Guaporense's live action thread

→ in
Tools    

No why? Flat contradiction is meaningless.

The problem is that I cannot even give my opinion regarding some mediocre movies that the xenophobe rednecks already jump at me like a pack of mongrel dogs. This type of behavior is even criminalized in some countries.

I guess I should start defending myself a little more. Even though this is absurd: I cannot even review movies in peace in my own thread now! Why? Because I don't share their xenophobic cultural values!

And people wonder why Trump is so popular... The rejection and hostility I get here is reflective of the general xenophobia present in the US white population that's supporting people like him to kick out the "foreigners".
This is a silly, angry tangent unrelated to the point I was making that doesn't address it in any way. And if you're going to accuse everyone of having "xenophobic cultural values," it probably shouldn't be in the same post you generalize about everyone's political preferences and race just because they don't like anime as much as you do.

As usual, whatever point you might have gets buried underneath massive overstatement, clumsy generalizations, and a wildly disproportionate responses to criticism. Try disagreeing without those things, and I'll bet you'll find this supposed "xenophobia" vanishes.

I am just explaining why one doesn't need to know all Hollywood movies to claim he has watched the best Hollywood movies.
Yes, they do. This is another cause of criticism: the dubious application of math to situations where it has little applicability, to give it the veneer of empiricism. On what basis do you claim the quality of these films is linear, for example? Clearly there's going to be some level of diminishing returns, but how do you adjust for the increased output of total entertainment, given that it increases while your available viewing time does not? How about controlling for improved curation algorithms, which increase the likelihood of finding the things an individual is likely to love?

Also, based on your own logic, wouldn't this mean that you should actually switch back to Hollywood films once you've watched a certain amount of anime, because your chances of finding highly enjoyable things there will inevitably be higher if you spend more time with one than the other?

This is without even getting into how much of what one enjoys is ultimately choice, rather than genuine discovery. You now have a strong emotional stake in enjoying anime more than you did before you argued about its merits on the Internet for long periods of time, and it's not unreasonable to think that spending more time with a genre can increase one's affinity for it (or even the opposite, potentially). The idea that your viewing habits are dispassionate and statistical doesn't hold water, especially when considering the mother-bear-defending-her-cubs level rhetorical frenzy that has occasionally befallen people who have criticized your favorite stories.

There's a big difference between saying "here's what I like and why" and saying "here's what I like, and I like it for inarguably rational reasons, and if you argue with me you're probably a xenophobe."

Originally Posted by Yoda
Also, based on your own logic, wouldn't this mean that you should actually switch back to Hollywood films once you've watched a certain amount of anime, because your chances of finding highly enjoyable things there will inevitably be higher if you spend more time with one than the other?
Hadn't thought of that.

My point there was just to give an example of a visually inventive TV show to explain that some TV shows can be as visually inventive as any movies released for theater.
Yeah... I was kinda bringing in from other times you've talked about PMMM. I guess it was a broad generalisation about multiple points you've made over time.

Although, a friend of mine mentioned that it is kind of hard to compare across media like that, from live-action to animation. I'm inclined to agree with him because of how different techniques are used and how broad visual technique really is.

I am just explaining why one doesn't need to know all Hollywood movies to claim he has watched the best Hollywood movies. (Substitute Hollywood movies for music, books, European movies, Japanese movies, you name it).
Still, you have to admit, at first glance it seems pretty hard to take a claim like that seriously. I don't know though. I looked up the Hollywood studios and I looked at a list of 2015 movies and finally I just gave up trying to find any good ones by Hollywood studios. All the ones I've seen that were good, or that I haven't seen that look good (I mean that aren't obvious crap like Mission Impossible) are indie productions or foreign. The best looking 2015 Hollywood movies to me are movies like Joy, Inside Out, and The Martian, none of which I have any desire to see.

Would something like Regency Enterprises be considered Hollywood? They're on the 20th Century Fox lot. They produced 12 Years a Slave and Birdman. I haven't seen 12 Years a Slave, but it looks good. Birdman was great!

