The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Le Trou was my #10, a really tense movie I liked a lot.

Mary Poppins I have seen, it has its moments but is a bit silly for my taste. Haven't seen either of the westerns and did not in fact vote for any westerns, although a couple were in consideration.

My list so far at the half way mark:

1. A Taste of Honey
2. ?????
3. Army of Shadows
4. ?????
5.?????
6. ?????
7. They Shoot Horses Don’t They?
8. ??????
9. ??????
10. Le Trou
11. ??????
12. ??????
13. ??????
14. Blowup
15. ??????
16. ??????
17. ??????
18. ??????
19. ??????
20. ??????
21. ??????
22. ??????
23. ??????
24. ??????
25. ??????

I think 10 more of mine will show, with a couple more possible. I'm finding it hard to predict what other people might have voted for.

Seen 27/52

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
This post is sarcastically dedicated to cricket! But in truth, it's dedicated to christine! I don't have much to say about Le trou except that it's very simple and good, and a lot of people watched it for a HoF. Mary Poppins was my #7. I know that many think it's a kiddie movie, and what's worse, a musical sung in English, but we who voted for it do love it and our families love it too, and given a chance, you can love it just as much as a Tarkovsky or a horror flick.
Mary Poppins (Robert Stevenson, 1964)

I can hear it now... what's wrong with mark throwing in musicals, but I don't get hung up on musicals or Americans with "lousy English accents". What kind of movie do you expect Mary Poppins to be? A docudrama? I expected it to be a joyous, funny celebration of the power of the imagination to help people of all ages to improve their life. I expected Julie Andrews to do a magnificent job. I expected to enjoy the animated scenes and to feel good while watching the movie. I expected a cinematic treat. All my expectations were met and surpassed, and they continue to be to this very day.
This is my wife's favorite song from the movie.

Mary Poppins is a film every Brit must have seen at least once in their lifetime. I remember watching it quite a few times when I was younger, I think my Nan loved it. I always thought it was okay, but never particularly liked it, even then I much preferred something like Fantastia, or a James Bond film. I think it was inevitable that it would appear on this list. Those who like it, really seem to love it, and four big votes seem to have been very key in getting the film just about in the top half.

Not seen Le Trou (I used the English spelling in my graphic as IMDb lists it like that too) but it looks like an excellent film that I look forward to getting to eventually

Thank you Mark! x
As we oldies know, Mary Poppins is a perfect film, crammed full of fun songs . I don't give a damn about Dick Van Dyke's wonky Cockney accent, it doesn't need to be perfect, he's a great Bert and a great dancer. I love the English character actors and the funny unshowbizzy pair of children, but most of all I love Julie Andrews as the bossy, snippy Mary, she's just perfect. This was my number 5 and one of 6 musicals (or films with songs in) I had on my list.

I also had Le Trou as my number 17. I think it's a terrific film that manages to hold the tension all the way through.

Maori Bobbins (as Dick would say)? Really?

One of my least favourite "classic" movies along with Gene Wilder version of Chocolate Factory.

I had Mary Poppins at 15. I saw it a long time ago but I had good memory of the plot. I planned on re-watching it before I sent in my list but I never got to it. If I had watched it again, it probably have been slightly higher.

101. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (4)
97. Seconds

93. Fail Safe

88. Jungle Book

87. From Russia With Love (11)
86. Blow Up

85. Italian Job (19)
84. Cape Fear

77. The Lion in Winter (3)
72. True Grit (23)
66. In the Heat of the Night (21)
57. Charade

53. A Hard Day's Night (25)
52. The Man who Shot Liberty Valance

51. A Fistful of Dollars

49. Mary Poppins (15)

7/25 of my films

15/52 Overall

Also just for curiosity, for those who don't like Mary Poppins and/or the Gene Wilder Wonka can you please explain why?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Maori Bobbins (as Dick would say)?
Well, Mary Poppins was blown into London by an East wind. I know she just happened to fly in from New Zealand, so Dick's pronunciation added to the film's wit and verisimilitude.

Huh, never really cared for Mary Poppins growing up, I always like Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious though. Didn't think it would make this list.
You didn't think Mary Poppins would make a MoFo list? Really? Have you not seen the films this lot love?

Le Trou is very good and almost made my list. I've probably seen Mary Poppins but don't remember anything.

My list:

1. Late Autumn
2. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
8. The Human Condition III
10. An Autumn Afternoon
13. In the Heat of the Night
17. Red Desert
22. Viridiana
25. Fail-Safe

Seen 41 of 52

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
Mary Poppins wasn't in the running for my list but I certainly enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I expected to given my prejudice towards Disney films.

