The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I enjoyed Chicken Run but prefer The Curse of the Were-Rabbit and eventually voted for the latter... The Simpsons Movie I almost voted for and could've made my list, honestly, but in the end I just didn't know where to put it. Glad it made it though!

Haven't seen The Simpsons Movie (nor have I watched more than a handful of episodes since ca. 2000). Chicken Run is okay. Jungle book and Castle in the Sky are good but not enough to make my list apparently. I voted for Duck Amuck, Were-Rabbit and Tale of Tales (which I haven't seen in about 10 years, but still remember very fondly; don't expect my higher Norstein pick to make it at all). Haven't Seen Sleeping Beauty or Yellow Sub. in forever.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I had Chicken Run at #12. It is hilarious, charming and the animation is perfect for the subject matter. Julia Sawalha and Lynn Ferguson (Ginger and Mac) provide the perfect voice work for their chickens.

I love this style of animation. It was because of this movie that I so looked forward to The Pirates! but ended up being disappointed. That's alright because I can watch Chicken Run over and over. It's goofy and funny but with just the right amount of heart.

Chickens really are funny creatures but Scottish chickens are freakin' hilarious.

Mac will forever be my favorite chicken.

I had The Simpsons Movie at #12, yay. I don't know what they did to the animation in the movie but it looked so much better than the TV show.

Not a fan of The Simpsons Movie, but Chicken Run is alot of fun.

I had Alegro Non Troppo - Bolero at 16. When it was time to start watching films for the countdown, ANT was one of the first on my list mainly because Mark F had talked about it quite alot. I wasn't dissapointed, such a beautiful, fun movie another major plus was that the music was excellent something of a rarity in Animated movies for me. If it was eligible as a full movie it would've easily made my top 10.

Duck Amuck was my number 11. A list without Looney Tunes wasn't a possibility for me, it's one of the few massive parts of my childhood that i can and do happily watch as an adult. Overall i was considering eight for my list and settled for three. Duck Amuck features the best Looney Tune Daffy Duck, at his best it's difficult to say to much about a 7 minute cartoon without ruining it so i'll just say it's a very fun and creative short. Chuck Jones was a legend .

Watership Down was the other of mine to appear i had it at 22. Not sure about other countries, but Watership Down is one of the movies thats always on at christmas. It really was a massive part of my childhood, so much that i actually think i had it too low. In all honesty though i haven't watched it in a good 3 or 4 years.

The Curse of the Wererabbit and Paprika were the other two that nearly made my list. I did include all of the other Wallace and Gromits that i prefer.

Seen - 34/50
List - 3/25

08. Beavis And Butt-Head Do America (1996) - 66th
16. The Simpsons Movie (2007) - 51st
17. Watership Down (1978) - 75th

Somewhere out there I'm having a good time.
Now we're getting there...Three films revealed so far...

14. Mulan
23. The Simpsons Movie
24. Sleeping Beauty

Well, we're halfway through the countdown. I gotta say, this has been a lot more fun for me than I expected it to be, but it has also involved a great deal of work and frustration. I think the end result of the list is a good and interesting mix of the popular and the obscure. I hope the rest of you will agree once the list is fully revealed.

Here's what has appeared from my own ballot so far:

6. Surf's Up (#99)
8. Over the Hedge (Near Miss)
9. Chicken Run (#51)
10. Charlotte's Web (#57)
11. Despicable Me (#61)
16. The Emperor's New Groove (#80)
22. Lilo & Stitch (#83)

Anybody want to guess what films are going to kick off the top 50? Any predictions about the top 10?

Top 10 guess

1.Up
2.Wall E
3.Spirited Away
4.Toy Story
5.The Lion King
6.Princess Mononoke
7.Frozen
8.Toy Story 3
9.Beauty and the Beast
10.Fantastic Mr.Fox

Anybody want to guess what films are going to kick off the top 50? Any predictions about the top 10?
Well, I've known what the whole list was. I even posted the full list here on my website:

http://www.psychicisaac.com/top100animatedfilms

I'm having a little difficulty getting my site to work lately, though -- in case nothing shows up. I think it's North Korea's fault. Actually, I know it is.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
My top 10 guess

1. Up!
2. Toy Story
3. Grave of the Fireflies
4. Wall: E
5. The Incredibles
6. Spirited Away
7. The Fantastic Mr. Fox
8. The Nightmare Before Christmas
9. Finding Nemo
10. Toy Story 2

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I didn't realize that there was so much love for Pixar's Up here on the forum. It's one of my least favorite of Pixar's movies. (I don't dislike it. I just like most of their other movies more.)

Based on IMDB ratings and on previous performances of films in the decade pools I would guess something like this:

1. Up
2. Wall E
3. Ratatouille
4. Princess Mononoke (being the highest ranked foreign language film of all time in any poll here!)
5. Toy Story
6. The Lion King
7. Spirited Away
8. Grave of the Fireflies
9. Toy Story 3
10. Toy Story 2

Though Castle in the Sky would be top 15 by the same IMDB ratings but it is a little less well known film. Still it made the top 80 on the 1980's list, higher than many Pixar films did on those top of the decade lists though this is the effect of not being well known: in the top decades lists everybody cited only movies they loved, here many people didn't know many animated films so filed up with the top 25's with the most popular ones.

I guess nearly all Pixar films will be in the top 20 due to their popularity, except the truly awful ones which will be top 50 certainly (Cars 2 will show up probably over the next 20 entries, Brave as well). Overall I think I can guess like 45 of the next 50, including movies like:

Finding Nemo
South Park: The Movie
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Akira
Nausicaa
Ghost in the Shell (this one might not even make it even though I though it was an extremely popular film)
Only Yesterday (I still have hope for this one, so that all my own top 10 animated films on my top 100 makes the list!)
Whisper of the Heart
Howl's Moving Castle
maybe another Satoshi Kon film (Perfect Blue)
Porco Rosso
Beauty and the Beast
Monster's Inc.
Monster's University
Wreck it Ralph
Frozen
Tangled
Bambi
Alice in the Wonderland
Snow White
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The Movie 2nd A's (obviously )
Pinnochio
Fantasia
Dumbo
The Incredibles
Cars
Cars 2
Brave
Shrek
Pocahontas
Little Mermaid
How to Train Your Dragon
The Wrong Trousers
The Man Who Planted Trees
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Fantastic Mister Fox
The Land Before Time (not so sure about this one)
maybe some Scooby Doo movie (lol)

Ok, that's 48 movies that I guess will show up over the next 50 entries (Nanoha I think will be a good one to nominate for the next hall of fame or maybe not , Scooby Doo was a joke). Pretty much every major Disney animated feature will make the list, every Pixar film and every Miyazaki film.

Haven't seen it myself, but it seems like a popular movie. All i care about is Princess Mononoke making the top 10.
First time for a foreign language film to make a top 10! It is still the most powerful animated film I ever watched a true masterpiece.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Got a guess of your own?
Top 10 Prediction
1. Up
2. Toy Story
3. Wall E
4. Spirited Away
5. Toy Story 3
6. Toy Story 2
7. Fantastic Mr. Fox
8. The Incredibles
9. Grave of the Fireflies