I'm not really sure if "Hollywood" only applies to the top companies or everything in the neighborhood, or what exactly...

I know we've got Walt Disney, Warner Bros., Fox, Sony (since apparently they own Columbia Pictures), Universal, and Paramount. What about Lions Gate and MGM?

Anyway, none of those companies made anything I have any interest in watching in the last year, and I can't recall the last time I enjoyed a Hollywood movie. There are some that I love, like Predator, The Terminator, Alien. But it doesn't look like they're producing anything worth watching lately. Personally I wouldn't really rule them out completely. You never know. But generally I don't take any issue with people who say Hollywood is garbage and even hate on it constantly, because those people usually actually do appreciate better movies. The only person I know in person who I really consider my superior when it comes to film has two catch phrases, "American crap," and "Hollywood crap." Whenever I ask him about some Hollywood movie he tells me to F*** off. Even the original Star Wars trilogy he has only watched the first one and parts of the others and said they were retarded. Even though I loved the original Star Wars trilogy I wouldn't brag about any technical achievements besides special effects and progressing the Sci-fi genre. I'm not phased when people say it's crap. It's the people who get up in arms in defense of Hollywood films that I'm skeptical of. If they have decent taste it's usually pilfered with loads of Hollywood crap. Even the few people I know in person who's taste in film I do respect and will watch movies with occasionally invite me to go see crap like Deadpool and praise movies like Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

I joined this forum back in 2012 because I was moving to the US (the reason was that the US has better facilities than Brazil for the type of research I am doing) and I decided to get to know American culture.

What I learned since is that Anglophobes (US, UK, Canada, Australia, etc) live insulated from non-anglophobe culture and are not really aware of that. I love Anglophone culture (more than Brazilian culture), but I never expected that these people to be so tremendously insulated to the point of being scared of foreign culture while also not being aware that it works under different aesthetic principles and judging it from Anglophone perspective is plain wrong.
I can't help but wonder though, how much of what you attribute to racism or xenophobia is actually just people criticising or verbally attacking you personally for other reasons (like they're just a dick, or they just don't like you) that have nothing to do with your culture or their culture? I've noticed that a lot of black people attribute to racism just general selfish, mean, or douche things that people do to each other all the time. Like if someone is a dick to me, I just think they're a dick or they don't like me. But if the same person does the same thing to a black person they might make some comment about the person being racist. I mean, especially in terms of your anime taste. I don't think it's because of xenophobia that so many westerners find Anime to be weird and over generalise about it and write it off. I think it's more of a general ignorance and not being familiar with the medium, not so much a cultural issue. Like, I'm sure the same people would probably think Iranian music is awful, but without thinking about the fact that there's Iranian music in pretty much every genre and probably some that they'll like. Also a lot of people just don't take animation seriously because they think cartoons are for kids. I guess that's a cultural issue, because in Western culture animation is usually targeted towards children. But I think it's more that barrier of people just looking at something like this:

Cringing, and then when hearing about Akira thinking to themselves, "No thanks, that's okay. I'm not into anime."

At the same time though... There is a whole anime section in almost every HMV and most other shops that sell movies. Comic book stores have manga sections. Anime is actually so prevelant where I live. I can go out to any kind of event or gathering and find people to talk about anime with. I talk about anime with some of my co-workers and all of my friends. I don't get a sense that there's some cultural barrier that keeps people from appreciating anime. I think people treat anime the same way they treat rap music. Lots of people love it, and lots of people hate it. Sometimes there are cultural reasons, but often it just comes down to personal taste and whether they're open or closed to trying it. And then if they don't like what they initially find, they may not be willing to explore it deeper, or maybe they slowly will and eventually one day they'll find that entry point and get into it.

Man of Steel (2013)

Reason for watching: A film directed by the great Zack Snyder. So I wanted to see what he could do with over 200 million dollars of production budget.