You didn't think Mary Poppins would make a MoFo list? Really? Have you not seen the films this lot love?
It more so just didn't come to my mind when I was thinking 60s films, same with Jungle Book

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Was Mary Poppins a Disney film? I don't think I knew that.
You never knew that? Well, it is the only Disney movie (non-animated, I am saying) that I ever really liked (although in recent years they have improved). I just didn't like anything from that era by them that wasn't a cartoon.

Anyway, damn straight I had "Mary Poppins" at #12. And I make no apologies for it either.

But, truth be told, this was one of the movies that I was talking about last night when I said that there were at least 4 that weren't going to make it from my list. Even though I really like it, I honestly didn't think it was going to make it at all.

Record number of non-English movies here,

100. Black Sunday (Mario Bava, 1960) [59] (*)
99. The Trial (Orson Welles, 1962) [59]
98. A Taste of Honey (Tony Richardson, 1961) [61]
97. Seconds (John Frankenheimer, 1966) [61]
96. Birdman of Alcatraz (John Frankenheimer, 1962) [61]

95. The Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer (Masaki Kobayashi, 1961) [63] (*)
94. Knife in the Water (Roman Polanski, 1962) [63]
93. Fail-Safe (Sidney Lumet, 1964) [63]
92. Viridiana (Luis Buñuel, 1961) [64] (*)
91. Barefoot in the Park (Gene Saks, 1967) [64]

90. Oliver! (Carol Reed, 1968) [66]
89. My Night at Maud's (Eric Rohmer, 1969) [67] (*)
88. The Jungle Book (Wolfgang Reitherman, 1967) [67]
87. From Russia With Love (Terence Young, 1963) [68]
86. Blow-Up (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1966) [69] (*)

85. The Italian Job (Peter Collinson, 1969) [69]
84. Cape Fear (J. Lee Thompson, 1962) [70]
83. The Music Man (Morton DaCosta, 1962) [71]
82. Red Desert (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1964) [72] (*)
81. Through a Glass Darkly (Ingmar Bergman, 1961) [74] (*)

80. La Jetée (Chris Marker, 1962) [76] (*)
79. Hud (Martin Ritt, 1963) [77]
78. In Cold Blood (Richard Brooks, 1967) [77]
77. The Lion in Winter (Anthony Harvey, 1968) [82]
76. They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (Sydney Pollack, 1969) [84]

75. Late Autumn (Yasujirō Ozu, 1960) [85] (*)
74. Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (Stanley Kramer, 1967) [86]
73. What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? (Robert Aldrich, 1962) [87]
72. True Grit (Henry Hathaway, 1969) [88]
71. The Dirty Dozen (Robert Aldrich, 1967) [89]

70. Belle de Jour (Luis Buñuel, 1967) [89] (*)
69. The Battle of Algiers (Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966) [90] (*)
68. The Swimmer (Frank Perry & Sydney Pollack, 1968) [90]
67. The Virgin Spring (Ingmar Bergman, 1960) [96] (*)
66. In the Heat of the Night (Norman Jewison, 1967) [96]

65. Contempt (Jean-Luc Godard, 1963) [101] (*)
64. Inherit the Wind (Stanley Kramer, 1960) [105]
63. L'Avventura (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960) [107]
62. Onibaba (Kaneto Shindo, 1964) [108]
61. Repulsion (Roman Polanski, 1965) [110]

60. Red Beard (Akira Kurosawa, 1965) [112] (*)
59. Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard, 1960) [112] (*)
58. Army of Shadows (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1969) [114] (*)
57. Charade (Stanley Donen, 1963) [116]
56. Lolita (Stanley Kubrick, 1962) [116]

55. Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966) [126] (*)
54. An Autumn Afternoon (Yasujirō Ozu, 1962) [128] (*)
53. A Hard Day's Night (Richard Lester, 1964) [135]
52. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (John Ford, 1962) [136]
51. A Fistful of Dollars (Sergio Leone, 1964) [144]

18 out of 50. I expect even more in the 1950's list. To bad Horus didn't make it, I guess it had like 45-50 points. Considering it's among the most influential animated film ever made, perhaps the most influential, it was a big miss for fans of the medium.

But, truth be told, this was one of the movies that I was talking about last night when I said that there were at least 4 that weren't going to make it from my list. Even though I really like it, I honestly didn't think it was going to make it at all.
Gotta have faith in us

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Hole is an amazing film! I give it

It wasn't on my list.

I haven't even seen Mary Poppins, but this song sounds cool:

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Master of My Domain
*Checks this thread in the morning with great hope*

*Result: One i haven't heard of, one I simply dislike, except for that song*

*Leaves and sighs*

Ummm... I guess the next set will be better right? Daniel?