RIP Tobe Hooper

Tools    

This movie as everything that make me love horror. One of my all-time favorite not just for the century. Super 8 shots are fantastic.
Yeah, i wasn't talking about personal favourites though. I was meaning what films will be remembered like Halloween or The Exorcist or whatever are 30 years from now whether you yourself like the film or not. Personally i don't see it for Sinister but i could be wrong.

CLASSIC.

Tobe Hooper.
After The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, there was nowhere to go but down in quality. He revolutionized horror films with his visceral shocker using next to no gore. When given the opportunity to direct Spielberg's Poltergeist, he got it done, but was locked out of the editing room and shamed inside the studio system as being a legal distraction for Spielberg's directing contract. A few years later he spent Israeli money on his biggest big budget achievement, Lifeforce, sadly, his last truly solid film. That was 1985. For years fans have waited in vain for Tobe to reclaim his throne as an innovator, and use his years of industry experience and pull to land another classic. But it is not to be. R.I.P Tobe Hooper.

With that said, I just bought the SHOUT blu ray edition of The Funhouse, a film I've nver seen, but heard great things about. Get em' while they're cheap!

What do you guys recommend watching that's new in the horror genre? Everything looks mostly awful to me. Give us your list of horror films that you love from 2010 to now. Or maybe some years earlier.
Here's a top 25 21st century horror list i made on Letterboxd - https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/...-21st-century/

Some of those like Trouble Every Day i doubt will be for you but you may like some of them. Would be interested in what you think of Behind The Mask, it's a Horror/Comedy making fun of slashers.

The truth is in here
Yeah, this is just awful. Another great horror director gone.
Aside of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I enjoyed The Funhouse (it's flawed yes, but still fun) and liked Lifeforce as well. Funny, crazy sci-fi horror ride.

R.I.P.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I saw Poltergeist first and that was one insane film but I loved it. However, it was when I saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the first time that I said this was ingenious as it wasn't so much a bloody film but a total "mind f**k". I lent the film to two people during my college days, including my Film Studies mentor. They both told me the same thing: they couldn't finish it because once they showed the scene where the van passes by a bunch of cows, they turned it off because they remembered the cannibal theme. I was shocked but assured them that it's more mind-blowing than gory, but they still held their stance.

To this day, The original Chain Saw remains my all time favorite horror film. RIP Tobe and Thank You for introducing the world to Leatherface!

The Bib-iest of Nickels
It has always been said that Tobe Hooper didn't really do a whole lot of directing for Poltergeist, and that it was Spielberg using him as a vessel for his own creation. As for his other films, I can't really say I was a fan of his, still, it's always sad to see a person go. He'll be missed by many.

Yeah, i wasn't talking about personal favourites though. I was meaning what films will be remembered like Halloween or The Exorcist or whatever are 30 years from now whether you yourself like the film or not. Personally i don't see it for Sinister but i could be wrong.
Sinister is one of my all-time favorite horror films, but it's true that, as of this moment, it won't stand the test of time years later. The Conjuring and Get Out are two horror films I believe will be talked about a lot in proceeding decades, even though I liked Conjuring 2 more than the first.

Not a fan of TTCM but I adore Poltergeist and getting the crap scared out of me as a little kid watching Salem's Lot on holiday in a caravan somewhere (that bit with the kid's dead brother scratching at the window, shudder!) is an iconic childhood memory.
RIP.