Review: Snyder is one of the most talented directors working today. His 300 is a modern classic, an innovative film combining 3D animation and live action shoots to recreate stylized historical events. Essentially bringing comic books to life. Its a great movie in its own right and I had it in my top 200 favorite movies list: its the distillation of machismo in film as well as a celebration of the achievements of Western civilization.

Another masterpiece of comic book adaptation is Snyder's own Watchnen, adapted from one of the best comics I ever read, its a fantastic film in its own right, a great deconstruction of the superhero genre.

However, Man of Steel is neither of those movies and is the worst Snyder movie I ever watched, even worse than Sucker Punch. While Sucker Punch was pretty much a movie without much substance it was still very cool and highly stylized, essentially artistic in its endeavors. Man of Steel, by contrast, is a by the numbers Hollywood blockbuster movie, one that feels completely souless and devoid of any interesting artistic/stylistic elements.

Its plot is highly derivative and feels pretty much like a generic superhero film, it is not a film worth watching for someone who is not a fan of these superhero movies. I personally find it puzzling how popular the genre is today, because superhero comics are not popular among the general population of the Western countries. Anyway, in terms of execution I give this movie high marks, its professionally made and of high quality of cinematography and direction. But it's lacking soul and innovation, being artistically dead, just a pure commercial product, something highly disappointing coming from Snyder who directed two of my favorite movies a few years before.

Yes, they do. This is another cause of criticism: the dubious application of math to situations where it has little applicability, to give it the veneer of empiricism. On what basis do you claim the quality of these films is linear, for example? Clearly there's going to be some level of diminishing returns, but how do you adjust for the increased output of total entertainment, given that it increases while your available viewing time does not? How about controlling for improved curation algorithms, which increase the likelihood of finding the things an individual is likely to love?
I would say that your second argument is more decent, the first is not because Hollywood doesn't produce much in a couple of months which is the time it takes to watch all the best Hollywood movies.

However I believe my algorithm is already very very good because the diminishing returns come very very fast. I watch things based on their high level of regard by people who are into movies and so I notice that there remains very few if any Hollywood movies I haven't watched that could possibly top my favorites, the last Hollywood movie that became a favorite of mine was All Quiet in the Western Front (1930) that I didn't watch before because I though it was too old.

All the other Hollywood movies in my top 10 Hollywood movies I watched at least 5 years ago. Most of my top 25 anime I watched in a period of 12 months. This means that I was very efficient in searching for stuff. Also, I would say I am a mainstream guy who likes the mainstream popular stuff more than the obscure stuff, so that it's rather easy for me to find my favorites in the mediums that I explore: my favorite videogame is Starcraft which is like the most influential RTS game ever, my favorite Hollywood movie is 2001, which is the most influential science fiction movie ever, my favorite anime film is Nausicaa, which is the most influential animated film ever made.

This makes it very hard for me go find stuff to top these favorites: Hollywood is probably never going to make sci fi as good as 2001, there probably will be not be another Miyazaki in animation that revolutionized animation like he did in the next several decades at least.

Madoka also is like UBER popular among animation nerds. Its indeed a stellar masterpiece. While Haibane Renmei was the highest ranking anime title of the decade in a poll made from 50 animation blogs top lists. Which means that my personal taste tends to be extremely adherent to the orthodox critical consensus of stuff.

In fact, in a movie rating site called critiker the user who had the closest tastes to mine was the "average of all users in critiker".

Yes.

And that's what I am doing. In 2013-2014 I didn't watch almost any Hollywood movies, now I am watching more. Although now I switched to manga, which is another medium to explore. Now I watch Hollywood movies mostly because of big budget special effects and I watch anime because I like watching cute characters doing cute things.

The last great anime I watched was Full metal Alchemist back in January, which I didn't watch before because I had prejudice against it because there was a remake I watched before which I though made it irrelevant to watch the original, however, the original is even better.

And when I want something really great I read manga now. Manga is such a huge creative medium, its like popular music or literature in the west: its masterpieces far outnumber live action movies or animation.

