Orson Welles Appreciation Thread

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I know this will sound redundant, but yes, my favorite movie of his is "Citizen Kane" but I'd say I'd rather watch a 2-hour interview, as opposed to a 2-hour movie of his.

Orson Welles Interview Tomorrow with Tom Snyder 4-8-1975

F for Fake (Vérités et Mensonges) is my fav by Welles at the moment..
And The Third Man my fav with Welles..
Still many films with and by Welles I haven't seen though..
The Trial will probably be the next one I'll see..

Although my favorites of Welles' are Citizen Kane and The Third Man, I like everything he was ever in.

And I've been forever grateful to him for suggesting to Peter Bogdanovich that he film The Last Picture Show (1971) in black and white-- a novel masterstroke at the time.

The trick is not minding
Count me as a fan of The Stranger and The Trial as well.

The Magnificent Ambersons might be his best, that I’ve seen, so far. Which is probably about roughly half hai directed filmography.

The Trial is my favorite so far, but I also have a special fondness for The Stranger.

Same here. I watched The Trial earlier this year and was really blown away by it.

I'm so not in line with most MoFos movie taste. As much as I like Orson Welles and most of his films that I've seen, I couldn't finish The Trial. Twice I tried and the last time I made it about half way through before giving up on it.

Re: the above video I posted... I don't know why they included the scene from Mork & Mindy... although Mork's boss's name was "Orson", I never thought the voice was supposed to be an imitation or even a reference to Orson Welles in any way.

Similar with the Michael Palin skit - I remember that, but never made the connection that he was attempting to impersonate Welles... although the beard, the cape & the outfit do kind suggest that.

Although my favorites of Welles' are Citizen Kane and The Third Man, I like everything he was ever in.

And I've been forever grateful to him for suggesting to Peter Bogdanovich the he film The Last Picture Show (1971) in black and white-- a novel masterstroke at the time.
I didn't know that about The Last Picture Show and I agree it was a masterstroke. The black and white fit the movie perfectly.

You are correct, Captain, the Orson on Mork and Mindy had NOTHING to do with Orson Welles.
Thank you!
(Its inclusion kind of throws off what would have otherwise been a very amusing video of continuous Orson Welles impressions).

I absolutely love him. I especially love The Stranger, which was on my top 25 list. I also love listening to his radio plays. He just breathes such life into all the characters he plays.