnapped him for ransom. Might have been fictionalised but somehow I didnt doubt him. His mother also confirmed it.

I see what you're saying now, and you're not the only one to diss wing chun, but that is, as you noted, a practice stance and the hands to the side is only for the forms. It certainly isn't how wing chun teaches someone to fight. In fact one of the strengths of wing chun is an emphasis on a good defensive stance and teaching the student to have sensitive hands . . . by sensitive I mean the ability to react to any sort of contact. A good wing chun student taught the right way will have exceptional balance and quick reaction times to any type of engagement. Wing chun is a close-in style of fighting. A wing chun student wants that contact with an opponent as it's where they excel.

But of course it's not for everyone. Wing chun is based on a few core ideas (such as protecting the center line and such) that some latch onto, which is why I think you'll see in a typical wing chun school those students who are far more interested in the intellectual side of wing chun than the practical application side, more so than you would see in say a karate school. I assume you encountered chi sao, which is totally unique to wing chun. A dedicated student will practice chi sao for probably thousands of hours during their lifetime of studying wing chun, and thus they will have excellent hand coordination and reaction time. Again, some students will never take the next step of actual sparring or fine tuning their skills to test what works and what doesn't, but if you have the right sifu and you seek out other students with the same focus as you, you can get a lot out of wing chun.

But like any martial arts, a lot depends on the school you go to and the time you're willing to put into it.
I can respect that. One thing that had impressed me was the stillness after the instructor’s sudden movements. It’s definitely an art. Nicely put.

Has anyone tried Krav Maga? That might suit Swanny. I've met some Israelis who do this and one in particular is the scariest guy I've ever come across even though he looked like he couldnt hurt a fly and was smaller than me. Lovely guy but he told me some horrifying stories eg beating the sht out of guerillas in Colombia who kidnapped him for ransom. Might have been fictionalised but somehow I didnt doubt him. His mother also confirmed it.
I had some interest in it a while back. It looks effective, and yes, it's known for being the IDF's militant martial art. I'm guessing that the Israeli KM training is far more intense than a local dojo though. It's entirely 'self-defense,' wherein groin shots, eye gouges, and stuff are encouraged, and an emphasis is placed on weapon defense.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Looks pretty hard core, that's for sure. My concern would be a thug element but I dont know as I've never been in a KM gym in my city.

Looks pretty hard core, that's for sure. My concern would be a thug element but I dont know as I've never been in a KM gym in my city.
Well, I'd have to assume that most gyms like to put the kibosh on that sort of thing. They have to run a business, so a friendly atmosphere is desired by most. That goes for martial arts in general. Unsavory characters are usually driven out for the sake of people that actually want to learn.

I am interested in learning discipline, and also I think most importantly I am looking toward martial arts as a good way to get active. Getting on a treadmill or stationary bike for an hour a day is a huge challenge for me, because it's so... dull, you know? I feel like martial arts would be a good way to motivate me to stay active, and give me something that is a bit more enjoyable than just using a treadmill. I'm not that knowledgable about martial arts at all right now, but any other benefits that come with it are great too.

I'm leaning towards Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. JJ recommended it and has been a lot of help to me figuring this all out personally, and after seeing re93animator recommend it also, I might go with it. Honestly there are a lot of styles and I don't know where to begin, I might just dive right in and learn by getting involved.

Why learn Martial Arts? Just buy one of these bad boys!

Of course, why not take the best of both worlds - become a martial arts expert who utilizes a super soaker into the mix!

KEE-YI *spray* KAPOW

I am interested in learning discipline, and also I think most importantly I am looking toward martial arts as a good way to get active. Getting on a treadmill or stationary bike for an hour a day is a huge challenge for me, because it's so... dull, you know? I feel like martial arts would be a good way to motivate me to stay active, and give me something that is a bit more enjoyable than just using a treadmill. I'm not that knowledgable about martial arts at all right now, but any other benefits that come with it are great too.

I'm leaning towards Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. JJ recommended it and has been a lot of help to me figuring this all out personally, and after seeing re93animator recommend it also, I might go with it. Honestly there are a lot of styles and I don't know where to begin, I might just dive right in and learn by getting involved.
It's definitely a fitness program plus so much more - it is (or can be) a sport and an art - it's an entire package.
It can be a life-changing move: fitness, discipline, self-control, confidence, learned relaxation, anxiety & stress reduction, new social network, ability to defend oneself & others, a new or expanded philosophy on life, etc.

I know what you mean. I get bored from repetition as well. I begrudgingly force myself to weight train, and drilling should be very prevalent in any martial art you go with, but sparring/rolling is where the fun & work comes in. I've seen quite a few people lose weight doing BJJ classes, and it definitely keeps myself in shape. Whatever you go with, I recommend going into a gym and just watching a class or two before committing. Finding the right environment and friendly training partners is obviously paramount (and make sure they emphasize mat sanitation).

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Throughout my years, I've dabbled in Shotokan Karate, Taekwondo, Krav Maga, and Kickboxing. I'm not exactly in great shape, but it helps my cardio and I would love to try Wing Chun next...at 38, I want to try something along the lines of that