This is without even getting into how much of what one enjoys is ultimately choice, rather than genuine discovery. You now have a strong emotional stake in enjoying anime more than you did before you argued about its merits on the Internet for long periods of time, and it's not unreasonable to think that spending more time with a genre can increase one's affinity for it (or even the opposite, potentially). The idea that your viewing habits are dispassionate and statistical doesn't hold water, especially when considering the mother-bear-defending-her-cubs level rhetorical frenzy that has occasionally befallen people who have criticized your favorite stories.
Then why I am enjoying anime less after I joined this nest of rednecks?

I would say that now I cannot enjoy cinema in general the way I did before because now I feel all the tension caused by these personal insults, both when I watch live action of animation. Before I joined this forum I could enjoy cinema much more than now, i coukd really relax anf enjoy something in a very personal way, now I am much more self conscious of anything I watch.

Now I am mostly reading books (novels and manga) things I can enjoy objectively because I never have fough with idiots on the internet about books (yet):

I was watching 30-40 movies per month before I joined this forum, now it's 5-6. Thanks to these rednecks who don't know how to deal with a person of a different cultural background, cinema is dead for me.

There's a big difference between saying "here's what I like and why" and saying "here's what I like, and I like it for inarguably rational reasons, and if you argue with me you're probably a xenophobe."
There is a big difference between disliking something and being an ignorant redneck who has not the cultural background to understand it. What I noticed here is that people without the required cultural background dismiss entire artistic worlds while insulting other people who have the proper cultural background to understand these works of art.

All my favorite anime and manga are like my favorite Hollywood movies: highly popular and influential in their respective cultural spheres. The lack of respect and understanding people here have about the existence of these cultural spheres that makes me upset as well as their arrogance when consuming something from another culture without trying to talk to the cultural product using the language it chooses to talk to its consumer.

Now, there is no such thing as objectve tastes, however, I find pretty easy to understand the people's reactions here to the movies they watch and why they like of dislike something.

Still, you have to admit, at first glance it seems pretty hard to take a claim like that seriously. I don't know though. I looked up the Hollywood studios and I looked at a list of 2015 movies and finally I just gave up trying to find any good ones by Hollywood studios. All the ones I've seen that were good, or that I haven't seen that look good (I mean that aren't obvious crap like Mission Impossible) are indie productions or foreign. The best looking 2015 Hollywood movies to me are movies like Joy, Inside Out, and The Martian, none of which I have any desire to see.
I am a mainstream guy who likes mainstream big budget movies. So it's harder for me to find gems than you who is a more indie movie guy.

Would something like Regency Enterprises be considered Hollywood? They're on the 20th Century Fox lot. They produced 12 Years a Slave and Birdman. I haven't seen 12 Years a Slave, but it looks good. Birdman was great!

I'm not really sure if "Hollywood" only applies to the top companies or everything in the neighborhood, or what exactly...
The American movies with a budget over 1 million dollars and American movies made by the big eight movie studios mostly overlap and these are the movies that I call Hollywood. They number about 150-160 movies a year out of the 800 movies made by the US every year.

Anyway, none of those companies made anything I have any interest in watching in the last year, and I can't recall the last time I enjoyed a Hollywood movie. There are some that I love, like Predator, The Terminator, Alien. But it doesn't look like they're producing anything worth watching lately. Personally I wouldn't really rule them out completely. You never know. But generally I don't take any issue with people who say Hollywood is garbage and even hate on it constantly, because those people usually actually do appreciate better movies. The only person I know in person who I really consider my superior when it comes to film has two catch phrases, "American crap," and "Hollywood crap." Whenever I ask him about some Hollywood movie he tells me to F*** off. Even the original Star Wars trilogy he has only watched the first one and parts of the others and said they were retarded. Even though I loved the original Star Wars trilogy I wouldn't brag about any technical achievements besides special effects and progressing the Sci-fi genre. I'm not phased when people say it's crap. It's the people who get up in arms in defense of Hollywood films that I'm skeptical of. If they have decent taste it's usually pilfered with loads of Hollywood crap. Even the few people I know in person who's taste in film I do respect and will watch movies with occasionally invite me to go see crap like Deadpool and praise movies like Terminator 2: Judgement Day.
I like most mainstream big budget Hollywood movies. I am not elitist. My point about xenophobia and rednecks is the personal attacks I constantly receive from some individuals here.

I can't help but wonder though, how much of what you attribute to racism or xenophobia is actually just people criticising or verbally attacking you personally for other reasons (like they're just a dick, or they just don't like you) that have nothing to do with your culture or their culture?
Examples of personal attacks against me: The Usual Suspect said that I wasn't able to run the science fiction HoF because I was "obsessed with anime", Gatsby said that the type of people who like K-On! Like Guaporense are f*ked up weirdoes, Harry Lime said to me that I would have loved Fargo if it were animated and made in Japan, clearly claiming I was biased toward anime, Mark F in this thread right now say it would be a good thing If I killed myself after making some small criticism of a couple of mediocre Hollywood movies. Seanc talked to me like I was some immature kid because I was trying to educate these rednecks on K-On!, Deadite insulted me because I also disliked Fargo and also insulted the whole medium of Japanese animation just after, DonnieDarko called me immature repeadly because I can appreciate Nausicaa, I can go on and on.

And these ignorant fools don't even know me, they have no idea of myself and who I am. This is not because they are dicks or that they don't like my person since they have no idea who I am.

Clearly, the reason why they attack me and dislike me is because I don't hold the same "cultural values" as they do: " Hollywood = God, Foreign stuff = inferior garbage that only biased people like". Its simply disgusting idiotic racism agaist foreigners like me and foreign culture from these individuals. I feel deeply disturbed from ever remembering it. And some people think this ok and that it's normal to be insulted if I criticise their favorite movies. No, its not ok, people should be minimaly civilized.

Well, in the end is my fault for not realizing that I was talking of ignorant xenophobes and that there is no dialogue with these people. I should just ignore them and recognize they have no hope of salvation.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm sorry Guap if my attempts at levity (a joke) make you feel uncomfortable and an outsider because they're supposed to do the opposite. I'll admit that the way you use facts and figures to try to explain your feelings can make you appear to not have those feelings, so again I apologize for anything I did which made you feel unwanted or showed disrespect of your feelings.

Guap, sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask in, but what is your opinion of The Tale of the Princess Kaguya? I recently bought it and would love to know what you think.

Guap, sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask in, but what is your opinion of The Tale of the Princess Kaguya? I recently bought it and would love to know what you think.
I just looked that up and that looks neat actually.

Examples of personal attacks against me: The Usual Suspect said that I wasn't able to run the science fiction HoF because I was "obsessed with anime", Gatsby said that the type of people who like K-On! Like Guaporense are f*ked up weirdoes, Harry Lime said to me that I would have loved Fargo if it were animated and made in Japan, clearly claiming I was biased toward anime, Mark F in this thread right now say it would be a good thing If I killed myself after making some small criticism of a couple of mediocre Hollywood movies. Seanc talked to me like I was some immature kid because I was trying to educate these rednecks on K-On!, Deadite insulted me because I also disliked Fargo and also insulted the whole medium of Japanese animation just after, DonnieDarko called me immature repeadly because I can appreciate Nausicaa, I can go on and on.

And these ignorant fools don't even know me, they have no idea of myself and who I am. This is not because they are dicks or that they don't like my person since they have no idea who I am.

Clearly, the reason why they attack me and dislike me is because I don't hold the same "cultural values" as they do: " Hollywood = God, Foreign stuff = inferior garbage that only biased people like". Its simply disgusting idiotic racism agaist foreigners like me and foreign culture from these individuals. I feel deeply disturbed from ever remembering it. And some people think this ok and that it's normal to be insulted if I criticise their favorite movies. No, its not ok, people should be minimaly civilized.

Well, in the end is my fault for not realizing that I was talking of ignorant xenophobes and that there is no dialogue with these people. I should just ignore them and recognize they have no hope of salvation.
Well, I haven't seen anyone say anything to you that sounded racist or xenophobic. I've seen some harsh things said to you, most of which I didn't read because it was unbearable and not directed at me. But I've criticised other people, and other people have criticised me. MovieGal got pretty upset over the dislike for her trashy horror movies right? Wasn't that a bit of a scandal? I'd say it's pretty much the same as that. But I've also seen you dish it right back at people. I think it's more just people not liking you because of the anime you like and made them watch. I don't know. Honestly I would just ignore them, and I wouldn't generalise to that extent either. Maybe you're focusing on the negative too much. There's a lot of Europeans here and non-Americans. I think also I've noticed people make some cheeky prods at you and normally people just take them playfully, maybe prod back a bit, and it's kind of fun. Like with Camo a couple pages back. But you took his prod pretty rough. Sometimes when that happens people just don't even bother to say that they were just joking because they're annoyed by how offended the other person got.

I'm really bad at ignoring people when I should, and I'm prone to emotional outbursts that I always end up regretting. But I do make a point of avoiding certain people (even though I do still run into them and keep butting heads with them). I don't read their threads (much), and even if they write a lengthy post to me, I might completely ignore it. You can't change other people and convince them that they should appreciate anime. Just observe and keep your secrets inside you and cherish them, and only share them with people who will appreciate them. Let the ignorant be ignorant. Even if you address their ignorance, they'll just take offence and try to call you ignorant.

Originally Posted by Zotis
Well, I haven't seen anyone say anything to you that sounded racist or xenophobic. I've seen some harsh things said to you,
I've criticized both you guys. It's always been for how you present information though, it's not because of who you are or where you from or even what you like.

I've deleted one of of Guap's posts and given him a three day ban. Those of you who saw it probably know why.

My threshold for this sort of thing in any argument is pretty high, and I'm loathe to issue any ban (temporary or otherwise) to someone who's been egged on or provoked, who just loses their cool for a moment, who's trying to be humorous, etc. In this case, none of that applied, so there's no real choice to be made.

I'm going to reply to most of the post anyway (sans the abusive or insulting parts, naturally), and in a few days we'll see if he's able to reply in kind, or if it devolves into more of the same.

I'm going to try to focus on the core issues both with this discussion, and with all similar spats you've found yourself in the past. I hope you're prepared to respond seriously and maturely.

There is a big difference between disliking something and being an ignorant redneck who has not the cultural background to understand it. What I noticed here is that people without the required cultural background dismiss entire artistic worlds while insulting other people who have the proper cultural background to understand these works of art.
Now, there is no such thing as objectve tastes, however, I find pretty easy to understand the people's reactions here to the movies they watch and why they like of dislike something.
Why? This is the core contradiction: when people dislike what you like, it's because they're ignorant rednecks. But you are apparently in a position to psychoanalyze what they like and why. The insistence that you're fundamentally different from the people you disagree with is the source of 90% of the conflict you find yourself in.

Why don't people heap abuse on Zotis for jal90 for liking anime? Answer: they don't pretend people are ignorant for not being interested in it, and they don't claim some special mantle of perspective from which they can diagnose other people. They also don't make condescending assumptions about other people's motives or experiences.

So how can they dislike me and attack me personally if they don't know me?
They can't, but you have a bizarre definition of what constitutes a "personal attack." Earlier in this thread you listed examples of these attacks, and two of them were just people alluding to the fact that you liked anime.

I've seen this firsthand in the past: you once messaged me to complain that someone was attacking you, and you linked me to an example of someone criticizing a movie you liked. You even told me this felt like someone attacking your religion! This is just a basic failure of perspective: your taste in film is not a religion, and it's not an assault on you as a person if someone says they don't like it. You will continue to have unproductive, bitter arguments and suffer disproportionate emotional turmoil as long as you erroneously conflate these things.

And if they can't attack you personally without knowing you, then how can you presume to know them by generalizing that they are "ignorant rednecks"? They have heard just as much of your thought process and experiences as you have of theirs, so how are you in a position to know them, but they aren't in a position to know you?

I've said this before, and I'm going to say it again because it continues to be the best summary of all these fights: this is a simple lack of empathy. You give extraordinary weight to your own feelings when in conflict, and almost none to others'. You take for granted your ability to know others and judge their motives, but are terribly offended if someone dares to do the same to you.

This is the kind of thing people usually have drilled out of them as children. We all start off thinking we are the center of the universe, and that our own feelings are more important and powerful than anyone else's. Over time we learn that other people are just as complicated and nuanced as we are, and that their feelings matter just as much.

...disliking some element of American culture (like when I criticized that mediocre ethnic American comedy Fargo back in 2013 or just now in this thread when I criticized some mediocre Hollywood blockbuster).
So...why can't they claim that you disliked it because of your "cultural ignorance"? Because you lived in some other part of the U.S. for a short period of time before watching it? Have you lived in North Dakota?

This is a clear example of what I was just talking about: other people's negative opinions of something are blown up into culture-wide condemnations that tell you everything you need to know about them, but your own are ascribed subtlety and nuance and apparently don't tell anyone anything about who you are.

Its simply wrong to attack someone personally because he did not like the same movie as you did to the same degree.
Agreed. But it's not wrong to criticize someone who explains their disagreements by assuming the other person must be ignorant, or who is thin-skinned towards criticism of their favorite films or shows.

The idea that people criticize you just for the things you like is a total fiction. They criticize you for the way you respond to them. For example, I haven't dismissed anime at all, and here you are, calling me an ignorant redneck racist xenophobe.

Well, you are also a redneck and a xenophobe. This was clear back in January 2013, when you claimed its ok to just watch Hollywood and nothing else because all the talent for making movies is concentrated in the US. This is plain false and plain racist, specially because you did no actual research in actually knowing anything besides American movies, you "proof" for that statement was that "well, Del Toro is a foreigner and he works for Hollywood therefore all competent foreigner movie directors work for Hollywood". What pathetic excuse for such tremendously arrogant statement.
If I'd said that, it would be arrogant. But I didn't. Here's what I said:

Filmmaking is a collaborative process, so it has to gravitate towards where the money, labor, and expertise is. Lots of foreign filmmakers come here to make their movies. Lots of good ideas and talented people come here to contribute to the industry. What does it really even matter how the film is produced or distributed, anyway? I mean, Guillermo del Toro's from Mexico, but he makes "American" films, in the sense that they're largely made and financed here.
Nowhere there, or in any of the posts that followed, did I say anything close to "all competent foreigner movie directors work for Hollywood." Nor did I say it was okay to "just watch Hollywood and nothing else" (in fact, I said the opposite: "I'd certainly encourage people to try lots of different types of foreign films."). So what's arrogant is both misremembering this exchange and not having the self-awareness to wonder if maybe your memory was too convenient to be accurate. How much of this cultural martyrdom stuff is based on distorted memories, I wonder?

You also seem to have no sense of scale with words like "xenophobic" and "racist." Literally nothing about claiming that foreign talent gravitates towards Hollywood is either of those things. It'd certainly be inaccurate to say that all foreign filmmaking talent ends up there (or even most), but that still wouldn't be racist.

you ignorant computer programmer who has no awareness of your ethnic biases in the first place.
What on earth does me being a programmer have to do with anything? This really isn't any different than attaching someone's nationality to an insult ("Brazilian masturbator," to use your example) in that the only point seems to be to take what is a substantive criticism, and try to make it feel personal. There's no reason to do this that isn't blatantly immature.

Wow I am missing all the drama with my current work schedule.
MoFo drama is better than what you encounter as a cop?

MoFo drama is better than what you encounter as a cop?
Actually I get more then enough drama at work, so I try to avoid drama here. I much prefer to just sometimes watch a good movie and talk about it with others on the site or play some games.

But sometimes you see something and can't look away.